Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2010, 21:42   #46
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
How many people on CF does it take to change a light bulb?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 22:08   #47

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
Finally someone mentioned "conventional flow" and "electron flow" theory. So that's on the right track. Never heard of hole flow, and I worked classified electronics systems in the Air Force. I recall electron flow being out of ground and conventional flow being into ground. Electron flow being the newer idea and is negative seeking positive, the higher potential energy.

In a schematic symbol of a diode the electron flow sees it as current flow against the arrow in the symbol. So, "backwards" if you will since the symbol predates the new theory.

On the subject of conductors, copper in this thread, one might ask why does it do so. That is why conduct? Others have mentioned a willingness for the electrons to move from one atom to the next, but specifically this is related to the shells of electrons orbiting the nucleus of the atom. I forget the number, but different levels of shells moving outward. The last shell only contains one electron. It is referred to as a covalent electron if I recall correctly. And it does want to jump over in the direction of positive potential. I guess leaving the infamous hole mentioned from whence it came. Consequently putting two on the outer shell of the next atom, encouraging it to move along, and so on. Also electrons flow more on the outer surface of a wire strand than internally, that's good for connections.

For what it's worth, insulators have atoms with crowded outer shells. Many electrons, not so eager to move around from outer shell to outer shell.

Good thread, but I forgot what the question was.

I've experienced the supernatural, but not in any way related to electrons.

Oh, it's the unified field theory someone was describing a bit back. Not really black holes or dark matter, that's newer stuff. But rather trying to write a formula that combines the fundamental forces. We have electro-magnetic combined, and there is an electro-weak theory progressing. (i'm behind on this subject possibly) But putting those two with the strong nuclear force and gravity it a tough one. They smash atoms in the colliders to generate data to crunch as I'm sure all are aware.

I'll have to skip string theory for now.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 22:41   #48

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking
Volume of a pizza...

As long as we're getting formulaic (& a bit off topic) I'm wondering if anyone knows the volume of a Pizza of radius (z) and thickness (a)?

The volume of a cylinder is the area of the circle X its height (or thickness). The area of a circle is (Pi X Radius squared). So that makes the volume Pi*r*r*h. Substituting our original radius (z) and thickness (a) we find that the volume of the pizza is ... Pizza (of course!)

Best Season's Greetings from hot Malaysia, all!
Old 24-12-2010, 23:21   #49
cruiser

i am so slow...
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 03:50   #50
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
How many people on CF does it take to change a light bulb?

At least 3 pages worth of reply posts. First need to determine the voltage, then the type of bulb, review the battery capacity, determine whether going to be able to charge the battery.

There will be a detour for a page or so as we discuss cruising on $500/yr and that means can not have any light bulbs. Alternate forms of light will need to be explored including jars of lightning bugs.

In the end we will find there wasn't anything wrong with the bulb; it was just a loose wire. Which will start a couple more pages of posts.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 13:36   #51

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
At least 3 pages worth of reply posts. First need to determine the voltage, then the type of bulb, review the battery capacity, determine whether going to be able to charge the battery.

There will be a detour for a page or so as we discuss cruising on $500/yr and that means can not have any light bulbs. Alternate forms of light will need to be explored including jars of lightning bugs.

In the end we will find there wasn't anything wrong with the bulb; it was just a loose wire. Which will start a couple more pages of posts.
And, of course, one can only SAFELY change a light bulb whilst lying to a Rock-la anchor.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 25-12-2010, 14:49   #52
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Of course we can see them.... just look at the sky at night... or our solar system...

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 16:50   #53

Boat: 78 Pearson323 Four Winds
I like the humor in the thread, I think it's not intended to stop continued discussion.

In the OP's second post in the thread was stated,
"But it is this "electrical energy" that Don refers to that the electrons, presumably, are "carrying" that I was trying to understand."

Two posts down in a solo post Thumper stated,
"The free electrons move from atom to atom. This movement of negatively charged "free" electrons is the energy your looking for."
Also mentioned electron flow without naming it and other good points.

To me this electron movement is a mechanism for transfer of energy from one place to another or one state/form or another.

Gord stated the energy lies in the chemistry of the battery, correctly, and it's a mysterious thing (we discuss) but not magic. In DC this energy moves through circuits and uses it's relationship to magnetism to do everything we as humans have been able to accomplish with this duo. It's the right hand thumb rule if interested.

That electromagnetic relationship and induction, and resistance in circuits are the make up of transformers, solenoids, motors, generators, and everything else we understand and build that is electrical. This is what we get because of understanding the combination on this part of the unified field theory. Get it all right, it'll be all Star Warzy and cool.
four winds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 16:50   #54

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
The way I heard it was.............
Milli Amp was attracted to Micro Volt so they went over the Wheatstone bridge for a little fluxing and came back with a bunch of tiny electrons.
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2010, 18:25   #55
cruiser

she obviously didnt put up much resistance!
Old 25-12-2010, 18:27   #56
cruiser

ok, and for the un PC electronics comment o' the day

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly"
Old 26-12-2010, 00:51   #57

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
ok, and for the un PC electronics comment o' the day

"Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly"
I was taught that Violet goes willingly.

oh well I guess it doesn't matter.

Black Brown Red Orange Yellow Green Blue Violet Grey White
Sorry it's been a while.
Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 04:57   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morganministry View Post
Incidentally even a straight wire has a minute amount of electro magnetism.
Scott
ATA Degree .... Electronics technology
How minute?
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 11:22   #59

The Lightness of Dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
we dont know what dark energy or dark matter is... the term DARK is an accurate euphanism to describe something we cant see... erego it is dark...
Watt a fun thread! The "Dark Side" is really "Light" - this
https://www.msu.edu/user/dynicrai/physics/dark.htm will explain it all.
ShipShape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 21:14   #60

Boat: Buccaneer 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
How minute?
That depens on the current. Might be enough to mess with a compass. If you look at an electro magnet it has a coil of wire in it. If you seperate the loops in the coil, the magnetism is still there, just not as strong. As you pull it apart further, the magnetism goes down even more but is still there. As you pull the wire straight, the magnetism still goes down, But it is still there.

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote