Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2020, 15:58   #1

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50
Engine coolant

I had no idea how complicated engine coolant could be. I had a total loss of coolant in my Fisher Panda 12 mini from a hose leak at the base of the generator. I fixed the leak and refilled with Bardahl yellow coolant as that was all that was available in Fort de France Martinique. I am now in Le Marin Martinique and need to top up and bleed the system but this type of antifreeze is not available here. I can get Racing Car brand red or blue only. Called Fisher Panda an they said they mix brands all the time, but not the colour, although from what I have read, colour is almost meaningless now. To top it all off, it is apparently very difficult to drain all of the coolant from these generators. I have two options, top up the yellow coolant with red or blue, or try to drain the yellow, flush multiple times with new coolant to get all the yellow out, and refill with Race Car red or blue. There are not a lot of details on either container. Any insights would be appreciated.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 16:30   #2

Boat: Outremer 50S
Re: Engine coolant

Do you still have the Bardahl container? Is it their "-38" product and/or does it have the "G12+" specification on the front. If so then it is their "universal coolant".

In Racing Car, the pink is their universal coolant and should have a note on the label "compatible avec tous les types de LR (mineral et organique)" which translates to "compatible with all types of coolants" and should be pretty much the same thing as the Bardahl coolant. Even if you have a different Bardahl the pink Racing Car should be compatible. Not a fan of mixing myself, but probably OK in that scenario. Be interesting to see the color of the final product.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 16:57   #3

Boat: 2011 Hunter 50

The Bardahl is -35 universal type, for any type of engine. I would like to think that it would go well with the Racing Car pink universal tropicalisee.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	359B0C7C-0A56-4700-80D6-906A2C821F91.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	206637   Click image for larger version

Name:	41D7D11B-EE72-4F56-8F47-6A5FC490456F.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	206639  

zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 17:07   #4

The color is completely irrelevant to the function of the product. It is a dye added so you can see what fluid is leaking from the engine. Match up ethylene glycol concentrations and you will be fine.

Same reason transmission fluid is red. Nothing at all to do with the "active" ingredients. Just an identifying dye.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coolant, engine