Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2009, 15:24   #16

Boat: Beneteau 36.7
Thanks for the responses. I'll pull one of the house batteries out to check the age but recently I replaced the starter battery, also a Lifeline AGM and it was ten years old (Lasted us nearly a year after the purchase of the boat).

I'm not quite sure if I hastened its demise yet. The house bank has been having problems since we bought the boat but the starter seemed pretty strong when we got it, as proven after an incident with a fuel filter....

Unfortuantly work is getting in the way of the boat (writing this from the office). Will have to to drain with a steady charge and recharge to see if that helps. Equalizing will have to wait another week or so I have a Freedom inverter so will grab the instructions and see how to get it to deliver the right voltage.

Will post back with results as I get them.
theonecalledtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2009, 04:46   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Charging Procedures for Lifeline AGM Batteries
There are a lot of different opinions about battery charging and we hope this will help clear up any confusion that our customers have. AGM batteries are still technically a lead acid battery and they charge very similar to a wet cell. Regardless of what some rumors portray, AGM batteries are not as sensitive as once believed. They often get confused with Gel Batteries, which are very sensitive to voltage and they need a special charger. Lifeline AGM batteries can also be equalized to regain capacity if need be (instructions for equalizing is listed below).
Goto:
Lifeline AGM Batteries Charging Procedure

Fullriver AGM Charging Instructions:
To correct both minor sulfating and irregular cell development we recommend bringing the battery slightly past it’s gassing voltage for a short time period.
This involves charging the battery at 15.0 - 15.5 volts for 12 volt batteries at approximately 6 amps for 3 to 12 hours.

Goto:
http://www.fullriverdcbattery.com/charging.pdf

What is Equalization?
Liquid electrolyte batteries that have been floated at a low voltage for long periods need to be periodically equalized. Equalization is the process that equalizes the specific gravity in all the cells. Basically, equalization amounts to a controlled overcharge.
Some, maybe all, Absorbed Glass Matte, (AGM), batteries may also need periodic equalization. Consult the manufacturer for specific guidelines.

Goto:
Equalization

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm