Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 07:52   #1

EU 230v boat and US Shore Power

I've researched this and read so much from the forum here but I'm super confused.

My dock has 240v 50amp or 30 amp service at the dock, I have a 230v 2023 Fountaine Pajot ISAL 40 boat.

How can I plug this boat into shore power? The boat has EU plugs (3 prongs). when I bought the boat used, they gave me some weird adaptor. But there's no way to plug this into the boat.

Is there any way I can plug this boat into the dock without doing all kinds of changes to it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9826.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	261.4 KB
ID:	292625

Name:	IMG_9827.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	292626

Name:	IMG_9828.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	292627

Name:	IMG_9829.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	251.2 KB
ID:	292628
blackc2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:24   #2

Boat: Southerly 480
Re: EU 230v boat and US Shore Power

Short answer: Maybe, but you should hire a marine electrician for a review and any work if you're confused. I have a UK boat in the US, and I had a marine electrician come review everything before we connected to shore just to be safe.

The easiest way is to get a universal charger, and run everything off your inverter. This is the way to go if you're going to be going between ports of different voltage/frequency. This is also the way if you have any expensive equipment that won't run at 60hz, e.g. your air con units.

Presuming you want to power from 240v/60hz shore, and you have a galvanic isolator, double pole breakers on your circuits, and a 32 amp RCBO/ELCI you may be ok. You'll also need to verify any 230v/50hz equipment will run at 60hz. Older air conditioning, microwaves, and washer/dryers all tend to be sensitive to frequency. You also want to ensure your inverter is turned off while connected to shore, and that the GI's neutral is not grounded on ship side. You basically run split-phase with a floating neutral which is why double pole breakers are required.

Presuming all is good, you can either make a pig tail for the shore connection or cut off the end and add the 50amp plug. You don't bring neutral from shore. Just L1, L2, and ground.

This is what I remember off the top of my head. I highly recommend you get professional help for at least a review if not doing any of the work.
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:34   #3

Boat: Lagoon 380

Ours was the opposite. US boat that needed shore power that was 32 amp 230v 50hz. We put in a Victron Skylla charger and a second shore power plug. The Skylla connects to the charging bus and charges the batteries while our Quattro is in inverter mode only. The couple of times we have had to use it it worked flawlessly.

Cheyne
Cheyne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:15   #4

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

My French built boat is set up for 230, 50 Hz.
I would never hook it up directly to US 240, 60 Hz.
Many electronic devices don't like the change in Hz. It will kill a washing machine and most motor driven devices don't like it.

As said above I would run everything through an inverter/charger. I have minimal need for shore power thanks to solar. My only shore power on the US 60Hz line is for the battery charger that I have yet to use.
NorthCoastJoe is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, power, shore power