Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2008, 02:45   #1

Boat: sv ZILVER-Kalik 44
Experience with BlueSky Solar charger?

We have 320 Watt solar energy and some wind energy (Ruthland, it loads not too much, but is very quiet, almost silent). All the regulators can be adjusted to sealed lead acid batteries. We have 2 banks of sealed lead batteries, 100Amps and 480Amps. In the future we want to have 2 extra panels of 85W.

I want to chance my SunWare fox 350 solar regulator, because with lots of sun it is a little bit too small. It only loads max 20 amps. I love this regulator because of the loading part of two banks. When one bank is full it starts to load the auxiliary bank.
I’m very interested to buy a MPPT loader because of the more efficient way of charging.

Q1: Does anyone have experience with BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL MPPT 40Amps charger. The auxiliary output can serve as a 2A auxiliary battery charger (I know how MPPT works)
Q2: Can I put a on/off switch between the second battery bank if I want to load only the main batterybank?
Q3: Can I put my wind generator on the same charger?

Paul
s/v Zilver
www. zilverzeiler.nl
Paul Willems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2008, 18:35   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Paul,

It seems as if no one has a 3024iL controller, but the user manual for the 3024i http://www.cmdsolar.com/pdf/Manual_BSE_SB3024i.pdf says

AUXILIARY BATTERY CHARGE – DIP #4 OFF
The auxiliary charge function is used to charge a separate battery of the same voltage as the primary battery. Control is such
that the primary battery is first priority and the auxiliary battery is second priority. If charge is off or the primary battery is in Bulk, no
power is diverted to the auxiliary battery. If the primary battery is in Acceptance or Float meaning the primary battery does not need
all available power, up to 2 amps is diverted to the auxiliary battery at roughly the same charge voltage as the primary battery.
Auxiliary battery voltage can be displayed on the IPN-ProRemote. Auxiliary battery charge is disabled during equalization.

donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2008, 01:02   #3

Thanks, A want I buy the product in the USA, because they don’t sell it in Europe, so I wanted to now if it is a good product.

Paul
s/v Zilver
www.zilverzeiler.nl
Old 23-11-2008, 18:37   #4

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
A1. I have two 2512iX Controlers and like them, no problems, pretty easy to set-up. I also buy the IPN-Pro remote with it so I could monitor the batteries/solar input better which has been helpful even with the other monitor/gauges already on board.

A2. Yes I suppose you could - or use the Aux load

A3. I don't think you could.

I would give Blue Sky a call and ask for an Application Engineer, I spoke to one at the boat show">Miami boat show last year and he was helpful and knowledgeable. They should be able to give you much better answers for Q2&3.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2008, 04:30   #5

Thanks, you are right with the batteries monitor

Thanks, I will do that or send them an e-mail. I am very interested in users experience like yours. You are right with the batteries monitor. We have one and it is very nice to see what happens, but sometime it’s a pain in the ….. because you see every movement. Where are the good old days of living on board only with a battery for starting?!
I have so much electronic stuff on board, and …I like it.
When I get the answer for Question 3, I will put it on the forum.

Paul
s/v Zilver
www.zilverzeiler.nl

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffr View Post
A1. I have two 2512iX Controlers and like them, no problems, pretty easy to set-up. I also buy the IPN-Pro remote with it so I could monitor the batteries/solar input better which has been helpful even with the other monitor/gauges already on board.

A2. Yes I suppose you could - or use the Aux load

A3. I don't think you could.

I would give Blue Sky a call and ask for an Application Engineer, I spoke to one at the Miami boat show last year and he was helpful and knowledgeable. They should be able to give you much better answers for Q2&3.