Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2012, 20:37   #16

Re: Fan Belt Alarm

Delmarrey, I did not see the semantic when I was looking at the relay. Based on your picture I believe the buzzer should be hooked up to pin 10. The idiot light comes on when the alternator failes.

Regarding raw water cooling side of the system, you could put a flow sensor on the output or input side of the water pump">raw water pump also I believe you can get a pressure switched from an outboard motor. This is based on what I have been told. My two cents, Mike.
Florida Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 05:09   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Best bet is a raw water flow meter, that's detects failed belts, failed impellers, blocked filters and reacts even before exhaust temp sensors. Several companies do them and it's not difficult to source industrial paddle wheel systems. If you use a meter you can detect eroding impellers and gradually blocking filters and heat exchangers. I never understand why 20k engines have Micky mouse sensors.

Dave
Old 25-01-2012, 09:35   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Mike View Post
Delmarrey, I did not see the semantic when I was looking at the relay. Based on your picture I believe the buzzer should be hooked up to pin 10. The idiot light comes on when the alternator failes.

Regarding raw water cooling side of the system, you could put a flow sensor on the output or input side of the raw water pump also I believe you can get a pressure switched from an outboard motor. This is based on what I have been told. My two cents, Mike.
The schematic didn't show whether the switch was normally on or off (NO/NF). And I hadn't energized in my head, Which would make you right.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	relay.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	192.1 KB
ID:	36431  
Old 25-01-2012, 16:45   #19

Boat: Vagabond, Westwind Ketch, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I don't understand. If your belt goes your alternate output will go to zero and trigger the light, which will also mean you aren't pumping water. Right? Sounds like you already have the alarm you want. Just hook up a buzzer in addition to the light.
The alarm I have right now is that my engine is overheating. Thats what I'm trying to figure out how to do, hook up the buzzer. What will give the ground the buzzer wants when the belt breaks?
Helimech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 16:59   #20

Boat: Vagabond, Westwind Ketch, 42'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
But, your belt alarm does nothing for a water pump impeller that's gone south. Put in an exhaust temperature alarm, and you kill several birds with one stone. I mean, $74 to save an engine?
After thinking about it this won't work with my engine. My raw water pump is gear driven not by the belt. The belt drives the fresh water pump. I still like this for the raw water side though.
Helimech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alarm