Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2020, 19:45   #1

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner
Fiddles on induction cooktop

Hi all. Having finished the solar and LiFePO4 upgrade, I now have copious amounts of power to use up and am considering options for my upcoming oven/stove upgrade. I am leaning towards a traditional gimballed gas stove, but am also pondering building a unit myself using a household grade fan forced gas oven combined with a household grade induction cooktop.

An item of concern to me is cooking underway and the lack of fiddles if I go down that route.

Does anyone know of any aftermarket bolt on fiddles or similar that would solve this problem? Any other ideas?
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:04   #2

Boat: 44ft mono hull
Re: Fiddles on induction cooktop

I installed an induction hob and didnt bother with fiddles. Instead I have a silicon sheet on the induction top that stops all slippage of pans. mexico to new zealand last year and didnt have a single accident.

I also use it on the countertops to stop chopping boards/plates from sliding around.

Edit, I should mention that the induction is still gimballed
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:18   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly75 View Post
I installed an induction hob and didnt bother with fiddles. Instead I have a silicon sheet on the induction top that stops all slippage of pans. mexico to new zealand last year and didnt have a single accident.

I also use it on the countertops to stop chopping boards/plates from sliding around.

Edit, I should mention that the induction is still gimballed

Interesting. So you just slip the silicon sheet between the glass and the pot? Food still heats up just as quickly?
Old 30-11-2020, 20:27   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Have you considered an electric convection oven instead of the gas oven?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:30   #5

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

If you go induction, go 220 volt or you will be disappointed with results
W.T.Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 20:47   #6

Boat: 44ft mono hull

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwillems View Post
Interesting. So you just slip the silicon sheet between the glass and the pot? Food still heats up just as quickly?
Yep, although I leave it on there the whole time. Dont get the thicker sheets as that can slow the cooking (if I remember correctly mine is 2mm thick) and i replace mine after about six months as they start to fall apart.

Thinking about it there might be an induction top avaliable that already has a silicone top. I have a vague memory of one of the YT channels imstalling one. Possibly delos?
Olly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.T.Gross View Post
If you go induction, go 220 volt or you will be disappointed with results

And why is that? Details, mate

Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:13   #8

https://www.magneticcooky.com/silico...op-comparison/

and with links to reviews.

Hope it helps,

Merlin
MerlinBrasil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:33   #9

Boat: Garcia Passoa 50, ex Dix 38 pilothouse

interesting about the silicone matt.... ill be upgrading to electric after the lithium change over this year.

As far as fiddles your local fabricator can make those up for you easily.

Check this thing out:

Its got more volume than a regular boat oven, you can put a 5 qt dutch oven in it,

https://www.breville.com/us/en/produ...ns/bov900.html
lamadriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 11:10   #10

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinBrasil View Post
And why is that? Details, mate

Merlin
First, let me say I have no personal experience with induction so what I have been told may be total BS. But this is how it was explained to me. If you only ever use one of the hobs, no problem. But if you require both hobs at their higher setting, it can't handle the load so it divides the power.

My son uses induction hob at his business (only to make hot water). He tells me the 220V will bring to temp faster than 110V.

Since you called me out on my statement, I thought I'd do a little research (something I should have done before). I looked at motorhome groups and most had positive things to say about their 110V units. But it also seemed that finding 220V motorhome or a campsite that provides 220V is a rarity.

When I go lithium and swap out my LP for induction I plan to go 220V induction even when this boat is all 110V and it will require some changes to power it up. We like to cook on this boat, it is not uncommon to use more than one burner. I don't want that to change.

I'm open to other opinions, this is just mine.
W.T.Gross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:58   #11

Boat: Seawind 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post
interesting about the silicone matt.... ill be upgrading to electric after the lithium change over this year.

Check this thing out:

Its got more volume than a regular boat oven, you can put a 5 qt dutch oven in it,

Wow a recipe book for air frying in the Breville link. Haven't seen one before here in Oz so have been guessing about 2/3 the time given for an oven. But I can't get potato or sweet potato chips right or what you guys across the double ditch might call French fries. The former are great if I use left over takeaway chips.
And yes I bought a single induction for my boat 2 years ago from ALDI and tried it out by sitting on my electric cooktop and it's all I have used since (with silicon to preserve the top) and am waiting for the next ALDI special for the boat��. But I have heard operation complaints with multiple plate units.
phalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 18:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamadriver View Post

Check this thing out:

Interesting, but even though it's fairly low wattage (1800), I will be sticking with a gas oven. I have oodles of gas storage, and only so much inverter capacity. I want to be able to use the (gas) oven and the (electric) cooktop at the same time.