Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2021, 04:56   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: FireFly Battery Notes II

Please try to not drift too much here into a standard battery/electrical topic. All that happens is your general question gets lost to input from those not reading a thread about Fire Fly batteries, while at same time turning off the readers who came for the topic of Fire Fly batteries
Old 29-01-2021, 05:36   #47

This might help with the voltage to SOC comparison.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210129-083538.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	219.8 KB
ID:	231536  
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:15   #48

Boat: Yamaha 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
This might help with the voltage to SOC comparison.
Can you post the link to the source? Thanks.
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:22   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerMike View Post
Can you post the link to the source? Thanks.
https://forums.sailboatowners.com/th...system.196179/
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:30   #50

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I can't read that attachment, but I found the original document from Firefly

Test report ETL 16-Voltage vs SOC G31 Voltage vs SOC% the answer seems to be 12.02 or 12.01 at 40% SOC using C3 or C10. What is C3 3x the battery capacity or .3?

We would not be worryiing about this if they were LFP.

Not the link but related testing
https://coastalclimatecontrol.com/in...g-reveals.html
https://panbo.com/gizmos-new-firefly...t-the-details/

DoD What's the Latest on Firefly Oasis Batteries? - Gear Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
DOD 60% = 2350 cycles.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Test report ETL 16-Voltage vs SOC G31.pdf (374.0 KB, 19 views)
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 07:38   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayiii View Post
Thanks, that's really useful. I note that the measurement is under load and the difference between C3 and C10 is not that great.
Old 29-01-2021, 07:57   #52

The "C3" is 0.3C or 30a. The "C10" is 0.1C or 11a. Very confusing use of terms IMHO.
The batteries seem to hold up ok.
Old 29-01-2021, 07:58   #53

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
I can't read that attachment, but I found the original document from Firefly

Test report ETL 16-Voltage vs SOC G31 Voltage vs SOC% the answer seems to be 12.02 or 12.01 at 40% SOC using C3 or C10. What is C3 3x the battery capacity or .3?

We would not be worryiing about this if they were LFP.

Not the link but related testing
https://coastalclimatecontrol.com/in...g-reveals.html
https://panbo.com/gizmos-new-firefly...t-the-details/

DoD What's the Latest on Firefly Oasis Batteries? - Gear Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums
DOD 60% = 2350 cycles.
The attached test report is what I use to judge SOC vs. Voltage. I disconnect the batteries at the switches for a couple of hours and check the voltage at night with no charging or load. It seems to track within 0.01V with what my BMV-712 is counting.

Rob at Coastal Climate Control knows his stuff and is always testing and experimenting. I bought my batteries and solar from them.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 08:30   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickG View Post
The attached test report is what I use to judge SOC vs. Voltage. I disconnect the batteries at the switches for a couple of hours and check the voltage at night with no charging or load. It seems to track within 0.01V with what my BMV-712 is counting.

Rob at Coastal Climate Control knows his stuff and is always testing and experimenting. I bought my batteries and solar from them.

Cheers, RickG

Where is the attachment? The one I attached is voltages measured at the end of a long discharge.
Old 29-01-2021, 08:44   #55

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Where is the attachment? The one I attached is voltages measured at the end of a long discharge.
I interpolate the SOC vs V to check apparent charge level. I don't do a C10 test. It may not be precise, but it appears accurate.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2021, 14:38   #56

Boat: Catana 471

I use the same chart, and *think* it’s fairly accurate (I use it to adjust the %SOC on my Victron battery monitor after a few weeks of daily partial-SOC cycling). Note though that these are NOT resting voltages, they’re voltages measured under-load. It just so happens that when I’m brewing coffee in the morning, my current draw is close to the 0.3C rate for my bank of 8 G31’s, so I compare measured voltage at that time to the chart, and adjust the SOC on the battery monitor if it’s getting too far off.

The reason I think the chart is fairly accurate is that if I adjust the displayed SOC as described, then plug in to shore power and charge until tail current is roughly 1A per battery, the amp-hours put into the batteries is fairly close to what is expected, based on the starting SOC, with some allowance for charge efficiency (after some trial and error, I use 96%).
Jetx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2021, 05:41   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
I use the same chart, and *think* it’s fairly accurate (I use it to adjust the %SOC on my Victron battery monitor after a few weeks of daily partial-SOC cycling). Note though that these are NOT resting voltages, they’re voltages measured under-load. It just so happens that when I’m brewing coffee in the morning, my current draw is close to the 0.3C rate for my bank of 8 G31’s, so I compare measured voltage at that time to the chart, and adjust the SOC on the battery monitor if it’s getting too far off.

The reason I think the chart is fairly accurate is that if I adjust the displayed SOC as described, then plug in to shore power and charge until tail current is roughly 1A per battery, the amp-hours put into the batteries is fairly close to what is expected, based on the starting SOC, with some allowance for charge efficiency (after some trial and error, I use 96%).

Thanks Jetx for providing that clarity. The voltage is measured during the drawdown.
Old 30-01-2021, 07:59   #58

Per the user manual, "Firefly batteries do not require a float charge on a regular basis. However, if you are float charging, due to their longer projected lifespan, it is important to keep the float voltage at 13.4V or 13.5V (4.5V for each 4V/450AH) to ensure the battery lasts for as many cycles as possible."

What do you do when you leave the boat for an extended period? Do you keep your batteries on float? Turn the charger off entirely? What have been the results?

Any thoughts on whether the recommended float voltage is a minimum? Is there any benefit to setting it lower for winter storage, while the boat is still in the water but not being used much?

Finally, should temperature compensation be taken into account when monitoring the float voltage, or should the batteries be maintained at 13.4V regardless of temperature?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31-01-2021, 09:46   #59

I would be very interested in the particulars and best practices when leaving the boat on a mooring for say 5 days, to charge up to 100% Soc from 80% SoC and then float properly during the day. Location:Rhode Island. What size panel(s), voltages needed and controllers are needed and best. Size of bank (2) G31.

Should the solar be disconnected if gone for longer periods?
Old 31-01-2021, 10:56   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

I just leave mine on with it's normal solar settings. My controller will drop to float of current fey low enough, but that is fairly rare

Tags
battery