Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2017, 19:38   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Firefly Voltages to SOC

Hi All,

We recently installed 330Ah of Firefly batteries. Following up on an article by Mainesail about how those charts so common on the internet that list a % SOC and a matching voltage are not accurate while the battery is in discharge mode.

Does anyone have any idea what the actual SOC to voltages should be for firefly batteries, while in discharge...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 22:19   #2

Boat: Hunter Marine 38
Re: Firefly Voltages to SOC

64 readers and stll nobody with an answer. Why would that be .......?
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2017, 22:50   #3

Boat: Catalina 470

If I'm reading your question correctly, and I'm no expert, I don't believe you can tell soc while discharging, loads vary therefore voltage will also. A battery needs to be at rest for sometime to use voltage as a indicator of soc. It needs time for its surface charge to diminsh.

I look at my voltage when I get up just prior to dawn, most of the surface charge will have gone and I have minimal load on batteries, this gives me a "cruisers full" idea of where I'm at, usually 12.3-12.4v. If the voltage isn't below that and it's a nice day I'm happy the solar will handle job of recharging.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 03:23   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Firefly Voltages to SOC

You can tell SOC while under load.
As long as someone has done the testing at pre-determined loads. Look in the Lifeline manual for instance, it gives you a voltage vs SOC chart for three different loads for example, notice the 20hour and 120 hr voltages are very close. Then look at open circuit voltage at rest, there is not a whole lot of difference, within tolerance so to speak. my take is that under moderate loads at least with a Lifeline bank, you can tell SOC, and by inference it’s logical to assume this isn’t just some Lifeline only property.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0287.jpg
Views:	684
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	160911
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 03:31   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You can tell SOC while under load.
As long as someone has done the testing at pre-determined loads. Look in the Lifeline manual for instance, it give you a voltage vs SOC chart for three different loads for example.
I'm not sure that's what he's asking? He's talking about the standard type v=soc chart you pull of the net. He would need to know current in current out and have predetermined loads VS voltage as you said at anyone time to determine soc, I get the impression he's just talking about glancing at the volt meter randomly? Could be wrong.
Old 23-12-2017, 03:46   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Firefly Voltages to SOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'm not sure that's what he's asking? He's talking about the standard type v=soc chart you pull of the net. He would need to know current in current out and have predetermined loads VS voltage as you said at anyone time to determine soc, I get the impression he's just talking about glancing at the volt meter randomly? Could be wrong.

With the above chart, you can glance at the voltmeter randomly and determine SOC with a pretty high degree of accuracy, just first glance at the ammeter and determine where in those three example loads you are, and even then they are so close in voltage that a good approximation can be made with little effort.
Myself I’m always between the 20 and 120 hour portions, and the voltage difference to me is negligible, however I have a Smart Gauge too, so it’s just validation.

However of course this is a Lifeline Chart, not a generic battery chart.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 07:05   #7

I have a 460 amp 24 volt Firefly battery bank, and don't have exactly the information you are looking for, I use a SmartGauge and a standard integrating amp meter to keep track.

But I have observed that the charge and discharge voltage curves of a Firefly bank are quite different than my old Lifeline bank.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 07:08   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by billknny View Post
I have a 460 amp 24 volt Firefly battery bank, and don't have exactly the information you are looking for, I use a SmartGauge and a standard integrating amp meter to keep track.

But I have observed that the charge and discharge voltage curves of a Firefly bank are quite different than my old Lifeline bank.
Youve been happy with your fireflys? Looking at new batteries when i reach South Africa next year. I think i read they are hard to buy at present, do you know anything about this?
Old 23-12-2017, 14:56   #9

the only way to match SOC to voltage properly is after 24 hours of rest... and you'd need a chart from firefly. not sure if they make one.

voltage varies under load. a full battery could be at 12.8 or 11.8 depending if the load was big enough. both 100% SOC
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 15:01   #10

Quote:
I think i read they are hard to buy at present, do you know anything about this?
I think my shop is waiting on our July order. and the aug, sept, oct, nov order....
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 15:13   #11

Boat: Custome Open BOC 50' cutter rig

Quote:
Youve been happy with your fireflys? Looking at new batteries when i reach South Africa next year. I think i read they are hard to buy at present, do you know anything about this?
Hi I have been looking into Firefly batteries, as well, they are made in India. Frankly, I thought they were made originally in the US. here is a copy of an email I received from the manufactuer & their email address is; <info@fireflyenergy.com> I'm considering changing my AGM 700 amps to fireflys. but would like more feed back from Cruisers forum as to the battery performace, before I make the purchase.

"These carbon foam batteries are only made in india, the USA does not make batteries for commercial sales.
Firefly India Is the only manufacturing unit in the world to produce Microcell carbon foam batteries with state of the art machineries, our installed capacity is 300000 Kwh per annum which can be increased to 1000000 Kwh per annum. Firefly India is also an ISO 9001 company. WE can assure you the batteries produced in india are of best quality.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thanks & Regards,

Jinal Shah.

Warm Regards, Firefly Battery "
kryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 18:26   #12
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Originally US company, bought by Indians, many original tech people in US.

G31s still made in the US, all other sizes in India, they may transition G31s also once production capacity / QA issues have settled down next year.

First couple containers passed US QA testing a few months ago.

Personally I would only buy through Bruce Schwab's Ocean Planet dealer network, but they may not be allowed to sell outside NA.

Backlog last I checked was 4-6 months.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2017, 19:21   #13

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post

Backlog last I checked was 4-6 months.
We placed an order for two in early November, and were told a few weeks ago they would be on the next shipment. I'm not sure how much longer that means, but given that we're not splashing until late April I'm not in a big rush.
Old 24-12-2017, 06:53   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
G31s still made in the US, all other sizes in India, they may transition G31s also once production capacity / QA issues have settled down next year.
Just got 4ea of them.

All production is now in India!
Peoria is now only a warehouse.

Wanted the L-16's but wait was too long.
Settled for the G31.

A word of warning.
India has no idea how many are in Peoria. When you are talking via E-Mail to them, you may be talking to India and are receiving incorrect delivery info..

Best to confirm you are indeed talking to someone in Peoria.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 07:18   #15
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I think the new from-India direct sales guy is trying to bypass Bruce's dealer network.

As I said, for support and warranty issues I would only deal with the latter.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote