Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2024, 08:21   #1

Fischer Panda 10000i back end high voltage

Continued issues with 1000i, 440 hours, well cared for. 7 months in without a genset.

Engine starts and runs well without faults.

Replaced icontol2 panel and iControl2 circuit board (alongside engine in capsule), and Panda just rebuilt my inverter. $$$$

Just put everything very carefully back together. Inverter produces 240v for a moment, and then shuts down - red fault light on side of inverter lights up.

Checked outputs from back end: 2700 rpm yields L1-170v, L2-183v, L3-170v, these legs should total ~280V so this is way too high. HZ good at 383.

Any ideas? Is there a voltage regulator on the back end of these units? Faulty back end? Yet another bad circuit board? Installation error?

Have reached out to Panda Germany for further support but I think I'm well past done investing in this unit. Two good US based Panda authorized service centers have been unable to get this running properly. Might have a bunch of working 10000i parts for sale shortly - US Southeast coast.
kipwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 09:03   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Fischer Panda 10000i back end high voltage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kipwrite View Post
Continued issues with 1000i, 440 hours, well cared for. 7 months in without a genset.

Engine starts and runs well without faults.

Replaced icontol2 panel and iControl2 circuit board (alongside engine in capsule), and Panda just rebuilt my inverter. $$$$

Just put everything very carefully back together. Inverter produces 240v for a moment, and then shuts down - red fault light on side of inverter lights up.

Checked outputs from back end: 2700 rpm yields L1-170v, L2-183v, L3-170v, these legs should total ~280V so this is way too high. HZ good at 383.

Any ideas? Is there a voltage regulator on the back end of these units? Faulty back end? Yet another bad circuit board? Installation error?

Have reached out to Panda Germany for further support but I think I'm well past done investing in this unit. Two good US based Panda authorized service centers have been unable to get this running properly. Might have a bunch of working 10000i parts for sale shortly - US Southeast coast.
It’s so amazing that people still put money, time and effort into Fisher Panda. There must be hundreds of threads posted on these evil machines.

Sorry, I had to pay someone to remove it from my boat to dump it at the city dump after I first tried to trade it in buying a Northern Lights. It was the best money on spent on it.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 13:35   #3

Well it could have been worse, Volpi assembles a genset that makes the Fischer Panda look like a winner.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 16:15   #4

Boat: Oyster 55

What I find unbelievable is how Fisher Panda stays in business.
Yet "they" say if you get one that runs it will last a long time.
I jerked mine out of my cat years ago and replaced it with a a Norther Lights.
Never had a problem.
I would love to hear on this Forum from those that love their Fisher Pandas.
Anybody out there? Hello?
I actually had mine replaced in the Islands and when I asked if it were possible to get a trade in the only thing the mechanic said was they would only use it to anchor a mooring ball.
caradow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 17:22   #5

No matter what, there will always be a few folks that get a good run out an FP or VTE genset, and I’m tempted to suggest that they have a strong preventitive maintenance plan that involves removing the sound shell and forensically inspecting the little beastie on a very regular basis. Most of the ones that cross my path have had problems related to having had only one side of the cocoon opened so that rew water leaks and developing problems remained undiscovered. The main cause of failure with the FP’s in my experience is electrical, both DC andd AC, frequently due to raw water leaks or high ambient temps in the sound shell…. Rarely the Farymann (or other) engine, but with the Volpi’s its mostly the engine.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 10:59   #6

Boat: Catalina 42

I bought a boat last summer that came from the factory with a Panda.

The seller was the original owner, and he maintained the boat very well. Lots of preventative maintenance.

The Panda only lasted him a few years. He couldn't keep it running. The wiring and hoses are still in place, which made it tempting to find a used drop in and take a flyer. But I thought better of it and decided to spend a lot less money on solar in the hopes it meets my needs. If I ever install a generator it won't be a Panda.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2024, 21:56   #7

Boat: Beneteau 36CC

From someone who loved their FP.

I loved my FP half of the time.

Many years ago it was the smallest, quietest , highest output generator available

Causing it to generate occupied the other half of our relationship.

Removing the FP from my engine room was pleasurable!

RIP FP
Sailorichiban is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda