Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2021, 03:58   #1

Boat: Owen Easton 43/Moody 425
Fischer Panda 4000s Generator Dimensions

I am looking for someone that might own one of these to help with dimensions.

The published dimensions, with enclosure, are 558 L x 461 W x 518 H.

I would like to fit one of these down a 490mm x 490mm hatch with minimal disassembly. 518mm for the height is close and I am hoping that simply removing the top sound enclosure panels will make up the difference. There is ample space inside for mounting the generator and a diesel day tank already available.

I have contacted many sales representatives and none of them are willing to dig deeper to give me some more detailed information about the dimensions in order to make the sale! I will also send a message to the manufacturer if I can find good contact info. It helps, though, to have someone with an actual specimen on hand to validate the specs as I have found that sometimes the dimensions take into consideration fittings that stick out after installation.

From pictures, it appears that the mounting brackets are flush and I would gain little advantage to remove before dropping through the hatch. If an owner of one of these generators could help me out and measure the height of the tallest point without the cover on, it would greatly help. I also wonder if the starter motor is something that is easily removed, as it appears to stick out an extra inch or two from the other components.
jkaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 04:10   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Fischer Panda 4000s Generator Dimensions

Have you researched the reviews on the FP gensets?

In your planning for installing through this tight place, keep in mind that it may have to come back out multiple times for service.
Old 16-03-2021, 05:37   #3

I catch your drift, Paul. I am exploring other options and the FP is a last resort. It comes down to what I can source in Australia and the limited number of compact gensets that will fit. I prefer to maximize power for my space. I am open to suggestions. The hull is aluminum and I really don't want to cut her.

Hopefully someone will have one of these conveniently removed for service or sitting in their garage for measurements.
Old 16-03-2021, 07:53   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

I have a good friend who cruised along with us across the Pacific. He junked his FP in NZ. His only regret was that he didn't do it sooner. I've heard similar comments from other cruisers,
Old 16-03-2021, 09:51   #5

Boat: oceanis 393 seahorse
Send a message via Skype™ to john simons

Hello, i have had one now for about 8 yrs and it has run fine once i had repaired a cracked inlet valve. You will need to be able to lift it out and i fitted mine with extra long connections to pick it bodily out for servicing. The installation is critical and there must be no lateral force on the exhaust elbow, the replacement manifold has a strengthening gusset.
The older models ,lead lined box , have about 20mm clearance with the top box removed.
However if at all possible i would enlarge the hatch . I have an electric winch that i use to lift the unit to floor level for servicing.
J
john simons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 09:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaway View Post
I catch your drift, Paul. I am exploring other options and the FP is a last resort. It comes down to what I can source in Australia and the limited number of compact gensets that will fit. I prefer to maximize power for my space. I am open to suggestions. The hull is aluminum and I really don't want to cut her.

Hopefully someone will have one of these conveniently removed for service or sitting in their garage for measurements.
FYI, Kubota makes a smaller 5KW, check it out.
kamaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2021, 12:21   #7

Hello jkaway,
visit www.fischerpanda.de and switch to english language.
It is the homepage of the manufacturer.
Little John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 13:41   #8

I found the rep in Australia disinterested so I bought the Whisperpower MGV5. Great unit and went in the Lazarette easily. Only needs access from the one side for normal maintenance and oil cooled so no coolant to change[emoji1360]
I think it was 315mm on its longest edge when out of the mounts.

Cheers
TomClick image for larger version

Name:	20190911_082609.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	234695Click image for larger version

Name:	20200405_144845.jpeg
Views:	65
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	234696Click image for larger version

Name:	20190809_134214.jpeg
Views:	63
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	234697Click image for larger version

Name:	20181031_145735.jpeg
Views:	70
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	234698
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 07:02   #9

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

Try this guy : Boris Schoenberger-technical support and quality management director bschoenberger at fischerpanda. de He was quite responsive. I have a bit larger 4500 genny. I think it will be quite noisy witout enclosure... I put mine on the stern bridge, added extra insulated box and antivibration supports and still feel it. One cylinder at 3000rpm. They reccomend a "solid still plate" as the sound insulation. I put 2 pcs s/s plate in between
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2021, 10:39   #10

The WhisperPower ended up being the runner up. I found that both the Whisperpower and the Northern Lights genset were very close in price and both available to ship within Australia. I went with the Northern Lights 3-cyl and I will just split it in half to get it through. I think it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 26-03-2021, 10:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkaway View Post
The WhisperPower ended up being the runner up. I found that both the Whisperpower and the Northern Lights genset were very close in price and both available to ship within Australia. I went with the Northern Lights 3-cyl and I will just split it in half to get it through. I think it will be worth it in the long run.
Great - I didn't know you had that much space.
Cheers
Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda, generator, men