Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2023, 09:25   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38
Fischer Panda 4200 FCB PMS Generator

I'm looking for support regarding my generator. The gear from the starter and from the motor itself are in a very bad shape, and I don't get a quotation for spares from the local rep' here in Brazil. Their service is far below any expectations. Infact their sevice representative in Angra dos Reis, by-passed the fuse of the electronic panel and burned it. Meanwhile this was repaired. But now the generator keeps turning but doesn't work. So I'm trying to handle these problems on my own. First point is, can any of you tell me where I can get these 2 gears?

Second, I'm wondering that the best to do is substitute this generator by a set of lythium batteries, to run a 8000BTU's Sulair airconditioner for maybe 8 hours. comments to this idea would be very appreciated.
Chico do Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 12:35   #2

Re: Fischer Panda 4200 FCB PMS Generator

Good morning Chico do Aurora and welcome to the forum. The vertical starter motor on your FP 4200 is a weak point and there’s no easy fix other than OEM parts, I’m assuming you have a Farymann engine and not the far more sensible Kubota two cylinder which you could actually find a ring gear and starter motor for in Brazil. I can’t advise you regarding running the aircon on a bank of lithium batteries, how would you charge those batteries? But I can suggest that you consider a new AC generator, preferably NOT a 2 pole like that little FP, you won’t regret putting in a low speed 4 pole genset if you need a reliable source of power. You could also consider a portable gasoline generator, there are some on this forum who’ve chosen this option and might share their experience with the Yamaha’s and Honda’s.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2023, 13:31   #3

Re: Fischer Panda 4200 FCB PMS Generator

When you say keeps turning but doesnt work do you mean won't start.

If it wont start, check the valve lashing. Valves on these things are notorious for working themselves out of adjustment.
DirtPete is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda, generator