Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 02:05   #16

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 53
Re: Fischer-Panda 6KW dies under load

I browsed through the manual of the 5000 model (not ours, but similar) and found this in the Maintenance Section:

Einmal täglich / once a day
Fetten/ölen der Stellmotor-Trapezgewinde-Spindel / Lubrication of actuator-trapezoid thread spindle

ONCE A DAY?!? They must be kidding me...

Also reading Sailinglegend's advice above (thank you!), on top of my list is now a jammed actuator...
marcog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 02:30   #17

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcog View Post
I browsed through the manual of the 5000 model (not ours, but similar) and found this in the Maintenance Section:

Einmal täglich / once a day....
Read carefully all the other things you should check every 50 hours. If you don't have good access to the engine this is why many FP gensets fail.

We have had ours for 7 years with two head rebuilds due to my error in installing the waterlock. Read their latest info on that.

Good luck.
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 03:59   #18
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Sound like normal behavior of FP gensets. You're lucky it runs at all, mine didn't. I tried to trade it in for something better, but ending up having to pay somebody to remove it and take it away. Most wouldn't come near it.

Have since (10 years+) had zero problems with the new genset (Northern Lights), using the same exhaust system.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:17   #19

Boat: Lagoon 410 ELECTRIC!

This doesn't sound like a fuel issue to me, more like a short or an excessive draw on the generator output. The Oil and Engine lights are probably a byproduct of the sudden shut down. I have a 6KW generator (not FP) and will see a shutdown (generator output only and ramp down to idle) when excesive load is applied.
Look for a short in the wiring.
Shut down all loads and see if it still kills the motor (main breaker?).
I'd bet you have a short to ground.

Steve in Solomons MD
Hyprdrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:28   #20

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
I'll agree with sailing legend 100%

These don't "throttle up" rather they maintain 3600 rpm to create power. If your throttle actuator is stuck an the engine is never running at 3600 rpm then it'll shut off as soon as a load is applied because it's not running at the proper speed to make the correct power.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 05:46   #21

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Of the nine models FP makes, only two are fixed speed - the rest are variable speed.

The only 6kw model I see on their website is a DC generator. This is a variable speed model. Is this the one you have?

Maintaining a fixed speed is usually done with a simple solenoid requiring no maintenance, while a variable speed will use a more complicated mechanism.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:12   #22

Panda used to make a 6kw unit, now they make an 6.5 kw unit. These are AC gens and operate at a fixed speed.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:16   #23

it's also possible one of the control capacitors has gone south causing a low voltage shutdown whenever a load is applied.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:34   #24

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

You need to start at the beginning. Check the fuel pressure from the electric pump. I have seen these drop over time and cause this symptom. If it's not making enough pressure it can cause fuel starvation. Take the hose loose at the sound shield and jump 12 volt power to the pump check for good volume. If their is any doubt buy a new pump, a spare isn't a bad thing to have and they aren't very expensive. Facet makes the square one.

Assuming this is not the issue then you need to check the capacitors. They fail regularly on these units. If one or two have failed the generator will not handle a startup load. Some of the early six kw were fixed speed and the newer ones are variable. The actuator is controlled by the "brain" on the later units. It adjusts the throttle to keep the rpms in range when loaded. While having it stuck might cause it to bog down killing it all together doesn't seem likely.

Also check the exhaust elbow they are prone to failure. They will clog and corrode through. You can usually get 2000 hours out of them. But you never know.

Just an FYI the motor is a Kubuta engine parts can be purchased form tractor dealers.

Jay
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:37   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Sound like normal behavior of FP gensets. You're lucky it runs at all, mine didn't. I tried to trade it in for something better, but ending up having to pay somebody to remove it and take it away. Most wouldn't come near it.
LOL -- so are you trying to say that not running is a "feature", and not a "bug", in FP generators?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 06:58   #26

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have read a lot of negative reports on the FP over the years and wait in anticipation as to seeing problems with mine. The problems seem to be mostly engine related. FP use a variety of engines for their numerous models. Maybe the problems are more frequent on the smaller engines. Mine is a 10KW model being run by a 3 cylinder Kubota engine. It is quiet, and runs like a charm for more than 7 years. The only time I have experienced what you are going through is when the filter plugged and it starved for fuel. The fuel on my boat goes through a Racor 10 micron and then a smaller 2 Micron ( only for the generator). When I have had on the rare occasion the generator stopping for no good reason under load it was because the 2 micron filter was getting plugged.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:01   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
LOL -- so are you trying to say that not running is a "feature", and not a "bug", in FP generators?
It's the FP way of reducing their carbon footprint.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:14   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
It's the FP way of reducing their carbon footprint.
HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 09:50   #29
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Mine was completely seized, total loss. It was a 5kW DC model. Sister ships had the same and all had the problems, some with heads exploding and valves flying around like fragmentation bombs… seems that being seized is also the most safe operating mode of these.

I believe there are some decent models though, because some report to run them without trouble… AC models with heat exchanger I think.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:33   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post

Mine was completely seized, total loss. It was a 5kW DC model. Sister ships had the same and all had the problems, some with heads exploding and valves flying around like fragmentation bombs… seems that being seized is also the most safe operating mode of these.

I believe there are some decent models though, because some report to run them without trouble… AC models with heat exchanger I think.
HAAAAAAAAAAAA AGAIN!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa