Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 07:04   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Fischer Panda

If you want something that just works, I would go to 120/240/230V AC genets plus a battery charger.

I am included in the hordes of cruisers who have had to pay to have the Panda DC genet removed from the boat after a lost struggle. Put in a Northern Lights instead and never had any trouble since while maintenance dropped to a fraction of what is used to be (and that's 9 years trouble free after the switch!).

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:29   #17

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Frankly, most of the complaints on the FP's seem to be from 10 years or so in the past when the company was under different management. Many of the people that decry the units are the same folks that were naysayers then. It is unlikely that the Company would survive, to say nothing of thrive, if its products were as bad as some suggest. Never-the-less, Jedi's suggestion is not without merit as there are other good units available.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 08:09   #18

Yes I did check Polar. This is what they said:

Next year we plan to reintroduce the Lombardini into our generator line.
Presently it’s the: 8080VP-12 Volvo Penta engine Or 8080M-L2E Mitsubishi engine
I didn't see either one on their website. The 8080VP-13 that is listed looks interesting.
clayzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 09:13   #19

The Ample Power Genie is available in 150 amp and I hear 280 amp now. It's a Kubota diesel engine with variable speed. Ample power has been building Alternators and Next Step Regulators for many years. However, it is basically a very small company. Their website is a bit archaic so might be best to call and discuss your needs. website: Genie Diesel Alternators Lots of stuff on a google search too...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:28   #20
Marine Service Provider

I just wanted to take a moment to respond to a couple of the posts

It is important to determine if a DC generator is the right generator for your application? DC generators are primarily used in battery charging applications. The Fischer Panda DC AGT generators are reliable and efficient units. They operate at variable speed and run between 1700 and 2800 RPM based on need. This feature can improve overall fuel consumption. The generators come with a built in auto-start feature that senses battery voltage, which in turn automatically switches the generator on or off.

We use a single cylinder Kubota engine on the AGT 4000. This engine is designed to run at 3000 rpm. The gensets are 100% freshwater cooled and come with an effective sound shield. These features, coupled with the lower operating RPM makes it one of our quieter units. The decibal reading on an operating AGT 4000 64db at 1 meter. If you are interested in an AGT generator with twin cylinders, the next size up is our AGT 5000 which also comes in 12v.

As with anyone's generator, installation is critical not only for longevity but also for noise. Feel free to give me a call to discuss your application or any other questions you might have.

We have sold a lot of AGTs due to the push for electric propulsion and they have been very reliable. It is very important with these units to size and install them correctly.

Feel free to call me or email me any questions jtill (at) fischerpanda.com

Jeff Till
Fischer Panda Generators
Office: [please send J Till a PM for the contact information - TJ ]
J Till is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda