Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-04-2024, 18:00   #31

Re: Fisher Panda 4800i - need help coming up with plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
SkipperPete,

I am out of my league talking about diesel. These small engines are notorious for allowing raw water back in through the exhaust. How and why I am not sure. Company went out of business for a reason.

There is no water there now.

Boat was in salt water.
This is the single point where I’d defend Fischer Panda….. water getting into the engine through a flooded exhaust and open exhaust valve is only due to a bad installation and/or bad maintenance, if you neglect to inspect the siphon break and mixer elbow I can guarantee that you’re at risk of hydrolocking or flooding any engine with a wet exhaust, even one mounted above the waterline under certain circumstances. In your case, a single dessert or tablespoon of water is enough to bend a con rod, in fact its actually better to have a filled cylinder than the lethal tablespoon full….
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 13:35   #32

Boat: Boréal 47

For completness. Generator is toast from corrosion on the exhaust side that prevented proper compression . Not worth repairing. Looking for a 1 to 1 replacement at the moment. Thanks to all.
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2024, 23:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredct View Post
For completness. Generator is toast from corrosion on the exhaust side that prevented proper compression . Not worth repairing. Looking for a 1 to 1 replacement at the moment. Thanks to all.
Thanks for the final report, I’m sorry it didn’t work out with the Farymann engine.
Old 27-04-2024, 05:43   #34

Boat: Boréal 47

Some additional background, for completeness.

The 1 cyl Farymann has a 1.5" exhaust. Upgrading to 2 cyl changes the exhaust to 2". Not impossible but tough in my case.

In my particular vessel, the position of the generator (well below the water line) made the wet exhaust "wetter". I mean that high RH air could back flow to the exhaust side easily. If I find an identical replacement (I did), I will think about a way to keep the engine dry when not in use, perhaps by shutting off water intake for a few seconds before turning off the engine.

Anyhow, thanks for all the help.
fredct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 19:31   #35

Most Genset makers provide painfully detailed instructions regarding wet exhausts as applied to their products, they know only too well how badly things can turn out if the installer gets it wrong.. two of the best wet exhaust installation guides are supplied by Northern lights and the more humorous but still deadly serious instructions from Volpi ( Paguro). …..”don’t drown me”
Bigger aqualocks, better vent loops and exhaust water splitters are a few of the obvious methods…. Avoid like the plague any use of solenoid operated raw water valves.
By RH air I guess you were referring to the humidity in the hose between the aqualock and the exhaust manifold… there’s no real way to avoid damage from this other than to take the hose off the mixer elbow and bag the outlet with a “thirsty hippo”…… of course , this is only for long layups.

Tags
fish, Fisher