Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2007, 06:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393 PedrasI
Fisher Panda Rebuilt

Dear Colleagues

After the standard revision to my Fisher Panda 4500 SCB where I change the oil, impeller, engine Supports, toothbelt and fuel Solenoid valve, the engine d’ont start.
  • The fuel pump works perfectly
  • The fuel arrives to the injector
  • The Starter works well also
if same body as same experience with this panda Please reply.

TKS in advance
Carlos
Bleck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:21   #2

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
Does it try to start if you spray a little WD40 in the air intake as your crank?

Was the "toothbelt" you changed a timing belt?

As you are aware, diesels only need fuel and air to run. The fuel must however arrive at just the right moment. If you changed the timing belt and did not have the pullies properly aligned, it could cause this problem.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:33   #3

TKS for your prompt reply, I will chek the pullies alignement
Regards
Carlos
Old 06-03-2007, 07:26   #4

Boat: Alura 30
It could be that you have poor compressions.....and yes the timing needs to be correct.
jean1146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 09:34   #5

there is no usere adjustable timing on that unit. The toothed belt drives the water pump.
Just up from the gear on the front of the motor is a black knob. rotate it untill it loks in a position. this is the compression release. if it's open the generator won't start.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:32   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
fuel Solenoid valve

Check that this is working, too!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 09:53   #7

The solenoid valve is new and works because i conneted directly to 12v.
Also the black knob. rotated it untill it loks in a position.
I have also sprey w40 to the air chamber to help the start.
my last hope is because i clean all water channels to remove the salt could afect the compression?
Old 07-03-2007, 10:27   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Ensure that your fuel pump is actually operating while your engine is cranking (and temporarily close your raw water sea cock to prevent overloading your exhaust with seawater). We had a similar problem with our Panda that proved to be a borken wire in the wiring harness. The fuel pump would run until you started to crank the engine at which point the vibration in the unit caused the fuel pump to quit. It takes two people unless your panel is close enought to the motor to allow you to check while holding the start button down. Also, ensure that your overheat warning circuit is working properly. Theres a method given in the Owner's Manual. I have found the unit to be pretty reliable so long as I follow the Operating Instructions closely. I also suggest you contact Panda as they are usually pretty responsive.

Good Luck

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2007, 05:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleck
Dear Colleagues

After the standard revision to my Fisher Panda 4500 SCB where I change the oil, impeller, engine Supports, toothbelt and fuel Solenoid valve, the engine d’ont start.
  • The fuel pump works perfectly
  • The fuel arrives to the injector
  • The Starter works well also
if same body as same experience with this panda Please reply.

TKS in advance
Carlos
Carlos,
Why dont you give my office at 800-508-6494 and speak to one of our technicians. I am sure we can walk you through it and get you up and running. You can also email them at service@fischerpanda.com.

Talk to you soon also feel free to email me and I will forward your request to my service department.

Jeff Till
Fischer Panda Generators
Jeff Till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 01:47   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 423 - Cin Cin
I have the exact same problem. How do you test the fuel solenoid though?

I have a 2004 Fischer Panda diesel generator P4500 FCB PMS with 1187 hours. It was left unused for 6 months while I was on shore power and when I tried to fire it up last week it was very difficult to start, even with the seacock closed and low compression knob selected. After a fuel filter and oil change it reluctantly started and then ran well and supplied power for 30 mins without overheating, but now it will not fire up at all. The starter motor turns the engine over quite vigorously and the voltage across the terminals is still 12.7V whilst cranking. (I have 3x brand new fully charged 200Ah batteries.)

I changed the fuel filter & unsuccessfully tried starting the motor without the air filter in place so I suspect the problem is the fuel solenoid valve or wiring, cylinder compression, glow plug or the injector.
I have found that fuel is reaching the inlet of the fuel solenoid valve by disconnecting 'Low Pressure' wire 5 and loosening the fuel solenoid bleed nipple, so the pump seems OK and it is bleeding correctly. I do get some wisps of white smoke from the exhaust, so I assume fuel is reaching the cylinder.
Is there anything else I can check? I am in the middle of South East Asia at present and reliable service agents seem hard to find.
spawnywhippet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2010, 10:53   #11

SpawnyWhippet,

Here is a link to the troubleshooting section in the manual http://fischerpanda.com/Manuals/Pand...20Shooting.pdf

Please feel free to call or email our service department the can either be reached at 954-462-2800 or via email service at fischerpanda dot com. One of the members of our service department will be gald to help you figure out the issue and get on your way.

Jeff Till
Fischer Panda USA
Jeff Till is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Fischer Panda