Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2020, 11:03   #1

Fisher Panda Troubleshooting

I have a Fisher Panda 4200 4 Mini Plus. It came on the boat I bought last fall. The last owner bought the generator used (rebuilt) and had it installed. Ever since I have owned the boat, it has the same problem. I start it, and it runs fine for 10-15 minutes. After that, the oil pressure light on the panel starts to flicker. After about 5 minutes or so of flickering the unit shuts down. If I wait 20-30 minutes, I can restart it and repeat that whole process.

I tried a couple of things myself, including replacing the oil pressure sending unit, to no avail before I was able to get a Fisher Panda authorized tech out to look at it. He put an oil pressure tester on it, and he found that it has low oil pressure at start up, and the pressure falls steadily while the unit ran and before it eventually shut down. He called Fisher Panda down in Florida to discuss, but they could not come up with anything. He wants to pull the unit from the boat and partially tear it down to diagnose more potential issues (it is in the bilge and you can work on it where it is, but it is tough).

Before I go through all of that, I wanted to see if anyone on here had any insights or had dealt with this issue before. I have read a lot of threads where FPs shut down for one reason or another, but not with this specific issues. I read a thread on here where someone said they replaced the dipstick and it solved a similar problem. Earlier today I put some rubber stoppers in place of the dipstick to see if that was my problem, but that did not solve it.

Can anyone offer me any solutions or suggestions before I pull the unit from the boat?

Thanks!
Cregan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 13:25   #2

Re: Fisher Panda Troubleshooting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cregan13 View Post
I have a Fisher Panda 4200 4 Mini Plus. It came on the boat I bought last fall. The last owner bought the generator used (rebuilt) and had it installed. Ever since I have owned the boat, it has the same problem. I start it, and it runs fine for 10-15 minutes. After that, the oil pressure light on the panel starts to flicker. After about 5 minutes or so of flickering the unit shuts down. If I wait 20-30 minutes, I can restart it and repeat that whole process.

I tried a couple of things myself, including replacing the oil pressure sending unit, to no avail before I was able to get a Fisher Panda authorized tech out to look at it. He put an oil pressure tester on it, and he found that it has low oil pressure at start up, and the pressure falls steadily while the unit ran and before it eventually shut down. He called Fisher Panda down in Florida to discuss, but they could not come up with anything. He wants to pull the unit from the boat and partially tear it down to diagnose more potential issues (it is in the bilge and you can work on it where it is, but it is tough).

Before I go through all of that, I wanted to see if anyone on here had any insights or had dealt with this issue before. I have read a lot of threads where FPs shut down for one reason or another, but not with this specific issues. I read a thread on here where someone said they replaced the dipstick and it solved a similar problem. Earlier today I put some rubber stoppers in place of the dipstick to see if that was my problem, but that did not solve it.

Can anyone offer me any solutions or suggestions before I pull the unit from the boat?

Thanks!
No idea

You checked the oil sensor ....hmmm

The Failure shut down system on a generator has several sensors and these sensors are all controlled by a mysterious “ black box ,

Your black box brain might have an issue

Perhaps you can install a second oil sensor and a gauge

This way you would confirm that low oil pressure is the issue ...
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 15:11   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

No,he put a pressure gauge on it and it indeed does drop in pressure until it shuts down, the system is operating as it should, however the engine is not.
Sorry to be insulting but did you change oil just before this started, and if so you sure it’s the correct oil, it’s not 0W-20 car oil or something?
You sure it’s level isn’t real low, and the oil looks like oil and not a milkshake?

To me it sounds like you got a good mechanic, if your not tackling it yourself, I’d go with him, because I concur with both his diagnosis and his wanting to remove it to disassemble it.

How many hours on it?

Never mind, just heard it was rebuilt, I’m afraid it’s exhibiting the classic worn out motor symptoms, hopefully it will nw something simple like the oil pump wasn’t replaced and it now worn out but the motor is OK.

I would however have a talk with him, and let him know you don’t want to put a whole lot of money in it, to find out it’s toast.
Listen to what he says and get an estimate about the cost of a tear down, that should be a solid estimate, it’s all labor and he should know how many hours are required.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 15:17   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I’m afraid he’s going to tell you it needs a new motor or overhauling, and if so at that point I’d ask if he would buy it from me to reduce my bill, and I’d start shopping for a new generator.
Hopefully I’m wrong and the last mechanic left a shop towel in it and that’s clogging the oil pump or some other easy fix.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 17:25   #5

Thanks for the replies. I did change the oil and the fill is correct. The oil looks good and is not frothy. There are 44 hours on the rebuild. All but 1.5 with the old owner. Former owner said it was running fine for him...though I am suspect about that.

It is a Farryman 18W engine. Farryman North America must be out of business because no one answers the phone or responds to emails. This engine has an oil strainer rather than a filter, which I have not checked yet. I am not sure how possible that will be with the unit bolted into the sound shield. Does anyone know where it's oil pressure relief valve is found? Those are the last two things I can think to try.

I am generally ecstatic to let the mechanic run with it. It is the removing and reinstalling that is the pain in the rear. That is what I am trying to avoid if at all possible.

Thanks again
Cregan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 18:09   #6

Had one of those broke more than ran. Sent it to the trash and got a Honda.
PLANET EXPRESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 18:27   #7

Troubleshooting:
-Look at the label
-does it say Fischer Panda?
-If yes, then send it to the dump!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fish, Fisher