Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-01-2018, 19:32   #1

Flag terminal crimper?

There is great information around on the best tools for crimping the common connectors (e.g. https://marinehowto.com/marine-wire-termination/ and https://marinehowto.com/making-your-own-battery-cables/). However, I was wondering if there was a general consensus on the best crimper for "flag" terminals? Attached a few photos to show what I mean...

Thanks,

Allan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AN-03FL2.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	161584   Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	161585  

Click image for larger version

Name:	flag_terminals_2015.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	161586  
ayates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 20:35   #2

Boat: 1987 Classic 37
Re: Flag terminal crimper?

Hi Allan,
I don't have a flag terminal crimper, and I can't give you advice on the "best" one either. I can however, offer that I bought a similar terminal crimper and when I was shopping the prices varied wildly from over $200 to under $20.
Because I am not using it all of the time I went with a moderately priced ratcheting one for around $50. Really, it's just a crimper, and I can measure the "closed" size, and measure finished crimps to see if they are in spec, and I suppose even modify those sizes to some degree if I want to. But honestly, the tool does such a vastly superior job to any regular hand crimper that I've ever used that I haven't bothered measuring. I really can't pull the crimped fitting off the wire without a major effort and other tools. I suppose that's good enough.
I say this only because I am a firm believer in the buy once cry once rule with tools. But I also don't like to pay over inflated prices. In this case the tool only had different coloured handles than the really expensive name-brand ones, and I suspect they were made in the same factory.... It also had really good reviews from users.
I'm not sure if that will help at all, but good luck on your search either way.
Cheers,
Dave
Old 05-01-2018, 01:45   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

The quality of the crimper makes a big difference.

Pros in the U.S. seem to use non-ratcheting compound leverage crimpers. I haven't used these and can't comment, but looks to me like a fair amount of skill would be needed to get good results from them.

Quality ratcheting crimpers are expensive, and need to be calibrated peridocially. I use a Swedish one -- Pressmaster. Worth every penny in my book because I've used it for years and done hundreds of perfect crimps with it.

Note that a good crimper is only half of the equation -- you also need good crimp terminals, which correctly fit the crimper. I use Molex terminals, mostly Perma Seal heat seal ones, and they fit the Pressmaster perfectly. From time to time I have had to use random other crimp terminals, with varying results.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:18   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Research the terminals and their top makers and you will find recommendations for the specific crimpers, or dies to fit your existing frames.

Just the dies can cost $300, pro quality frames even more.

So people make do, usually overpaying for cheap noname Chinese junk.

Which at small AWG can be OK, worst case doing a pull-test on each connection will confirm they're gas-tight.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 13:55   #5

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

The flag crimp tool I use is this Panduit CT300-1 tool.

It works fine. I have not had any adverse issues using this tool.

wingless is offline   Reply With Quote