Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2016, 03:46   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Re: Float mode on solar controllers?- why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck Sailor View Post
Thanks for the information MS & 3rd Day. I do have or did have the SOC on my IPN ProRemote on the 3024I. My last charge session with the engine, it didn't show up. I will have to look into that.
I do have the float presently set at 14.2 and it seems to be making a difference but I won't know for sure until this evening when I run the engine again to further charge the battery. It is now down to 13.1V. I have acceptance set for 14.4V.

To respond to Third Day the solar panels appear to be more than enough wattage for the SOC suggested on the meter of 90% battery and ~-50 to 75 AH used overnight. The SCC changes to float usually between 1100 - 1300 each day unless I have something else happening like the draw on the water maker or cloud cover. At the time of going to float, the meter states 100% battery and -00 AH.
It may do this for days on end but the battery voltage is usually dropping as well. If I leave the boat unattended like I did recently, then it drops down until the PCM shuts down all load and disconnects the battery as it is supposed to do.

I will try to get the SOC working again but can rely on the voltage with this battery as it is a good indicator.

Why are you charging LFP at 14.4V & setting float at 14.2V? Depending upon the size of your array you are likely as full as you'd dare go with LFP at 14.0V.. My solar array is capable of a max of about 10A so on a 400Ah LFP bank by the time my batteries climb to 13.8V the bank is full and I shut down solar..

Tags
loa, solar