Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2023, 07:29   #31

Re: Flyback diodes on boats

Great. Thanks for posting your measurements and the followup.
Old 21-07-2023, 13:43   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANDINA View Post
So much advise from experts. My turn .
Current is unrelated to motor load current, the diode is never in series with the motor and only carries the inductive spike and only for milliseconds. Any 5 amp diode would be ample.
Voltage is unimportant, when blocking voltage the maximum it gets is battery voltage, any 50 volt or more diode will do. It never sees the inductive spike voltage, it is conducting it away.
I would recommend a minimum reverse diode voltage of twice the operating voltage of the motor so it can survive any positive transient voltages which may be on the line.
rbthorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2023, 13:55   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by team karst View Post
This magic diode continues to conduct the full coil current, which reduces as L x I sq energy dissipates in the R of that loop. Notably, if its a relay coil, the release time is significantly lengthened.
The diode is in forward conduction almost immediately after the relay voltage is removed (counter-EMF) causing it to dissipate the energy of the coil to ground so there is no delay.
Old 21-07-2023, 14:12   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngNate View Post
1. The flyback peak current will be equal to the current flowing in the coil when it is switched off. Your suppression diode should have a peak forward current rating (IFpk) of twice this value. A diode's peak current will be much higher than its average current, you will have to consult the data sheet for this.

2. Flyback is of the opposite polarity to the applied voltage. The diode's voltage rating (peak reverse voltage) is relevant to the supply voltage, not the flyback voltage. The flyback will be applied to the diode in the forward direction and so will be clamped to the diode's forward voltage drop value. Choose a diode with a PRV/PIV at least twice the supply voltage. (We always double the minimums)

3. Suppression diodes are only needed to protect components that remain connected to the coil when it is switched off, typically a transistor that drives a relay or solenoid. This is usually within the circuitry of a piece of equipment. The only instances I've seen where one was needed elsewhere is run-indicator lights connected to, for instance, an electric clutch coil.

That said, suppressing the spike at its source should work, but other things I would try are: connect a 0.1mfd capacitor across the connections of the sensor; Run the power for your counter back to the main distribution, don't have it share with any other circuit, and use filter capacitors at the power input - 470mfd and 0.1mfd in parallel.
The best place to suppress this issue is at the source. you probably will solve all your problems. Motors generally do not generate much, if any "flyback". A motor big enough operate a windlass is most certainly relay actuated. A relay coil can easily generate a flyback pulse of several hundred volts on a 12V system. A diode can shunt the flyback current to ground immediately thereby preventing a large pulse.
Old 21-07-2023, 17:20   #35

Do most 12V relays (like automotive style) have these built in?
markxengineerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 06:25   #36

Boat: Lagoon 380

I tend to doubt it. The drive ckt on the pcb usually has the diode; this way it is not dependent on the replaceable relay for it.
team karst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2023, 08:49   #37

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom 71'

Relays with built in diodes are very common. When ordering thousands from China we had to specifically request non-diode version. One shipment that came with them we hit with high forward current to fuse them out.
Old 26-07-2023, 16:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by markxengineerin View Post
Do most 12V relays (like automotive style) have these built in?
I am not aware that automotive relays have diodes built in but with all the equipment being electronically controlled it is likely that some of the relays may have some kind of protection built in. Resistors or capacitors are sometimes used instead.
Old 26-07-2023, 20:40   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbthorson View Post
I am not aware that automotive relays have diodes built in but with all the equipment being electronically controlled it is likely that some of the relays may have some kind of protection built in. Resistors or capacitors are sometimes used instead.
I agree, almost all relays do not have flyback diodes. The person designing the use of the relay should know this. Design it into the circuit if you think it is needed. Any relay with a flyback diode that is corrected backwards will blow the diode instantly.
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2023, 20:44   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by YANDINA View Post
Relays with built in diodes are very common. When ordering thousands from China we had to specifically request non-diode version. One shipment that came with them we hit with high forward current to fuse them out.
I guess your experience with flyback diodes installed in relays is different than mine. I never observed this in the products I used relays in. You could be in a different industry application.
danno7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat