Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2012, 09:36   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Fuse

ABYC calls for a fuse on every ungrounded wire with the exception of starting circuits. The standard is voluntary with builders and individuals.

But they aren't doing this to sell fuses - it's common sense.

I fuse starting circuits as well without issue.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:02   #32

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
Ah, yes, and I already knew that but had forgotten. I brought this up during an argument about fuel filter heat shield requirements for diesel engines. They brought up the part 183 fuel systems rules and I told them they only applied to gasoline engines. They didn't buy my argument.

Eric
What's this about fuel filter heat shield requirements? I'm in Australia so I know the US reg's dont' apply to me, but I do want to ensure my rebuild is entirely safe. So, what's the fuel system rules about for filter and heat requirements?
Ted
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:17   #33
Marine Service Provider

ABYC calls for a metal bowl fuel filter for both gasoline and diesel engines if the filter is in the engine compartment. A filter with a heat shield meets this requirement. Information here: The West Advisor: Diesel Filters ABYC Requirements
Old 17-04-2012, 05:33   #34

The filters my yacht has are glass bowls? But their pretty common in engine bays?
Old 17-04-2012, 07:15   #35

ABYC doesn't specifically call for metal bowl fuel filters. It states that all individual components of the fuel system shall be capable of withstanding a 2-1/2 minute fire test when tested in accordance with the Title 33 CFR, Section 183.590 fire test. This includes components outside the engine compartment if a break at any point will result in the discharge of more than five ounces of fuel in 2-1/2 minutes.

Fuel filters with the plastic see-thru bowls apparently will not meet the fire test requirement so if installed inside the engine compartment, they must have the metal heat shield installed. If you've ever seen this heat shield, you might wonder as I do if it really does much good at all.

In the argument I was in regarding a diesel fuel filter with plastic bowl, it was claimed that Coast Guard regulations required the metal heat shield. In my research, I found that the rules they were refering to, part 183 subpart J Fuel Systems, applied only to gasoline engines.

I was to install a water in fuel sensor into the bottom of the bowl of a diesel fuel filter that had the heat shield. I wanted to use the sensor that had the built-in electronics that would simply and directly connect to the existing Yanmar engine gauge panel that already has the alarm buzzer and indicator lamp for this. The sensor was too long to fit between the shield and the fitting for the sensor. I wanted to punch a hole just large enough for the sensor into the bottom of the shield. They were afraid this would violate CG rules. I proved to them that it was not part of the CG rules. They didn't buy it so I ended up installing the standard sensor which does fit, and then having to install the gauge which goes with the sensor and then internally modifying the gauge to provide output to the Yanmar panel.

ABYC rules are not law, just established recommendations. Funny that they reference part 183.590 fire test which only applies to gasoline engines in their H-33 Diesel Fuel Systems standards.

It is quite apparent that most people who are supposed to be "in the know" (including me who had a memory lapse) about the rules, including surveyors that I've questioned, are unaware that subparts of the part 183 regulations only apply to gasoline engines. It doesn't make sense to me why subpart I, Electrical Systems only applies to boats with gasoline engines In ABYC rules E-11 Electrical Systems, it notes; The United States Coast Guard has promulgated mandatory requirements for electrical systems in Title 33, CFR 183 Subpart I

Sounds like even ABYC is unaware that these requirements are only for boats with gasoline engines.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 15:22   #36

I think for my purposes then, I'll just ignore it completely.

Cheers. Ted
Old 17-04-2012, 17:06   #37
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairbank56 View Post
ABYC doesn't specifically call for metal bowl fuel filters. It states that all individual components of the fuel system shall be capable of withstanding a 2-1/2 minute fire test when tested in accordance with the Title 33 CFR, Section 183.590 fire test. This includes components outside the engine compartment if a break at any point will result in the discharge of more than five ounces of fuel in 2-1/2 minutes.

Fuel filters with the plastic see-thru bowls apparently will not meet the fire test requirement so if installed inside the engine compartment, they must have the metal heat shield installed. If you've ever seen this heat shield, you might wonder as I do if it really does much good at all.Eric
I should have added "or a shield". The link explains it.

Tags
fuses