Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2017, 03:02   #61

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS
Re: Generating power from main engine vs generator

Our sailboat has an 54HP Yanmar with 2x200A alternators and an 4KW Vetus generator. When charging our 1000AH Lifepo4 battery we can get 150A charging from the generator and 270A from the main engine at 2300 RPM and about 220A at 1800 RPM. The generator is the 3000rpm type, really makes a lot of noice.

The 3000W inverter is on all the time running our freezer and other stuff. We can run AC, induction plates for coocing, hoocha diving compressor, high pressure washer, anything we want really, right off the inverter.

When we charge with the engine we also make hot water. Only 1 hour of charging and we have 40L hot water.

We also have 1054W of solar power so we rearly need to charge using engine anyways.

We will now take out the generator and sell it as we hardly use it anymore. Its just 100kg that we dont need.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 07:11   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post
Our sailboat has an 54HP Yanmar with 2x200A alternators and an 4KW Vetus generator. When charging our 1000AH Lifepo4 battery we can get 150A charging from the generator and 270A from the main engine at 2300 RPM and about 220A at 1800 RPM. The generator is the 3000rpm type, really makes a lot of noice.

The 3000W inverter is on all the time running our freezer and other stuff. We can run AC, induction plates for coocing, hoocha diving compressor, high pressure washer, anything we want really, right off the inverter.

When we charge with the engine we also make hot water. Only 1 hour of charging and we have 40L hot water.

We also have 1054W of solar power so we rearly need to charge using engine anyways.

We will now take out the generator and sell it as we hardly use it anymore. Its just 100kg that we dont need.

Nice system . Similar to mine .

Differences are , neither my main engine or generator heat my water. I use a webasto DB2010 to do that, heats up the water in a bout 15 minutes. I also have no solar at all . I took the route to make water and power with my generator and have the inverter on all the time . On the hook I run generator for 2 hrs every 3 days. The main engine is a back up charge system and propulsion only. LifePo4 batteries make systems like ours possible.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 07:16   #63

Boat: Jeanneau 42 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
Nice system . Similar to mine .

Differences are , neither my main engine or generator heat my water. I use a webasto DB2010 to do that, heats up the water in a bout 15 minutes. I also have no solar at all . I took the route to make water and power with my generator and have the inverter on all the time . On the hook I run generator for 2 hrs every 3 days. The main engine is a back up charge system and propulsion only. LifePo4 batteries make systems like ours possible.

Regards John.
Thanks.
Sounds like it would be an easy task to hook up your main engine to your water heater, if you wanted to.

And yes. LIFEPO4 batteries are one of the best investments we have done on our boat, next to solar panels. We have not used the generator for 3 months.
offpist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 07:30   #64
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by offpist View Post
Thanks.
Sounds like it would be an easy task to hook up your main engine to your water heater, if you wanted to.

And yes. LIFEPO4 batteries are one of the best investments we have done on our boat, next to solar panels. We have not used the generator for 3 months.

Wow 3 months ! time to make it a mooring LOL

I designed and built my water heater in such a way that it draws the heat from the buffer tank filled with 12 gallons coolant with a 50 foot copper coil . So I actually don't hold any hot water , it is heated as it runs through the coil. Actually very simple , and limitless hot water. I guess I could put the generator and main engine into that coolant loop but that just adds more fittings and places to leak so for now the system runs perfectly with no problems .

I have no intention to use any solar . Unless diesel goes up to 10 dollars a gallon.

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2017, 12:12   #65

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
Generating power from main engine vs generator

Compared to some of you folks I'm a pip-squeak. I only run a 6kW Phasor low profile gen set which is somewhat different in that it uses a dual flat cog belt drive from the engine. Before you roll your eyes it does have some advantages. For instance I can easily unship just the engine or gen end, there are others but I'm not trying to sell anyone here.

What I do wish to share is the following: underway sailing or at anchor the gen set runs twice a day 6-9 morning and evening. That is when we charge batteries, make hot water, run the RO to make water, do laundry, cook, bathe, and do all the high power stuff. From 9-6 we are in low power mode on 4, T-125 Trojan batteries and solar. The D.C. Adler Barber is surprising frugal owning to modifications I have made in the box, and our 9 cubic foot Whirlpool deep freeze runs off an inverter and uses a bit more than I like but not outside reason.

My thesis here is that the power generation run hours are on the more easily accessible and manhandled engine or gen end of the gen set not the main which isn't as accessible or maneuverable. Main engine repairs also gets pricey real quick.

I do have a 150 amp Balmar alternator on the main which I utilize to the maximum extent possible when motoring but otherwise I choose to not put extra run hour on the main I can avoid by using the gen set.

You outlook may vary. :-)
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2017, 22:52   #66

John Holbrook,
Can you point me to Data that supports your claim the Fireflys can be charged at a rate near their capacity, I cannot find any evidence of this from the Mfg or other sources.

Thanks!

Eddie
Journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, generator