Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2013, 19:10   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
New to us boat has a mastervolt whispergen 6kw we we were aware the genset has issues. Has 1000 hours, starts and runs shuts off when powering up I know it needs a waterpump kit, exhaust elbow and heat exchanger. It has water flow temp and exh temp sensors that are contributing to the immediate shut sown. My concern is these units seem to be plagued with issues. The maintenance log was not filled out last 500 hours but prior 500 seemed plagued with water pump and sensor replacements.
Would you dump the $500-1000 not knowing if it is going to still work, into this unit or find a good used replacement? We have time I just hate wasting good money if these units arent really all that great?
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2013, 14:30   #2

Boat: OVNI 445, 44'
Re: Generator advice wanted

Hi,
I have a MasterVolt Whisper (2800 I think) on board and I also had some issues with the exhaust temperature sensor. If you are sure the temp is OK you can try to 'cheat' the sensor by cutting the cable some 5cm before the sensor and connect he 2 wires together before ordering a new sensor you will then have to reconnect. I did it as it was the advice I was given by their french support when at sea half way through the Atlantic. The sensor is known, at least on my version of the Generator, to have some issues.
If you have a mail address I can send you a PDF version of my Generator.
Alternatively, I would suggest you have a look at the MasterVolt web site in the Netherland download the User Manual of your Generator and leave a message. Usually the answer pretty fast.
I hop it helps.

Marc on S/Y Hanami II
hanami2 is offline   Reply With Quote