Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-04-2021, 04:12   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Generator circuit breaker tripped

Hey Forum. Yesterday got some seawater in an AC 110V outlet without knowing initially. I think later in the day when I started the generator it caused the Generator main circuit breaker to trip. It’s a Fuji EG53C 50 amp breaker. Normally I’d expect the breaker to reset just by toggling the switch from its tripped position back to ON but it is not doing so. There are a couple of buttons on the front of the breaker: a yellow one that pops out to show it has tripped, a red one that I think is a manual test, and another grey one that is a mystery. The labels are in Japanese. I have been trying to find and download details of the breakers operation but with little luck. Any ideas? Maybe the circuit needs to be energized (ie generator on) before it will reset? The cause of the original short has been fixed: the outlet dried, connections checked. Working ok on inverter.
Hobiehobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 05:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Generator circuit breaker tripped

The Fuji EG53C/50-30MA Earth Leakage Hydraulic Magnetic Circuit Breaker has been superceded. One source recommends the EW50EAG-3P050B as replacement.
Data sheet ➥ https://www.onlinecomponents.com/en/...30ma-11339603/

I have no specific familiarity with Fuji circuit breakers, but it appears to me that:
Yellow button indicates Ground Fault [earth leakage] trip.
Grey button indicates an Overload trip.
Red button is a Push to Test button.

Generally:
You have to cycle a breaker toggle to full “Off” position, prior to resetting to “On”. You should feel/hear a slight 'click', when the toggle reaches full Off.
When a breaker trips, the toggle moves to a central position, more towards Off, but not all the way.
Breakers can generally be re-set with power supply On or Off.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 07:26   #3

Gord. Thanks so much for this info. My sketchy internet connection out at Anegada just could not find anything on line. I tried to toggle to off before back to on. But it won’t “click” back into operational mode. Will try again. Maybe will have to replace.

But thanks so much for the reply!
Old 17-04-2021, 07:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Which of the mystery buttons was 'popped out', after the breaker tripped?
Did you try to re-set that button [press it back in], prior to resetting the toggle?

Old 17-04-2021, 07:37   #5

Yellow for ground leak. I tried but it does not stay in even though circuit is off. When I get back to boat going to try again now I know what the buttons do. Just scored a new outlet to replace the one that got wet just to be sure. Quite a remarkable find in Anegada!
Old 17-04-2021, 08:52   #6

If you do not hear a click as you put the breaker to on, it is probable that the breaker needs replaced.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 09:53   #7
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Hobiehobie: There may be residual seawater in the outlet which will continue to cause a ground fault >30mAAC so the ELCI will trip. When you have the outlet removed for replacement, insulate the wire ends and start the generator and attempt to reset the ELCI; full off position to full on position. If the wet out was the cause of the fault, the ELCI will reset.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2021, 10:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Good advice from CharlieJ.

Old 17-04-2021, 14:07   #9

Gentlemen. Problem resolved! I changed the GFCI outlet and then found that the breaker reset, but I had to push hard to off position to make it click in engagement. I was being too timid before. But if I had not followed your advice and changed the salty outlet I would have been back to tripping the breaker.

Thanks so much for your thoughts and advice!
Old 18-04-2021, 10:22   #10

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965

Did you first try turning off the circuit breaker for the service to the outlets that got water in them. Maybe the slug or wires have failed at the breaker is letting you know.
Old saying that if the repair didn’t work as expected then it is likely another problem.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator