Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2019, 19:32   #1

Boat: chris craft 55' constelation
generator/inverter

Ok. Boat sunk - gen set stuffed!
Do I repair Fischer Panda gen set or - as the 'young guns' advise - get Honda 5.5kva gen/inverter which, with good batteries, will do both 12v and 240v for fridges, micro wave and hot water.
Heard it chews battery power so what are 'good batteries'?
Currently have 4x 6v golf buggy batteries.
Now please, before you get too technical - I can switch on a torch and turn on a light - but fixing either of them - is not really my expertise.
Cheers

gbmacca
gbmacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2019, 23:13   #2

Re: generator/inverter

Depends very much on your usage case.

You maybe better off with an installed gen set.

You may be better off with more batteries, solar panels and an inverter.

I cannot, in good conscience, advise a portable generator.
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2019, 18:31   #3

Thanks Mick.

Usage would be for intervals up to a week on a nearby Island and have two fridges, plus hot water system to worry about.

I note that most modern caravans are using this mobile generator system, but am yet to meet someone who has done it with a boat.

Are we behind the times as these new generators are both generator and Inverters so can do 12v/240v?

Like my past marriage - I am constantly confused - or should I say -- confused constantly ----!

Gbmacca
Old 14-05-2019, 19:19   #4

I am really confused... some of the Honda’s are inverter based inside the gen. This just means the sine wave is cleaner. It is not the same as having an inverter on the boat. It’s just a type of gen.

There is no way you could run a 5.5kw Honda gen on a boat. You can’t even lift it. Or store it.

Some people run a 2kw. Some run two 2kw plugged together. Each could be lifted.

They would be used to charge batteries. Which you could then drain with the on board inverter which you also need . To continue to power ac loads. Otherwise the gen runs 24/7

But I would never run a temporary gen on a boat. It is not safe. If you need a gen. Fix or replace the on board one.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2019, 03:48   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbmacca View Post

Do I repair Fischer Panda gen set or - as the 'young guns' advise - get Honda 5.5kva gen/inverter which, with good batteries, will do both 12v and 240v for fridges, micro wave and hot water.

Now please, before you get too technical - I can switch on a torch and turn on a light - but fixing either of them - is not really my expertise.

Cheers

gbmacca

Your confusing what the inverter gen is. It’s got nothing to do with 12volt. The inverter is a way for the multi phase high voltage power output of the generator to be cleaned and regulated to a nominal 240v at a steady frequency regardless of engine speed for your consumption. You’d still need a battery charger to put juice back into your batteries.

A 5500 watt Honda generator is too large for you to store away when not in use and then pull out and set on a swim step when using.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 03:04   #6

Gbmacca,

On our boat (30 foot sea ray power cruiser) we don’t have the optional gen set. We have 460AH worth of lead acid deep cycle flooded batteries, an 80W solar panel and a Victron 1200W inverter/charger.

In good clear weather, we can run both fridges, use the stove/microwave/tv/lighting/laptop for 3 days, but this does draw the batteries down 100% (so not good for them long term) - ideally, we need 3-400watts of solar, then we could go indefinitely (assuming good weather no clouds) or about 900watts solar and 690AH batteries then we could go indefinitely even with 2/3 cloudy/rainy winters days. At the moment if we get voltage critical, we crank the engines for an hour or 2, we can’t see the point in spending on a genset (not keen on the noise/fumes camping out) but do see the value in better solar and batteries. YMMV
mickt243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 03:48   #7

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Cheers

gbmacca
You could salvage the engine from the genset and hang a bus alternator behind it and fit a 1,500 watt inverter.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 06:05   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

You're messing with gasoline and a potential portable genset. OK, so am I. In my case it's plan B for a completely diesel system (engine and fixed genset). That means a way to store gasoline for the genset that puts spills and fumes overboard, not into your bilge, and carbon monoxide detectors in every occupied space. You just do not know where the CO is going when you put a genset on the deck. I don't recommend swim platforms as a location. We had a woman who was cleaning the edge of the hull under a swim platform die from CO.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 06:43   #9

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Of all the places to place a generator, the swim platform is most likely to keep CO out of the living spaces.

Saying it’s a bad place because someone succumbed to CO while under a platform with a generator running is akin to putting “warning potential pinch point” signs on 500 ton hydraulic press.

You can’t make the world perfect.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2019, 07:15   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

OK, I agree, Sail Monkey. It's an example of personal experience getting in the way of rational thought. If I was still teaching psychology, I'd use it in class.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2019, 20:54   #11

Hi guys

Thanks for your replies - however - as mentioned when it comes to electrics - it is not that I am slow - its just that a lot of people - are faster than me!

There is a local generator manufacturer whose generator/invertor produces 3600 + watts and has been successfully used in caravans for air conditioning, microwaves et al. It can be towed on two wheel trolley, has remote start and can be plumbed for exhaust to vent externally. Cost Aus $1800.

It is a petrol fuel injection system so care would need to be taken with that.

Your thoughts?

Gbmacca
Old 17-05-2019, 21:13   #12

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.50

Quote:
Hi guys

Thanks for your replies - however - as mentioned when it comes to electrics - it is not that I am slow - its just that a lot of people - are faster than me!

There is a local generator manufacturer whose generator/invertor produces 3600 + watts and has been successfully used in caravans for air conditioning, microwaves et al. It can be towed on two wheel trolley, has remote start and can be plumbed for exhaust to vent externally. Cost Aus $1800.

It is a petrol fuel injection system so care would need to be taken with that.

Your thoughts?

Gbmacca

If your main engine is a diesel you need to be careful about gasoline vapors. There are lots of gasoline boats so its doable. There are a myriad of issues such as cooling, proper combustion air etc. If you can live with them I guess its okay. Not something I would do. I am not sure your insurance company would like it.
Sailor 99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter