Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-04-2016, 13:21   #31

Re: Generator Water Pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Mine has just died, it's a Jabsco and obviously death was preceded by seal failures, contamination of bearings and seizure of bearings.
It is a year old, 200 hours, supposedly good pump, yet it is apparently the Achilles heel of a Nexgen generator, My failure is not an isolated one.
So why can't I plumb in a March Airconditioner electric pump that runs whenever the generator in making AC power?
Yes it would have to be below water line down there with the thru hull, but these pumps fun for years and thousands of hours without a failure, and unlike the Jabsco when they go, the don't spray salt water around inside of the generator sound shield before they do. I'm largely upset with the salt water being sprayed around I obviously want that to not happen again.
Now a generator is a constant RPM thing, so therefore constant water supply, so why isn't the March pump used?

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
You could. I have run the little horizontal Kubota diesel off an electric waterpump before. I only did it in testing. However not sure the little refrig unit is big enough. I was considering doing it so I could have the little motor run two devices off the existing double pulley. In the end I decided it was asking for trouble, and possibly burning up the engine risk.
However, that Jabsco should last for years. Is your belt tension too tight? It takes almost no tension at all to run that little pump, IME. My Jabsco bronze impellor pump never did need an impellor changed.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2016, 14:58   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It has a toothed drive belt, so it was just tight enough to remove the slop as of course teeth don't slip.
It seized at 200 hours, I have no idea but bet the impeller is still in fine shape.
West Marine says they can get me a new pump for $145. I'm highly suspicious of that however as the rebuild kit for this pump is around $165 or so at most places.

I'll get up Sat morning and go get the fittings necessary to install the pump and hopefully should be finished by Lunch so we can go anchor out, this time of year it's nice to anchor out, not hot yet.

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 16:45   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

OK installed this weekend, worked great, ran it for several hours.
I find out the requirement for water flow from Nexgen was 4 gl a min. The pump I used will supply 8 gl a min with a ten ft head, so I assumed I would have to put a valve to restrict flow after the pump, but I didn't, you can tell there is more flow, but the exhaust handles it with ease, of course soon as the engine starts it goes to 2850 RPM and as long as it's running, it stays at that RPM.
I see no downside to this mod, I got rid of the manual pump and its issues with bearing, seals and rubber impellers.
The promised pump WM ordered for me, has yet to arrive

a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 16:48   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK installed this weekend, worked great, ran it for several hours.
I find out the requirement for water flow from Nexgen was 4 gl a min. The pump I used will supply 8 gl a min with a ten ft head, so I assumed I would have to put a valve to restrict flow after the pump, but I didn't, you can tell there is more flow, but the exhaust handles it with ease, of course soon as the engine starts it goes to 2850 RPM and as long as it's running, it stays at that RPM.
I see no downside to this mod, I got rid of the manual pump and its issues with bearing, seals and rubber impellers.
The promised pump WM ordered for me, has yet to arrive

Was it any quieter with all the extra water in the exhaust line?
Old 01-05-2016, 17:02   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Excellent. Photos?

Tags
generator, water