Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2016, 14:47   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Genset Guru Question

I have just discovered that the 12v battery charging regulator on my Onan genset was never hooked up. This is supposed to push up to 10 amps back into the start battery while the the genset is running. I tested the voltage without it being hooked up to the start battery and it was over 18. Is this normal for a regulator without a battery in the circuit or should I suspect that it was never any good and the original installers just decided to disconnect it rather than fix it? I have decided to add a blower to my genset compartment as it gets very warm. My 120V battery charger is already marginally sized and I don't like the idea of dumping 4 amps of my bulk charging output into the blower. I would rather take it off this charging circuit since to will only be on when the genset is running.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 16:25   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Genset Guru Question

The bridge rectifier output voltage will be high until it's attached to a battery. Perfectly normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote