Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2006, 02:17   #16

Well Alan.

When I was studying about astronomy years back. This is what "I" only knew about.

"Of course" there has been some technical strides since my tenor in school. And it sounds like you're phrasing from "Star Trek"? Using neutrino's!!

And yes. This is a sailing BB.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 04:04   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I suspect that Kevin must have been ”... studying about astronomy years back...” at Cornell - it seems he’s "citing* the information posted by Amelie Saintonge (a grad’ student) in 2002 on the Cornell University’s “Ask an Astronomer” website:
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/aboutus.php

Specifically:
”Can we see dead stars with the naked eye?” ~ by Amelie Saintonge
http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=392

* It seems, however, that Kevin has forgotten previous advice that a proper citation includes the author's name (or the document's title, if no author is identified) and a page reference or other information showing where in a source cited material appears.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 04:51   #18

WRONG Gord.

Those are notes that I wrote down 16 years ago. From a astronomy course that I took. Long distance home course. Due to me being on a 6 month deployment on a US Naval Warship.

Pretty cool, eh?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 18-06-2006, 05:10   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
My apologies. You must, however, concede that your personal notes represent the most remarkable coincidence. I should have noted the similitude between your normal writing style and your “notes that I (sic) wrote down 16 years ago”.

Goto the citation < http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/que...php?number=392 > which begins:
”When a star 'dies' (by that I mean when there are no more nuclear fusion reactions going on in it), it can take three different forms. Depending on the initial mass of the star, it will become either a white dwarf, a neutron star or a black hole.

You can immediately rule out seeing black holes because they don't emit any light, and neutron stars because they are too small. This leaves us with white dwarfs, which are the larger of the three possible end products for stars ...”

and continues “word for word” with "your notes".
I wonder how she got hold of your old notes, and why she would have the temerity to publish them as her own work?

ps:
After you look up the meaning of "temerity", try "sarcasm".

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 05:17   #20

That was the same notes that I wrote. Weird.

Probably that same person who wrote that was our professor who was teaching the course. Funny, how it ends up on the net.

When they presented the course. I taped and then later wrote them down. Word for word.

Well, that explains alot. Makes me feel odd looking at it on the internet.

Old 18-06-2006, 06:16   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Wheels-
"Errr, light is 186,000 miles per second not feet per second." Well, would you believe...I made a conversion error, my speedometer only reads out in foot-furlongs per second?<VBG> That's why I'm not allowed to pilot starships until the "fully caffienated!" light comes on.<G>

"It's waaay cool stuff " Maybe. Certainly interesting, but in many ways it makes me feel like my dog dealing with an elevator. (Huh?) Yeah, you know, from a dog's point of view what's a elevator? Some magic room, you get in "here" you get out "there" and how or why it works or sometimes doesn't work...You (the dog) don't and can't understand, so you just accept it. And hope it works a little faster when you've really really got to get outside to lift a leg now please!<G>

"Is what we are seeing real." Ah, reality. Vastly over-rated.<G>

"But it sure is cool fun trying to find out." Just make sure the neighbors aren't building particle accelerators in the back yard to experiment with this. It tends to upset the pets and livestock.<G>

"this is a sailing BB. I should not have gone off topic to begin with."
OT? Well, if the running rigging on your sailboat is ever going to properly interface with all eleven dimensions, someone had better start planning ahead for it now!
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 07:33   #22

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Call the thread police!! This one's been hijacked!!
Old 18-06-2006, 08:08   #23

Not "Notes"

It sounds as if what Kevin wrote down wasn't notes (a shortened version of a professor's lecture containing essential information, key points, and doodles in the margins) but rather a transcription, a word-for-word written record of (in this case) a tape-recorded lecture.

That the info on the webpage and Kevin's transcription match so well indicates that at the time of the lecture the professor spoke from a prepared text, which text then was published on the webpage.

Gord is still right to point out the need for citing (giving credit for) material that is not the poster's own. But in this case, Kevin could not have predicted his "class notes" he dug up and posted might be published on the internet, nearly word-for-word, sometime later (but yeah, it didn't read like the Kevin we know, and telling us were he got the info. would have been a type of citation). I think Gord's suspicion when the texts matched and Kevin pleaded innocence must be excused this time.

From generators to particle physics. Wow.
Old 18-06-2006, 12:05   #24

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
A simple way to check whether something is plagiarised or quoted without attribution is to check the punctuation, especially bracketed words or phrases. If the two articles are identical in punctuation, it is highly unlikely that one was transcribed from a recording or notes.
Old 18-06-2006, 12:39   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Hellosailer, evertime I try and fire the accelerator up, I brown out the country. Hehe, and Auckland thought it was a grid problem. (Only Gmac and Seafox will get that)
K, looks like we have something in common then. I wanted to become an Astronaut when I grew up. I was six at the time I had that idea. But I held onto the dreanm till I was old enough to realise being an Astronaut meant you had nasty things stuck up places you don't want things stuck, so I decided to side step to Astronomer. I studied Astronomy for years and have never really stopped. Because I my Dislexia, I tend to get into quntum stuff. I can understand it because I think so differently. Not saying I am up there with any great minds. It's just a very cool hobby.

The biggest problem with copying things like above, is that you don't always understand the depths. K commented about stars taking on three forms. But actually, it depends on the star as to what form and in total there are way more than three forms. The original text was refering to one particular Star form and what is likely to happen to it.

Anyway's, to get this back on track to something more sailing related.
Firstly, I am captivated by the night sky. You see stuff out there you can't back on land. I am away from the City, but still can't see from light polution, anywhere near as much as out at sea. Of course, my wife just thinks I'm nuts wanting to steer at the sky at night.

Question, does anyone here on the Forum actually use stars to navigate with?? or is that an art long since dead or too inaccurate.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2006, 13:06   #26

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Wheels,

The stars are very accurate if you're an experienced navigator but gps is so much easier.
Old 18-06-2006, 18:43   #27
Kai Nui

Wheels, not off topic at all. I think there have to be some cosmic forces in play here with all of the frustration that Sean has been going through
Old 18-06-2006, 23:25   #28
Kai Nui

GORD, thanks for the interesting links. I guess K was in the center of a black hole when he transcribed those notes.
Old 19-06-2006, 07:15   #29

The black hole of an aircraft carrier.

Many decks below clean outside air!!

Old 20-06-2006, 10:41   #30
cruiser

This is MAJOR thread drift. Lucky for you guys I have a physics degree and loved reading it! ha ha ha
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reviews