Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2021, 11:07   #16

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more
Re: Glacier Bay Fridge/Freezer Help

Is the Dometic running the airconditioning too?
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2021, 12:19   #17

Yes we now have three separate Dometic units.
Ferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 20:33   #18

Boat: Hood 38 - Wauquiez

Back on this thread as I have been mucking about with the controller trying to get it to show temp in C not F.

I followed the manual to change it, but really not sure if it is reading in C now.

Is the temp displayed the plate temp or the air temp?

I wonder if there is a aftermarket controller for the GB system as the controller that is there is a PITA to try to navigate around.
BigAl.NZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2021, 21:46   #19

Ok - I have done some reading. Here is our seperate controllers for the Fridger and Freezer.

As previously pointed out in this thread it is a priority system, so fridge wont go until freezer is at set point (st) temp.

The controller is evidently a Carel IR32 - which appears to be quite a common controller.

C versus F

The rparts manual details how to change C18 parameter to O for C (1 for F) for the "display scale"
https://www.rparts.com/documents/Int...ramming_V2.pdf

The carel manual simply says "units"
http://www.hvacrinfo.com/Controllers...ron%20IR32.pdf

It is unclear if C18 changes not only the display scale, but also the programming parameters (ST and P) to C (or do you still program in F?) - anyone know the answer?

I am also trying to work out the P1 parameter. Its the differential parameter (i.e. the temp at which the fridge/freezer will switch back on).

Does P1 4 represent the number of degrees difference that it will turn on at OR the temperature at which it will turn on at?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me with these answers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211107_113615.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	250400  
Old 28-12-2021, 01:30   #20
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAl.NZ View Post
Ok - I have done some reading. Here is our seperate controllers for the Fridger and Freezer.

As previously pointed out in this thread it is a priority system, so fridge wont go until freezer is at set point (st) temp.

The controller is evidently a Carel IR32 - which appears to be quite a common controller.

C versus F

The rparts manual details how to change C18 parameter to O for C (1 for F) for the "display scale"
https://www.rparts.com/documents/Int...ramming_V2.pdf

The carel manual simply says "units"
http://www.hvacrinfo.com/Controllers...ron%20IR32.pdf

It is unclear if C18 changes not only the display scale, but also the programming parameters (ST and P) to C (or do you still program in F?) - anyone know the answer?

I am also trying to work out the P1 parameter. Its the differential parameter (i.e. the temp at which the fridge/freezer will switch back on).

Does P1 4 represent the number of degrees difference that it will turn on at OR the temperature at which it will turn on at?

Many thanks to anyone who can help me with these answers.
Hi Al, I am not familiar with that particular digital controller but usually dig controllers fall into two groups:

1: Pressing SET brings up a letter and number (F1, F2 etc) These have a temperature cut out temperature setting and a separate cut in temperature setting. So lets say F1 = cut in reading +4c and F2 = cut out reading +1C, the controller will cause the unit to start at +4 then stop at +1.

2: Pressing the SET brings up 'SET' which is the cut out temperature. Pressing SET again sees HYS (hysteresis or differential) value appear. If the SET is set to +1 and the HYS is set to 3c the unit will start at SET value plus the HYS value (+4) then cut out at SET (+1)
Note HYS is a number of degree while other values are temperature.

Hope this helps, Cheers OzeLouie
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2021, 01:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzeLouie View Post
Hi Al, I am not familiar with that particular digital controller but usually dig controllers fall into two groups:

1: Pressing SET brings up a letter and number (F1, F2 etc) These have a temperature cut out temperature setting and a separate cut in temperature setting. So lets say F1 = cut in reading +4c and F2 = cut out reading +1C, the controller will cause the unit to start at +4 then stop at +1.

2: Pressing the SET brings up 'SET' which is the cut out temperature. Pressing SET again sees HYS (hysteresis or differential) value appear. If the SET is set to +1 and the HYS is set to 3c the unit will start at SET value plus the HYS value (+4) then cut out at SET (+1)
Note HYS is a number of degree while other values are temperature.

Hope this helps, Cheers OzeLouie
Yes what you have said makes sense - but that is the question - is it number of degrees or temp?

I am leaning towards numbers of degrees since it talks of differential and "degrees added to set point".
Old 28-12-2021, 03:02   #22
cruiser

Boat: 2017

Quote:
Yes what you have said makes sense - but that is the question - is it number of degrees or temp?

I am leaning towards numbers of degrees since it talks of differential and "degrees added to set point".
If your screen displays a letter and number then it is a temperature (ie: F1, F2 etc that is the actual temperature that is settable separately for both cut off and cut in temperatures.

If your screen displays HYS followed by a number then that number is not a temperature setting but a number of degrees. The number found as SET is a temperature setting! For example if the temperature SET cut off is set at say +1 and the HYS is set as 3degrees, the unit will cut off at +1 (an actual temperature) then restart at +4. (That is SET cut out temperature plus the number of degree that the HYS is set at) HYS = Hysteresis and often referred to as 'Differential.. a NUMBER of degrees not an actual temperature.

Cheers OzeLouie
OzeLouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 12:20   #23

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

Quote:

It is the number of degrees difference between the cut-in point and the shut off point.

I also have a GB system which I am planning to replace this summer (because it is loud and power hungry, not because it does not work).
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 05:48   #24

Boat: Norseman 447

The Carel controllers are still available and still comparatively expensive because they have a lot of functions, most of which aren’t used in the GB system. For example, are you using the feature that allows you to have different set-points when the engine is providing "excess power?" If not, then there are electronic thermostats ranging from about $10 and up that will work just fine.

The Carel has the capability to attach two temperature sensor probes. The GB system used one to measure the temperature of the cold plate itself the second one was optional and used to measure the air temperature of the box. There’s a setup parameter which decides which one is displayed by default.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 10:30   #25

Just reviving this thread briefly. Our Glacier bay has started to draw 40A when running. I always recall it being more like 14A (which was bad enough).

Any ideas if this is a sign of impending failure?

I tried to ring the Pacific Sea Breeze but they block international calls by the look of it and don't reply to email.
Old 08-07-2023, 11:39   #26

40 amps sounds about right, IIRC. It’s supposed to run about 50 minutes to freeze my plate, which allowing for inefficiencies, means about 40-50 Ah/day.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:10   #27

Bugger, I never recall it being that high.
Any idea on type of oil it takes? We have pump oil for our watermaker which may be suitable?
Old 08-07-2023, 12:42   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From the Glacier Bay Library:
Maximum Continous Current Draws
System Current (Includes water pump)
Micro HPS 12 vdc 45 Amps
Micro HPS 24 vdc 23 Amps
The Micro HPS draws 28 amps at 12 V while the refrigerator or freezer is running, and 45 amps at 12 V while the air conditioning is running.
http://www.pacificseabreeze.com/docu...tionManual.pdf
Feed /w 50A Cct Breaker @ 12Vhttp://www.pacificseabreeze.com/docu...uide110312.pdf

http://www.pacificseabreeze.com/tech...ng/1batcrg.htm

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:54   #29

The HPS system is different. The older GB system has a reciprocating compressor and a huge 1/2 HP DC motor about 650 RPM directly coupled to the compressor. This one I know for sure draws 40-50 anmps. And someplace I seem to remember that they had a belt-driven one too.
Old 08-07-2023, 13:11   #30

Yes! This one has the 1/2HP 650 RPM direct coupled motor. Looking to put oil in. Presume SAE10 as I can't find in manual.

Tags
freezer