Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2016, 14:25   #1

Boat: Grand Banks 49
Golf Cart (6 volt) battery watering system

I've seen some systems for sale that purport to allow watering 6 volt batteries via a system of special caps, tubing and a hand pump. Here's an example of one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV20.../dp/B001FCAXT0

and here's another one:

Battery Watering Systems, Marine Dock Products, Solar Dock Lights: PRO-FILL 24V Kit- For four 6V batteries w/ 2.7" cell spacing

Has anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing? If so, are there any caveats to look out for? Did it work as advertised? Any other issues?
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 14:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Golf Cart (6 volt) battery watering system

Installed a system on my batteries, believe it's made in Germany. A bit more expensive but quality of components is excellent and easy to add extra batteries and/or different types of batteries. The system is modular so spacing of fill pikas doesn't matter.

Because of space constrictions, two of four batteries required pulling the batteries out to service. Of course that meant I wasn't as religious as I should have been in keeping the electrolyte up and shortened the batteries life. Installed the watering system and keeping the fluid at optimum level is just a few squeezes on the bulb pump. The system would have paid for itself many times over if I'd done it when I bought the boat.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 15:25   #3

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post
I've seen some systems for sale that purport to allow watering 6 volt batteries via a system of special caps, tubing and a hand pump. Here's an example of one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Flow-Rite-RV20.../dp/B001FCAXT0

and here's another one:

Battery Watering Systems, Marine Dock Products, Solar Dock Lights: PRO-FILL 24V Kit- For four 6V batteries w/ 2.7" cell spacing

Has anyone here had any experience with this sort of thing? If so, are there any caveats to look out for? Did it work as advertised? Any other issues?
Hi Wayne,

I installed the Trojan watering system when I replaced my house bank summer 2014. It is one of the best things I ever did- especially since our house bank is buried under tools and spare parts stowage...

I decided on Trojan not only because I had installed 8 T105 batteries, but also because it is lower profile, more robustly constructed than the Flow-Rite version, and it purports to have flame arrest capability built-in.

If you want more details and links to additional information and purchase sources, here is the link to my blog post about that project.

Best wishes finding what is best for your needs.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 08-04-2016, 20:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne.b View Post

Amazon.com: Flow-Rite RV2000 Pro-Fill RV Edition 2 Battery Kit: Automotive

and here's another one:

I have them on my 4x GC battery system and also on my 6x GC battery system. Best investment I ever made, because I got a little lazy in the summer and didn't check my batteries often enough and ruined a couple of sets of batteries.

I also sell them, much cheaper than anyone else. PM me for further details. Mine come with the squeeze bulb and they have a white dot in the cap that tells you when the cell is full.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 08:17   #5

Boat: Meridian 40' Sedan

I have it on my power boat taking care of 7 batteries. Sure save time and effort for me. Nice to not have to remove any caps; the the bulb is tight they are full.
Louise
lsearite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:36   #6

Boat: Caliber 38

I installed a Trojan watering system for my house bank about three years ago. I love the system it make the monthly ritual of topping up the batteries very simple and a quick 15 minutes instead of the hour ++ it use to take due to its location and all the items I had to remove to be able to access it. Just connect the hose to the distilled water jug. Squeeze the bulb a few times until you feel pressure and you are done.
Back to sailing or other chores.
Old 14-04-2016, 09:26   #7

Boat: 1989 Cabo Rico 34

I just installed one as well. Does anyone have concerns about the new caps leaking when the boat is heeled?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-04-2016, 16:32   #8

Boat: Caliber 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppySailor View Post
I just installed one as well. Does anyone have concerns about the new caps leaking when the boat is heeled?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I installed mine in summer of 2012. Never had a leak.
Not sure how it could happen as once installed it is a "closed" system until you connect the bulb assembly. Once you done put the end cap back on and its closed.

Tags
battery, water