Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2021, 19:04   #1

Boat: Colegate 26
Granular Energy Monitoring

Has anyone use something like a Sense smart home energy monitor on their boat to get more detailed reports of energy usage onboard? There are a variety of products but that's the one I am familiar with because they were showing up in my YouTube ads for several months.

https://sense.com/product/

It apparently only needs to monitor the main feed and does some kind of smart identification of devices by determining increase and decrease in power on the line. Though I think now they have multiple clamps to split it up and identify stuff more quickly.

Most of us have a small amount of electrical items on the boat, but it seems to be growing every year. I've often thought it would be nice to have a monitor on each circuit, AC and DC, and a fairly detailed log of use to help track down what's consuming all my power.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2021, 21:30   #2

Re: Granular Energy Monitoring

I have the Sense at home - it “learns” the noise signatures of the various devices via two monitoring “clamps”, one over the main AC in, and another around the wires leading to the Solar circuit breaker(s).

It uses an internet connection to gain access to the hive mind for its analysis and it takes weeks (if not longer) for must devices to be detected. And you can’t “help it along “ either, so it can be a bit frustrating.

And doesn’t look at DC loads at all.

So while it may work on a boat with internet access and frequent on/off AC loads, I’m not sure that would be an ideal usage.

Does a reasonable job at home though.
tek-noid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor