Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 11:51   #16

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40
Re: Great Lug Crimper... Surprising !

sailersteve - I asked a similar question a while back.. Do a search as there were a few opinions..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 11:51   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Looks good, but the mm2 sizes they provide are NOT direct AWG equivalents, they are all off a bit. The lack of any brand name also leaves one to wonder, will they continue to be "close enough" to make good crimps on AWG cables when the next batch is made?

"Solder bad. causes problems. Crimp better. "
Ever see the power cables running to an elevator hoist motor? They're SOLDERED into the lugs. Not crimped. And somehow, they don't burst into flames...
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 11:59   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

A correctly done crimp allegedly creates a molecular bond between the wire and the terminal. In the aerospace cable shops wherever possible they'd crimp. All soldering had to be inspected with a magnifier. I don't remember at what magnification.

You also have to be careful not to nick the wire when stripping the insulation as that can be a failure point as well. I never have seen an insulation stripper for battery cable sized wire. I wonder how well my hot knife would work?
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 12:55   #19

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Looks good, but the mm2 sizes they provide are NOT direct AWG equivalents, they are all off a bit. The lack of any brand name also leaves one to wonder, will they continue to be "close enough" to make good crimps on AWG cables when the next batch is made?

"Solder bad. causes problems. Crimp better. "
Ever see the power cables running to an elevator hoist motor? They're SOLDERED into the lugs. Not crimped. And somehow, they don't burst into flames...
By what I have found is that one should avoid solid-strand cables or wires on board boats. When you solder, it becomes solid.

From ABYC:

E-9.17.12.8 Solder shall not be the sole means of mechanical connection in any circuit. If soldered, the connection shall be so located or supported as to minimize flexing of the conductor where the solder changes the flexible conductor into a solid conductor.
EXCEPTION: Battery lugs with a solder contact length of not less than 1.5 times the diameter of the conductor.
NOTE: When a stranded conductor is soldered, the soldered portion of the conductor becomes a solid strand conductor and flexing can cause the conductor to break at the end of the solder joint unless adequate additional support is provided.
E-9.17.12.9 Crimp-on connectors shall be attached with crimping tools designed for the connector used, and to produce a connection that meets the requirements of E-9.17.12.4.
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 14:52   #20

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

FWIW:

In these discussions, there is always talk about vibrations causing fatigue failures in soldered terminals. There is the implication that there is a severe vibration environment leading to this failure mode. In my experience in sailing yachts, there is no such environment, either under sail or under power, with the exception of wires going to an engine on soft mounts. This is especially true in such cabling as inter-battery runs, battery to bussbar or battery to panel sorts of wiring. Further, if protected with sealed heatshrink, the dread "salt laden atmosphere" has not been an issue, at least in below deck wiring.

I have the belief that much of the worry about such things is predicated on experience with motor vessels and open boats where the exposure to vibration and corrosion is far worse. For my own usage, crimping is much easier and faster than soldering, but I would not worry about a solely soldered joint on my boat.

Jim
Old 26-11-2014, 16:33   #21

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

Thanks typhoon . Great article . The end of the article said ; if you don't know how to solder, DON'T ..!! Here are a couple of tips on soldering ; Clean clean clean, sandpaper (Emery cloth) or wire brush perfectly clean, wire & or fittings . FLUXING & TINNING , Tinn all wire & or fittings ( TINNING FLUX ) usually with green label . Cooling solder joint , do not move, vibrate, or breath on a hot connection . Allow to cool 2 minutes & DO NOT use a wet rag on it until then or will cause fracture cracks in the solder. HEATING , don't over heat, burn, blacken solder, ( carbon contamination ) etc. Follow these tips for good joints/connections.They will start to look better after you've done a few. Plumber,retired.
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 16:53   #22

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I found the secret to being an internet million air . xbey, 16 Ton Hydraulic crimper tool w/ 11 Dies $359.90 Free Shipping, buy it now. A little farther down the same page on xbey , 16 Ton Hydraulic crimper tool w/11 Dies $45.95 Free Shipping, buy it now. Now that my friends is how you become an internet million air ! I guaroontee !
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 13:10   #23

Boat: Hudson Force 50 Center Cockpit

Thanks for the post.
I bought one. We will see how it works out.
Wind River is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 13:39   #24

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Curious! Seems you would have a lot of large gauge wire to crimp to justify having on. A hand crimper is fine for smaller wire. Not necessarily the cost more the storage.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 13:55   #25

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Curious! Seems you would have a lot of large gauge wire to crimp to justify having on. A hand crimper is fine for smaller wire. Not necessarily the cost more the storage.
I agree , but if you are installing any thing where you have to re-cable it is very hard to have someone make you up cables when you are measuring as you go along .

So this is really a refit tool, not one that you would normally have. But it pays for itself in about 2 or three cables , plus you can help out your buddies if they need crimps .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2014, 16:37   #26
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cadence-
It is the quantity so much as it is the matter of being able to get even ONE proper crimp made up on ONE battery cable.
The big box hardware stores do a "Jamaican crimp" aka squash it in a big bench vise. The WM stores will gladly let you use their bench tool is you buy the wire or lugs there--but it still is the wrong tool
And no electrician is going to welcome you in for one crimp of your own wires.

So you can spend an entire day trying to track down someone, somewhere, to make one crimp (even in a major city) or you can wait a week for someplace like Genuinedealz to make up the part for you. Or...

You're forced, plain and simple, FORCED, to buy an expensive tool if you want to make even one new battery cable on your own terms, timing, and condition.

ABYC lives in the penthouse of an ivory tower. They don't associate much with individual *owners* trying to refit boats.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 08:27   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 473

I've been really happy with the hydraulic crimper I bought on ebay. Must have made about 30 or 40 crimps with it in 25mm2, and 50mm2 cable. The cost of hiring a crimp tool for two days more than the cost of buying oen, and I've lent it out a few times, and people have insisted on handing over a fiver or a tenner, even if I protest its free to use, so it has paid for itself, and earned a few favours.
nigel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 09:15   #28

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
I agree , but if you are installing any thing where you have to re-cable it is very hard to have someone make you up cables when you are measuring as you go along .

So this is really a refit tool, not one that you would normally have. But it pays for itself in about 2 or three cables , plus you can help out your buddies if they need crimps .

Regards
I can well see that point. I guess I was short sited since I've always been able to find industrial type suppliers for that and making an occasional 00 crimp. If needing a no. I can see the need. I always have been a believer in, if you need a tool buy it, but that was having lots of space on the hill.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 10:47   #29

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

The one I bought from Harbor Freight was 16 ton, has 10 dies, was $35.00, works like a dream.
You can over crimp though so watch that.
Also if you want a dimple to help with the physical bond, just tape a hardened screw to the die before crimping.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2014, 10:59   #30

Boat: 1979 Mariner Ketch 32-Hull 202

Soldering in general especially on large guage battery cable is a no no.
Several reasons.
Here's is two.

1 Hardening of the stranded wire, leaves a hard spot that can break.
2 Corrosion starts the second you use solder, heat opens the structure in the metal and allows oxidation, corrosion begins.
Smaller guage wire can be soldered, how ever, crimp then solder, always use heat shrink.
Boatyarddog is offline   Reply With Quote