Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 13:54   #1

Boat: Hudson CC 51
Question Ham/Ferris Wind Gen. rotor/prop change out

Hi Cruisers, I just joined this forum and it looks pretty good so far. A lot of knowledgable old salts here and I'd like to get some feedback from you.

I have had a Hamilton Ferris wind gen. on my 35' Coronado for about 10 years. Their Prop/rotors are made of Balsa wood and require replacement about every 3yrs with minimal use, less if a drunken seagual plays chicken with it. I've nursed my last one along for this period but with the cracks and rot progressing it's time to replace it, again. New price
$299 + shipping and I'm told it's going up soon.
I think it's time for an different type rotor for this system and was wondering if anybody has tried different rotors on a generator simular to ferris , fourwinds, or windbugger systems. I am looking at a 3 carbon fiber blade prop simular to Air X that I like but Air X has a micro chip controler and I was wondering it it had enough startup torque to get a ferriss 200 going and producing with those skinny blades. The vender says he doesn't know.
Any info to steer my on to the right course would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Capt.Rick
Rick Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote