Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2016, 05:58   #1

Heating

Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone has seen hard wired baseboard hot water heat on a boat? Any thoughts on that? Would it be too much on the electric in the dead of winter? Do you think it would keep the boat warm enough to not bust a water line? I'm looking at 50 foot motoryachts.
Thanks! :-)
Old 25-07-2016, 06:14   #2

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21
Re: Heating

You can use heat tape, on the pipes, and a block heater on the motor.
How dependable, is your electric source.?
What is your back up plan.?

Will ice be, forming around your hull.? How will you handle that.? Heat rises and will do nothing for anything that's three to six inches beneath it.

How often will you return to inspect for damage.?

Just a few issues of life on ice.

Still surrounded by anchors.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 06:19   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

You can purchase bilge heaters for power boats. Typically they do not overload the power system. To be fully functional it may be necessary to plug up the ventilation openings so cold air does not blow through the boat. How cold does it get for how long in MD?

The "safest" solution is to winterized the plumbing by putting antifreeze in all water lines.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 06:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

For an electric solution, I'm a fan of these things, cause they can't tip over and catch fire or catch close by fabric on fire.
https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_2kdk5lp1bp_b
Do not trust your life to a tip over switch.
However I am certain that a proper Diesel fired Marine heater is the best solution just based on what I read here.
There are many threads on how to live in Winter, I assume you mean live aboard and not just keep the boat in the water while you stay in your house?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:13   #5

Thank you all!
I should have been more clear I think. I am planning on living aboard at my marina in MD. I have done it in the past but this time I don't want to winterize everything. I need to have running water, however, I can winter the engines (unless I choose diesel heat). I will need something in the engine room for the generator, I was thinking one hardwired hot water heater- like the cabins. I would probably do propane or diesel heat as a back up. Or plug-in electric. I can winterize extremity type lines to the bridge and such. There are bubblers in my marina so ice around the hull is not an issue. And it doesn't freeze for that long in MD usually. The worst of it is mid January to late Feb. It's only 6-8 weeks that I really need to worry. But I am concerned about over running my electric on such a large boat. It's reliable at the marina, but I don't want to blow it. I did that once or twice on my old boat with plug in heat. I know how to balance and turn other things off, I was just hoping for thoughts and possible alternatives. I saw baseboard hot water installed on a large expensive boat once and I wondered if anyone had had experience with it.
Old 25-07-2016, 07:19   #6

Boat: Bristol 45.5

If you want to heat a 50 Motoryacht you are going to need some serious power and BTU .

I heat with a Webast 2010 which is 45000 BTUs you will need double that , Lots of windows in motor yachts .

It really is a big install with many many variables.

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 07:28   #7

I'm confused. Baseboard hot water? OK, what makes the hot water?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 17:13   #8

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

I believe it's baseboard radiant heat, produced from hot water circulation through the baseboard low mount units.
Yes, it can be done and the lines will need to be routed over bulk heads, then back to the lowest point in the bilge.
I would have aluminum fins attached to all heated lines, at the lowest points and insulate every line above the lowest point.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 17:31   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

For living aboard it's hard to beat diesel hydronic systems. As noted, you'll be in the 80K BTU area. You can winterize engines, gensets, AC units, and outside water fixtures assuming your boat is properly isolated in that area. One great advantage of heating with fuel oil is that it helps you use up old fuel each year. We heat our 60' sailboat with a single Webasto 2010. We are VERY well insulated... motor yachts such as yours (I'm the captain of both a CC 500 and a Hatt 60) will need twice that to heat the entire boat. Lot's of good contractors who do this kind of work on the bay but you can do it yourself. Forced air is much better than radiant.
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 17:31   #10

You are talking home style baseboard heat right? Too much draw I would guess. If you are talking for heating likely the most available space would be on the front of settees, but there they will burn your ankles.
But not sure what your question actually is. To keep from freezing? or to heat the boat? There are simple cheap devices to keep from freezing.
My 44 had hot water baseboard heater radiators. I removed them immediately, so not sure. I don't think the installation was ever finished.... there was no heating source for the water.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 17:36   #11

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Hi from Canada.

I can't tell if you are asking about a single baseboard style heater that contains a liquid (antifreeze or oil ) & is powered by AC (usually 240VAC)but available in 1500watt 120VAC.http://www.homedepot.com/b/Heating-V...vZc4lhZ1z0wayi

or-a full baseboard radiator system throughout the vessel that is fed antifreezed water via a domestic style oil(diesel) fired boiler.

Both are used in cold climates.

The 120VAC oil or antifreeze filled single heaters are readily available from Home Depot,etc.

The "full monte" complete vessel system is a bit more complicated & expensive.
Products - Residential

http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...d-heaters-work

Cheers/ Len
Old 25-07-2016, 20:11   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrieGrande View Post
Hi all,
I'm wondering if anyone has seen hard wired baseboard hot water heat on a boat? Any thoughts on that? Would it be too much on the electric in the dead of winter? Do you think it would keep the boat warm enough to not bust a water line? I'm looking at 50 foot motoryachts.

espar / Webasto / full boat heaters...
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 20:34   #13

Boat: Valiant 42

Boat safe heaters are designed for prevention of freezing in engine compartments. I think this is your best option for your generator. Google boat safe heater...
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2016, 21:03   #14

Base board hot water like in a house. It's radiant heat like an old time radiator, but it would be electric. The water heats with a heating source powered by electricity. I am thinking as I read responses that it would in fact draw to much and forced air is better.
:-)
Old 25-07-2016, 21:06   #15

Thank you so much, this is very helpful! I was concerned about diesel heat and safety, but so many people have said it's the safest so I think I may head in that direction. :-)

Tags
heating