Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2016, 22:43   #1

Boat: Wright 40 - 1977 build, ketch, 12 mts
Heller fans slowing to a stop!

Hi, hope I'm in the right place!
I have some heller 12v fans on board and a few have suddenly stopped working. The thing is that if I apply a little bit of pressure at the back of the blades, they will go again, too much pressure and they stop.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if anyone knows what I can do to fix them please. Throwing away and buying new are not an option for me. I need a fix.

Thanks for your help
Gillie,
S y Tuppenny, Malaysia
S Y Tuppenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 23:29   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Heller fans slowing to a stop!

Contact Us - Hella Marine
Old 09-11-2016, 00:03   #3

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

From a distance, this tradesman suspects voltage drop. If it were only one fan the it could be anything.
My suspicion is that the fan furthest from the supply failed first.
Use a multimeter to check voltage and the check for resistance in the earth return.
Irrespective of the distance the earth wire from the unit back to earth must have absolute continuity, virtully no resistance.
But i susp voltage drop in the joints (which I always solder)....or very little voltage even at switch on your switchboard.
If you dont have a multimeter, they're cheap, come with instructions and solve many many problems.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 00:07   #4

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Forgot.... very ofter older wire, especiall untinned wire, just corrodes away to a spaghetti of copper oxide which just ain't wire anymore...just brown powder in a pvc tube.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:37   #5

Boat: Kadey Krogen 38

Heller fans wear out after about 2000 hours and are trash at that point
KadeyKrogen38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 08:39   #6

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

I've experienced similar problems with several fans. Though not Heller, my guess is a good cleaning and a bit of light lube oil applied to the shaft may get them working. In my case, I removed the protective covers and cleaned the blades and motor housing with a soft brush to remove the accumulated dust. Then applied a drop of light lube oil to the shaft at the motor housing. And they worked like new.

Hope this helps.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:15   #7

Boat: 28 bristol channel cutter

have had these for years...when they get old the internal components in the motor wear out...sorry mate there is no fix it's new fan time!
doug cusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:19   #8

Boat: Formosa 41

So, I can safely assume we are not going to be talking about DC v. Heller?
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:31   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post
I've experienced similar problems with several fans. Though not Heller, my guess is a good cleaning and a bit of light lube oil applied to the shaft may get them working. In my case, I removed the protective covers and cleaned the blades and motor housing with a soft brush to remove the accumulated dust. Then applied a drop of light lube oil to the shaft at the motor housing. And they worked like new.

Hope this helps.
This is worth trying. Though inspect around their hubs with the blades off, prior to starting anything along these lines. And BTW, have you tried seeing if they'll spin without the blades on the hubs? Never hurts to inspect them nekked too.

Often, over time, bits of dust get compacted around the motors' axle where it exits, & it binds things up a bit. Along with causing wear in said location. Even to the point of penetrating sealed bearings & motors, or if not penetrating them, then gumming them up.

So after cleaning this area, I'd try some ("dry") graphite lube first. With machine oil being the #2 choice. Since dry lubes won't attract more dust & garbage to the area like an oil might. Just use caution when cleaning, as things like dental picks, which have sharp tips, can at times damage things with tight tolerances, & especially, seals.

On many things, I've used brake cleaner with the straw attached to the can to blast gunk out of things. But it too is a risk, as it has some strong solvents, which (rarely) can attack plastics, rubber, or some seals materials. It's generally handy stuff though. And it degreases too.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 12:38   #10

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

One possibility is that the thrust washer or surface has worn out. Not sure if you can get to it to fix it or not. If not some light lubricant on the face might help short term. But if the armature can move further back because of wear and is now in contact with another part or is no longer in good contact with the poles or brushes somehow you need to move the armature back by packing out the thrust face.
Old 10-11-2016, 06:49   #11

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seighlor View Post

Hope this helps.
This is worth a try. There should be a bearing at each end of the motor so try to oil both. Cleaning before oiling is the best plan. And you want light oil, not motor oil.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:17   #12

Boat: Solaris Sunrise 36 Catamaran

Is your fan the single speed Hella with a dome-shaped switch on the front?

Bill
GalleyHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 17:55   #13

Boat: Wright 40 - 1977 build, ketch, 12 mts

not sure what you mean tbh! but thanks anyway
S Y Tuppenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 19:39   #14

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

S Y Tupenny,

Tbh, I don't have a clue what you mean, either! It might help if you mentioned the person's screen name or even the post number.

The general idea is as follows:

Demount one of the fans. Remove the blades from the output shaft. Visually check to see that the area by the bearing (inner visible end of shaft) doesn't have dust, hair, or anything else spun onto it. Clear it, (a dental pick is great for this, if you have an appropriate one)* and clean it with meths. Place one or two drops light machine oil on the base of the shaft by the bearing, and hand spin the shaft to spread the oil. Me, I'd use sewing machine oil, 'cause that's what I have. Clean all the exterior bits, and give it a go.

* We are tool using animals, possibly you can make a probe from a paper clip, or a round toothpick.

It is always possible that they have worn out, and it's a real pain to re-brush the motors, although for a while, years ago, slot car drive motors were being used for the purpose in the cruising fleet. If worn out, you can replace with Caframo, which are not nearly as difficult to keep clean.

Try with each of the fans, because generally some of them get more use than others, and will be farther along their self-destruct path.

Now, since you're de-mounting them, go back and re-read brianlara3's posts about dealing with the possibility of the wiring starting to fail. Wire failure is common on boats.. Check the wire, before you go to tighten it, make sure it's pretty much intact.

You can do this.

Ann
Old 12-11-2016, 19:51   #15

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

I REALLY like these. Quiet, move lots of air and have liquid bearings:

Arctic Cooling F12 120mm 1350 RPM Fan AFACO-12000-GBA01 | eBay

Hall effect sensor instead of brushes, so nothing to wear out.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote