Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2012, 09:06   #31

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
You're in Australia where any idiot can get paid good dollars.
These guys are in the US where the economy has turned to **** and they have 8% + unemployment and $7 minimum wage.
Last time I looked, Georgian Bay is still in Canada...we didn't win the war of 1812 for nothing.
Captivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:10   #32

Re: HELP!! I'm being taken to the cleaners!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
You got reasons to not do it yourself? So then suck it up and get in the experts!

Alternatively, wait until you are ready to sail / cruise and then DIY.

As an example (which may not applyto you, but you never know...), we bought our boat (just like you,) then bought a few more gadgets, various pieces of equipment and electronic toys, loaded them onboard, headed off to the Bahamas, found a nice island and then quietly spent a few days installing most of them. Over the following months, we headed down the island chain and installed the rest of them ourselves at suitable locations (desert island, sandy beach, fresh free seafood etc).

To finally get to the point, what is the rush?? The boat has sails and a rudder, so just GO! Sort out the finer details later.
First of all, thanks for all the replies, most people are quite close with regards to hours involved. Guess I'm suffering sticker shock though. The "rush" is that our season up here is very short. We try to do as much as quickly as the weather allows. I'd rather be sailing than working on the boat. Remember, I'm in the Great White North.
Bigman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:13   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Some of you guys are WAYYYYYY off. Unless the tech is doing it under the table...it's easily $100/hr times 3, 8 hour days. I would say more like $2400....EASY!!!!

I know I used to install, sell for a marine electronics businesss. An because most of them have gone out of business around here...even that price can barely sustain a really partial season, cut throat business.

And for the guys who get the "under the table" guys to install...good luck finding that guy when something doesn't work when you really need him!!!!
This response is the closest. Thanks. I am feeling a bit better now.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:15   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
A minimum wage laborer is someone you'd pay less if it weren't illegal. That's not someone who would likely do a competent job installing those systems, which requires some skill and knowledge about marine electrical systems. Done wrong, it could start a boat fire. It's also what you would pay an employee, not a business who is contracting services to you.

The OP said he has a quote from a "tech at the marina". I don't know about Canadian rates, but here in the US Northeast, the "yard rate" for general labor is ~$85-120/hour. Maybe even higher for the electronics "tech" or a mechanic.
Absolutely correct. Professional certified installer=$100.per/h up here.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:17   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman99 View Post
First of all, thanks for all the replies, most people are quite close with regards to hours involved. Guess I'm suffering sticker shock though. The "rush" is that our season up here is very short. We try to do as much as quickly as the weather allows. I'd rather be sailing than working on the boat. Remember, I'm in the Great White North.
I can understand the sticker shock. If you haven't had boat work done in a while it can be quite surprising what it can cost.

I second the suggestion to just go sailing. You have a boat, sails, engine (I assume) and basic amenities. All that other stuff is gravy. If you feel rusty in your DR skills get a $200 hand held GPS and some paper charts and just go sailing. Then take your time and install all the pretty toys at your convenience. Will give you something to do over the long, cold, dark, freezing, no boating, out of the water winter (did I say cold). Just have to put in enough heat to keep your fingers from freezing while you work.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:23   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
I imagine it's just a chap who got a quote he didn't like, and decided he would get some evidence (informal quotes) to show the company that he is being over quoted. Sorely disappointed that he didn't get what he wanted, he probably has no reason to come back and thank us!!!
Wow, easy there. I wrote the post late last night and only got back to my computer at lunch today. How quickly am I expected to respond?

Oh, and thanks again btw. And I was only asking for piece of mind. I fully intend to have the work done by my marina and use the professional who quoted me. Yes, I was shocked by the initial quote and came here for advice. Actually been here for month but this is the first good reason I had to post a question. I wasn't expecting such a quick reply. You guys are very fast. My apologies.
Old 23-03-2012, 09:25   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigman99 View Post
Wow, easy there. I wrote the post late last night and only got back to my computer at lunch today. How quickly am I expected to respond?

Oh, and thanks again btw. And I was only asking for piece of mind. I fully intend to have the work done by my marina and use the professional who quoted me. Yes, I was shocked by the initial quote and came here for advice. Actually been here for month but this is the first good reason I had to post a question. I wasn't expecting such a quick reply. You guys are very fast. My apologies.
What was the quote then ?????????
MarkSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:28   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Captivy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:37   #39

The quote was 40 hours@$100.00 per hour. It wasn't the hourly rate that freaked me out it was the hours. And thanks for the welcome
Old 23-03-2012, 09:41   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
....loaded them onboard, headed off to the Bahamas, found a nice island and then quietly spent a few days installing most of them. .... what is the rush?? The boat has sails and a rudder, so just GO! Sort out the finer details later.
DING DING DING. Folks we have a winner! Best post of the year!
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:42   #41

At 40 hours, he may eat some time. On the other hand, if he's an independent, then $100 per hour seems high to me. SWAG maybe as high as 60-70 hours. A lot is unknown. I assume if there is no VHF, then no antenna on top of the mast. Is there a messenger in the mast? On a cat it's likely extension cables etc will be needed for some stuff. Does the AP quadrant fit your rudder shaft? Are there open breakers on the elect panel available? Are they the right amperage? etc etc....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 09:55   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
At 40 hours, he may eat some time. On the other hand, if he's an independent, then $100 per hour seems high to me. SWAG maybe as high as 60-70 hours. A lot is unknown. I assume if there is no VHF, then no antenna on top of the mast. Is there a messenger in the mast? On a cat it's likely extension cables etc will be needed for some stuff. Does the AP quadrant fit your rudder shaft? Are there open breakers on the elect panel available? Are they the right amperage? etc etc....
40 hours the tech absolutely could eat some time. If he or she does a professional installation, runs all the wires inside the pedestal, in channels, properly wrapped and secured, solid crimps on all the ends. I would probably spend twice that time but then it would be perfect when I finished

On the other hand, if the job is done quick and dirty, 40 hours at $100 per is too much.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 10:05   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac

40 hours the tech absolutely could eat some time. If he or she does a professional installation, runs all the wires inside the pedestal, in channels, properly wrapped and secured, solid crimps on all the ends. I would probably spend twice that time but then it would be perfect when I finished

On the other hand, if the job is done quick and dirty, 40 hours at $100 per is too much.
Nah the guys a pro. I am expecting nothing but a perfect job. He is not an independent. Like I said earlier, perhaps I was suffering some sticker shock and it has been a while since I had extensive work done on a boat. I am happy to pay his rate for a great job, I just needed some reinforcement about the time involved.
Old 23-03-2012, 10:09   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako
Not an independent

There is an existing VHF being replaced by the new one. Antennae already on the mast.

Raymarine X5 wheel pilot. No rudder sensor required.

There are three open breakers in the panel. And yes about the amps.

Thanks
Old 23-03-2012, 10:12   #45

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
My guess, with easy cable routing, is 25 hours @ $75 per, so around $1875.00, but that is dated. How close was I?

Things like crimping all connectors and soldering (remember, marine use), shrink tubing and the $350 crimping tool needed to handle the inverters DC input cables, well it is time tedious if done right for the salt air it will be exposed to.
$4000, this is why I don't gamble, I lost this game of guessing the amount. Being off by a smidge over a factor of 2 makes me feel rather out of it. I'll bet Bigman99 would have gladly accepted the $1875 figure I pulled out of my tail pipe.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote