Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2016, 08:06   #1

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons
help! Inverter charger not inverting or charging.

I have a 36 month old 3000 Victron inverter charger. I hauled my boat into the yard for maintenance where shes been for 6 months. Last week, I switched my inverter / charger unit onto charge to replenish my largely unsused batteries. However, the unit will not charge. I tried the inverter but also to no avail. Two things have changed. 1. The poer is now plugged into the yard and not into my mooring. 2. I removed my solar panels which I will repalace in a few weeks time. The inverter display shows a flashing "temperature" LED but, from what I can recall, I think its always done that. The mains LED also flashes. The manual says that a flashing temp LED indicates that the internal temperature is reaching a critical level. The ambient temp today is much cooler at around 72 F / 22 C. I replaced my solar panels but that hasnt helped. Could it be that the inverter fan isnt switching on? Is the shore power a problem? Any other suggestions on what I can do or look for? Thanks so much.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 08:49   #2
Eternal Member

Re: help! Inverter charger not inverting or charging.

First place to start is to measure the battery voltage at the battey terminals, using a reliable digital voltmeter.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 11:32   #3

Boat: islandpacket

Alot of chargers wont charge if the battery voltage is below a certain point. Your battery is probably to low.
Old 11-12-2016, 13:08   #4

Agree with both the previous. Depending on the age of the battery it may have built up sulfur (known issue with LA's, not certain with Gel's, believe so).

My feel is it has drained down too low.

If borrowing anothers 'wall wort' and that doesn't do the trick.. Replace them.

I'd also test the output from your charger to ensure it's working properly.

Just my 2 cents.
Olddawgsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:37   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

I had a similar issue three years ago.

With the charger active measure the voltage at the output terminals. If it us above 13 volts the charger is working.

In my case the terminal on the buss bar was burnt and this did allow the charger to sense the battery voltage

Check all terminals and measure the voltage at each one
Be sure it is equal other wise the charger doesn't work well or at all.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 09:57   #6

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
I have a 36 month old 3000 Victron inverter charger. I hauled my boat into the yard for maintenance where shes been for 6 months. Last week, I switched my inverter / charger unit onto charge to replenish my largely unsused batteries. However, the unit will not charge. I tried the inverter but also to no avail. Two things have changed. 1. The poer is now plugged into the yard and not into my mooring. 2. I removed my solar panels which I will repalace in a few weeks time. The inverter display shows a flashing "temperature" LED but, from what I can recall, I think its always done that. The mains LED also flashes. The manual says that a flashing temp LED indicates that the internal temperature is reaching a critical level. The ambient temp today is much cooler at around 72 F / 22 C. I replaced my solar panels but that hasnt helped. Could it be that the inverter fan isnt switching on? Is the shore power a problem? Any other suggestions on what I can do or look for? Thanks so much.
My guess is the fan hasn't been working if you have been experiencing the flashing temp. LED. Something electronic probably cooked. I'd check for a dealer not a shade tree electronics tech..
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:17   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Perhaps someone else mentioned this and I missed it, but if not, yes you should also check the power coming from the boat yard. Are the outlets in the boat working? Can you plug in a power tool and it will run at full power?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:28   #8

Boat: Casacde 36

6 mths in yard? Batteries got water? check voltage too. Inverter / charger manual should detail "reset procedure". I have to do after longer haul outs.
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:41   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01kiwijohn View Post
6 mths in yard? Batteries got water? check voltage too. Inverter / charger manual should detail "reset procedure". I have to do after longer haul outs.
I would think water and supply voltage would be a given? You never can tell?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 10:52   #10

Boat: Nauticat 43

Do you have a temperature sensor on one of the batteries? If so, the unit may not be charging if it thinks the battery temperature is high. Charging a battery increases its temperature. The unit may be trying to prevent damage based on the sensor reading. Since you haven't been charging the batteries, likely the battery temperature is fine. You should determine the reason why the sensor is reading high and fix the problem. When you correct that, the unit should charge the batteries.
Ded reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 11:26   #11

Boat: Island Packet 445

We have the same Victron unit. When our temperature alarm was going off it turned out to be a bad temp sensor. I'd suggest replacing the temp sensor and seeing if that works. You might also check to see that you have the latest software update from Victron which I believe you can update into the invertor/charger from your laptop.
Old 14-12-2016, 10:02   #12

Hi Folks. The batteries were all installed in Jan 2014. They are lead crystal, deep cycle sealed batteries with a ten year life expectancy. We did test the batteries. They read 12.7 so are fine. That was a relief. The shore power supply has been operating numerous power tools for many months and the power did run appliances off the boat. A temp sensor was connected to the batteries. We reoved it and placed it into a glass with ice. It didnt help the flashing temp and no inverter or no charge problem. However, it is possible that the unit has an internal temp sensor which I havnt traced as I dont know where it is located. Can anyone advise where I can start looking? Can anyone advise how I go about resetting the unit. We did switch it on and off repeatedly, without success. The only LED's flashing are the "mains on" and "temperature." They flash out of synch which Ive read is a code on the fault but cant obtain the detail thereof. Can anyone advise . The comments have been meaningful and are appreciated. Any other comments, advice on what else to look for will be most appreciated.
Thank you.
Old 14-12-2016, 13:45   #13

I found this for you. He seems to have had the same issue.

"It was the voltage "sensor" cable in my case. According to my voltmeter it was losing ~0.5v between the battery terminal and charger. I assume the charger tried to compensate and went into fault condition. When disconnected charger seems to ignore it. No information in my manual about this. "

I do wish I had found a schematic of your unit to see exactly where this is.

The statement is that the Temp led was flashing, but couldn't find an over-heat. This was his issue.
Olddawgsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2016, 13:53   #14

Boat: islandpacket

Just because the voltage is ok, doesn't mean it can handle a load. Take them to a battery shop to be tested. I had a simular problem and had the batteries tested individually under a load tester and found it in 2 seconds. I had charged all individually tested voltage charged and resting and all voltages were good. The load tester showed the problem. Internal short. New battery fixed problem.
Old 18-12-2016, 06:43   #15

Thanks so much for the replies. I will persue all the suggestions made. Ive also emailed Victron and await etheir reply.

Tags
charger, charging, inverter