Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2017, 20:37   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Help me find this electrical device . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Sorry to be flip. If everything is set up properly you may go years without ever needing to jump start off House.

No need to use Combine in any case, just switch the starter to House alone instead.
The switch that Bleemus has doesn't allow using the house battery for starting (or start battery for house loads) without combining. It is called a Dual Circuit switch and is really 2 on/off switches in one with a combine position.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 20:59   #17

Boat: Lagoon 400

Try this Blue Seas device with Automatic Charging Relay and automatically provided under voltage lockout. As per the vendor information:

120 Amp Starting Isolation, Automatic Charging Relay (SI ACR)
Automatically combines batteries during charging, isolates batteries during engine cranking and when not charging.
Allows temporary isolation of house loads from engine circuit during engine cranking to protect sensitive electronics.
Supports high-output alternators up to 120 Amps.
Ignition protected: safe for installation aboard gasoline powered boats.
Under voltage lockout: will not close when the lower battery is below 10.8V at 12V operation or 21.6V at 24V operation.
At the Web page click on the reference and wiring schematic pages as they provide extensive detail of how to install and use.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/765...ery_Kit_-_120A
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 21:02   #18
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGreyB View Post
Try this Blues Seas device with Automatic Charging Relay and automatically provided under voltage lockout:
As per the vendor information:

120 Amp Starting Isolation, Automatic Charging Relay (SI ACR)
Automatically combines batteries during charging, isolates batteries during engine cranking and when not charging.
Allows temporary isolation of house loads from engine circuit during engine cranking to protect sensitive electronics.
Supports high-output alternators up to 120 Amps.
Ignition protected: safe for installation aboard gasoline powered boats.
Under voltage lockout: will not close when the lower battery is below 10.8V at 12V operation or 21.6V at 24V operation. At the Web page click on the reference and wiring schematic pages as they provide extensive detail of how to install and use.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/765...ery_Kit_-_120A
That is what he has! It doesn't solve the problem of avoiding combining batteries when the start battery is dead.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 22:16   #19
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
The switch that Bleemus has doesn't allow using the house battery for starting (or start battery for house loads) without combining. It is called a Dual Circuit switch and is really 2 on/off switches in one with a combine position.
Yes, obviously I meant replace the switch that doesn't meet your needs with those that do.

There are so many ways to accomplish this. Have a look at some of these layouts.

http://www.bepmarine.com/en/products...nsing%20relays

There's a lot to be learned from this discussion, especially from those questioning my unorthodox ideas.

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...2#post-1347024

The "canonical" thread is referenced in the top of that discussion.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 23:08   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
So it does exist! Thank you. I will try to hunt them down. I have friends that borrow my boat on occasion and want to make it as dummy proof as possible. They are competent sailors but we all make mistakes.
The problem would be finding one rated for 300+ amps. To start through.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:57   #21

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Thank you all for your thoughts. I have decided to install two Blue Sea simple On Off switches. One in each positive battery line. I will be instructing my guests on looking at the battery monitor and never using Combine without calling me first.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical