Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2021, 12:43   #1

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Help needed inverter and batteries

Just got our first sailboat, 2013 Jeanneau 409 and other than trying to pay attention at the survey to everything, just got handed the keys and that was about it. Owner wasn't involved in sale and broker was not knowledgeable to answer any questions or give us the run down on how stuff works on the boat.

Just prior to the survey, the owner realized the magnum inverter fried house batteries. At his expense, replaced it with a Victron Mulitplus compact 12|2000 inverter, cerbex gx and display and new 5 new wet batteries.

We have been sailing/motoring from PNW back to BC the last week, able to plug in at marinas at night. The batteries get charged while motoring but overnight, will drop down to 75% while we are plugged into shore power.

I am trying to figure out how all this works but in my mind, while plugged into shore power, I would think that the batteries recharge?

When we arrived yesterday, batteries were at 100%, we have diesel Webasto heater running 24/7 on low and a couple space heaters plugged into AC outlets when connected to power. other that that, fridge and LED house lights.

currently display says
battery 77% discharging 87w 13.4v -6.5A
AC Input 1599W AC Loads 1494W
DC System 183W from battery

The victron unit is switched to ON (other options OFF or Charge Only) and yellow light is flashing on charge.

if we fire up Diesel engine, it will charge back to 100% in an hour or so.

I am so new to all this, any help would be appreciated. Having a mouthfeels Everest learning curve the last week. lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	victron2.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	416.2 KB
ID:	250596   Click image for larger version

Name:	victron1.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	250597  

bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 12:53   #2

Re: Help needed inverter and batteries

i recommend you read the manual for the I/C.
It appears you have not turned the charger on when you're plugged in.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 13:18   #3

I have read the manual but not sure i understand it, it os the English one, i diuble checked ��
Old 31-12-2021, 13:20   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i

Reread your original post and deleted my reply. Didn't apply.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 13:40   #5

The manual says the following: Same question, is the charger on? It sounds like you have the inverter on and need to turn the charger on.

3.OPERATION
3.1 On/Off/Charger Only Switch
When switched to "on", the product is fully functional. The inverter will come into
operation and the LED "inverter on" will light up.
An AC voltageconnected to the "AC in" terminal will be switched through to the
"AC out" terminal, if within specifications. The inverter will switch off, the "mains
on" LED will light up and the charger commences charging. The "bulk",
"absorption" or "float" LEDs willlight up, depending on the charger mode.
If the voltage at the "AC-in" terminal is not within specifacations, the inverter will
switch on.
When the switch is switched to "charger only", only thebattery charger of the Phoenix Multi
will operate (if mains voltage is present). In this mode input voltage also is switched through
to the "AC out" terminal.
NOTE: When only the charger function is required, ensure that the switch is switched to
"chargeronly". This prevents the inverter from being switched on ifthe mains voltage is lost,
thus preventing your batteries from running flat.

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 14:09   #6

The charger is on. It’s in storage mode. (Bulk, absorb, float, storage). 13.4v is above a full battery. The % meter is wrong. Victron storage mode is 13.2v. So it’s not charging because the battery voltage is already higher then the charger voltage. Once batteries drop under 13.2v it will start charging again. But at both those points the batteries are at 100% still.

If you turn the switch to off (on the inverter itself not the screen). For a few miniutes and then back on. That should force it to restart in bulk mode.

In the future leave this switch on. And change from on to charge only using the screen. When the inverter is not needed you should turn it off (charge only) to save power. Or if leaving the boat unattended while plugged in. You don’t want the inverter to turn on if the shore power goes out, killing the batteries.

You need to see if the battery monitor is a real monitor. (Smart shunt or bvm). Or if the inverter is faking it. In the menu you’ll have. - multiplus, Settings, notifications. Hopefully you have a 4th one for shunt. If so check it’s settings for the battery size. If no shunt turn off the battery monitor function it’ll be useless. And go buy a smart shunt to plug into the cerbo. Also turn off the “has dc system” either way it’s useless.

Also look out for the shore power size setting and make sure it’s correct. If you are running heaters and overpowering the shore the charger will not charge if no ac power is left.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:00   #7

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

Heaters may be consuming more than the "fair share" current. That is, when the a/c load is above a certain point, the charger turns off to direct the available power to the a/c mains.

I suggest you shiver thru a few hours with as little a/c load as you can accommodate and see if the charger goes on.

One trick I do is to attach an inexpensive multimeter to the dc mains with the shore power not connected. Connect the shore power and see how much the dc voltage climbs. Just reducing the inverter load should take the voltage up a bit - when the charger kicks in the voltage should go higher still. Do this with as little a/c load turned on as possible and slowly add a/c load (one heater at a time, fridge and so on) and see if the dc voltage drops. If it does, it is likely the inverter is shedding charging load to deliver power to the a/c mains.

There is a power share adjustment - but I can't find it right now. If the dc voltage climbs when the dc load is reduced, we can look for the power share together.

Is you boat 30A or 50A?
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 12:02   #8

Boat: 1998 Rosborough 246 LSV

From the manual:

"Unique PowerAssist feature
The MultiPlus will prevent overload of a limited AC source, such as a generator or shore power connection. First, battery charging will automatically be reduced when otherwise an overload would occur. The second level will boost the output of a generator or shore side supply with power taken from the battery."
captstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 13:29   #9

Boat: Houseboat, 60ft.

I looked into Victron some time ago. I worked out there is a difference between a Multiplus & a Pheonix Multi.
I got so confused & a perceived lack of assistance in our country I went with another company.
BruceS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 13:51   #10

I finally got a hold of the electrician that installed it. He said that he quickly put it in and got it working but didn't optimize it. he said that the victron don't do smart learning like a magnum and that I will need to go in with the app to set up things for the screen. He said that is it charging when needed but if it is showing 75% and battery voltage is 13.4v then it won't be charging at all as the battery is full. there is a setting with the app that I can reset to show that the battery is full. He also talked about removing the shunt from the cerbex gx as it may need to be reset. can't quite recall what he said but helped me get a better understanding of the system so that now when I read about it I understand it a bit more.

I did see that power assist feature but don't think that is going, regardless of ac load I have on whether 2 space heaters or all ac off, it doesn't impact the DC load.

He said that things like fridge and diesel will only take DC power so if they are on, there is always a DC discharge for those things and when the battery gets lower, the inverter will kick in and charge as necessary. When we start engines, display shows battery is 100% charged in like 15 minutes so there is no way that my normal alternator is doing 25% recharge in that amount of time. comes back to the calibration of the monitor.

Downloaded the app and will get in there but may wait until we get back to our home port as I don't want to muck anything up while facing sub zero temps and after a week underway, at least can manage as is.

I really appreciate all the help in your responses. Love this community and overwhelmed by the help on various questions issues that have come up. Being a boat owner all of 8 days now, it has made all the difference.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	akisame_9469.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	250627  
Old 01-01-2022, 15:20   #11

Boat: CD25

Nice boat and looks good in the snow!
Good luck
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 15:34   #12

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Don’t think anyone suggested disconnecting the cable from batts and directly measuring batt voltage. If I had any concern about my battery level this is where I would start.
Old 01-01-2022, 16:39   #13

Boat: CD25

5 new wet batteries maybe 1 could be bad.
Would you have to disconnect them?
Peter1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2022, 18:15   #14

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter1949 View Post
5 new wet batteries maybe 1 could be bad.
Would you have to disconnect them?

Yes if you want to find out which one is bad.
Old 01-01-2022, 18:24   #15

Once we get to home port will check that out. I want to replace with AJM as well. These arent really able to be ventilated and was recommended by survey.

Tags
batteries, inverter