Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2024, 14:20   #16
00X

Re: Help with Inverter Wiring Diagram

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
This is what Victron's manual says:
2. DESCRIPTION
2.1 In general
The basis of the MultiPlus is an extremely powerful sine inverter, battery charger and automatic switch in a compact casing

You ordered a COMBINED inverter charger, instead of just an inverter.

What you bought ALREADY has an automatic transfer switch built right into it, so you do NOT need and shouldn't use your switch. If you buy just an inverter, you WOULD need a transfer switch.

For your combined I/C, power comes TO the I/C before it goes to the AC panel, because the I/C is just one of two sources of power TO the AC panel and because it has its own ATS (automatic transfer switch) the shorepower goes through the I/C when shorepower is available, and uses the I when shorepower is absent.

You must already have the manual, right?
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...xxx4xx)-EN.pdf

Appendix B Block diagram shows how to for your single unit.
i have read them several times. thank you. i think i am approaching this in a way where i am trying to force the multiplus into a role suited for the phoenix. we really just wanted a simple inverter for occasional use away from the dock. i am so mad i ordered the wrong unit. as i replied to a post below that i think we will exchange it for the phoenix. that restocking fee will be a little painful but i guess that is just how it goes. i will post another diagram soon for the phoenix when i have more time and my other half is back from camping.
00X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 14:23   #17
00X

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
No, that isn’t correct. Attached is my reference diagram for a simple installation. It has an isolation transformer that you can replace with a galvanic isolator (but reduced safety and features) but the Multiplus replaces the rotary switch (it has an internal transfer switch).

Edit: also, isn’t the ELCI supposed to be between inlet and whatever comes first?! (when using an isolation transformer the ELCI may be replaced with a regular double pole breaker like in my diagram.)
thank you sv/jedi. this was helpful. i can not answer your question about the elci. this was the drawing i was given of how i believe our setup is done. my job was to do the wiring for the panels. i did not help with that portion. i will ask and see why we did it this way. i know previously we had a 2-pole breaker that was tucked into the lazarette just after the shore power inlet. we probably just copied the way it was done before. the elci we added. our boat did not come with elci.
Old 27-01-2024, 14:33   #18
00X

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCringle View Post
Jedi is the Jedi on these, especially Victron. But the Victron you have is smart enough to know when AC shore is coming in. In simple terms for the AC side, you could go direct from shore to inverter IN to Inv OUT to AC bus. The Victron will either bypass and go to your AC bus, or match shore volts and freqs to augment using its inverter, if necessary. Its also smart enough to know it cant be inverting on battery and have the charger running. But it can immediately go to inverter mode if the shore is cut off for uninterrupted AC. Its pretty nice. You do need some cut-off switches, as Jedi suggested. From there you can make it as complicated as you want.

Not sure how much of a tinkerer you are 00X, but if you want to really get into the settings of the Victron I think you will still need the MkIII communication device. You use that to program with a laptop. One thing I find very annoying with the product line. But you can get a lot of the basic settings (enough to work, obviously) with DIP switches.
this is food for thought. we did buy the MK3. we have a victron monitor and a victron charger. we have not used the MK3 yet. the settings in the blue tooth phone app. seemed to be good enough. i should plug it in and see what happens.
Old 27-01-2024, 14:57   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00X View Post
this is food for thought. we did buy the MK3. we have a victron monitor and a victron charger. we have not used the MK3 yet. the settings in the blue tooth phone app. seemed to be good enough. i should plug it in and see what happens.

You should disconnect your existing charger before you do this.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 17:59   #20

Quote:
may i ask how that would be possible? what am i missing? this is the switch we have. we were hoping we could repurpose it. this was something that i was wondering about the most. these switches uusually take two inputs and send them thru the switch as a single output depending on which input is selected. in our drawing i reversed it, sending one input in from the shore power and out to two outputs depending on which one is selected. i did not know if this was possible to do with these switches? this was going to be another question for later.

https://shop.pkys.com/AC-Source-Selector-Switches

the only reason you need that switch is to have an emergency bypass incase the inverter charger failed. and you wanted AC direct from inlet to the panel. it would never be used under normal use. but your picture is totally wrong to use the switch for any purpose.

I also don't know why you have 2 input breakers. the ELCI is the main double pole breaker you don't need the 1st one

also as I noted in your other thread. you normally don't invert the entire AC panel. which you have done in this drawing. you probaly have loads that should not be inverted. which should be wired from ac2 output.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 18:04   #21

Quote:
i have read them several times. thank you. i think i am approaching this in a way where i am trying to force the multiplus into a role suited for the phoenix. we really just wanted a simple inverter for occasional use away from the dock. i am so mad i ordered the wrong unit. as i replied to a post below that i think we will exchange it for the phoenix. that restocking fee will be a little painful but i guess that is just how it goes. i will post another diagram soon for the phoenix when i have more time and my other half is back from camping.

you still need to design it correctly so the inverter doens't invert the whole ac panel and run the battery charger. that's just a never ending loop.

the multi is much better then the phenix. and allows shore power assisting and charger claw back etc. I would keep it, leave your charger as a back up or for the engine batteries.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2024, 18:14   #22

Boat: IP 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
you still need to design it correctly so the inverter doens't invert the whole ac panel and run the battery charger. that's just a never ending loop.

the multi is much better then the phenix. and allows shore power assisting and charger claw back etc. I would keep it, leave your charger as a back up or for the engine batteries.
I agree- keep the multi-plus. But the multi-plus is smart enough to know not to charge while on inverter power. Thats the great thing about it, you can charge, invert and it will pass through shore power all without doing a thing. Just hook it all up (correctly) and it works.
CrispyCringle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, wiring