Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2023, 05:18   #1

Help with solar setup

Hey solar friends, I've been working on a 200W (renogy monocrystalline) solar install on my boat and after test fitting the panels yesterday, I realized that the factory wire attached to the panels was too short for the system I had designed (see diagram). These cables are supposed to run to y connectors at the end of the pushpit, that then meet a 35' 8 gauge cable run to the charge controller (batteries are far forward in our boat unfortunately). I know that there are extension cables that can be bought, but I just want to make sure that this is a viable solution, since I am worried about a possible voltage drop from the 14AWG (factory) wire to the extension. Does anyone have tips for sizing this cable or how to address this in general?
Thank you,

Nash
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2023-04-09 081442.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	167.8 KB
ID:	273858  
nash_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 05:48   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Help with solar setup

Unless you want to take the contact boxes on the back of the panel apart and replace the standard cables with the risk of loosing the warranty. I think you should make up a set of extension cables and not worry about the 2ft 14AWG panel cables. Renogy should have sized them correctly anyway.

Go from the existing panel connectors to somewhere nice and dry were you can connect them to the Y connector. 6mm which I think is close to 8AWG is available in tinned solar cable and good at resisting the effects of sun. Wish I had seen it before running my 6mm cables half way through the boat. Instead I have them inside that plastic split flexible tubing.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2023, 06:19   #3

Boat: beneteau OC 352
Re: Help with solar setup

https://www.bluesea.com/resources/1437
knot smart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar