Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2019, 11:06   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Propane down below is likely worse than gasoline, then add in propane by volume has less energy than gas so you need more of it, but the final straw is that when out cruising propane is far more difficult to find than gasoline, and several times more expensive. It’s not uncommon to pay as much as $20 per 10 lb tank, and that 10 lb tank is equal to about 2 gls of gasoline.
Then don’t forget what aluminum propane tanks cost.

Propane has its advantages, first it won’t gum up the carburetor and secondly it burns so clean that if you use very good synthetic oil, it would seem logical that you could greatly extend oil change intervals, propane forms essentially no carbon.
But it’s expensive and difficult to get when cruising.
Tri-fuel (gasoline or propane or natural gas) propane as in already being used on most if not all US made boats. I use it with my Lehr(Propane) outboard as well. Paid 12.00 to fill at Marsh Harbour, Abacos. If not available use gasoline.....
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 11:06   #32

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

This electric and remote start kit for the Honda was posted in another thread here today:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post3039919

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
That seems like a good set of options to complement the 2000 model Honda, or two 2000 Hondas, instead of the 3000 model.
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 11:07   #33
CLOD

Boat: none

I have a 3kw diesel generator . I will give away free to anyone who wants that come next to me and lift it out. I will even toss in the water lift and 2 exhaust mufflers. Might even throw in some spare parts.
Old 20-12-2019, 11:53   #34

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Nice, but pricey.

Old 20-12-2019, 11:56   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I saw this neat little setup on Google.

Dale, can you post an actual link to that please? Is it just a cover? Or can the Honda be run inside that?
Old 20-12-2019, 12:38   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Dale,
The small Hondas are cheap, often easy to replace, have no complicated install needs and charge your batteries when solar can't. If they break, then replace it. If you want something more permanent then install a diesel genset below deck. If you pick a good one, they will outlast your life on the boat. They are far quieter and less likely to annoy your neighbors. They don't require petrol and yes they are safer. They lend themselves to a proper install.
I'd agree with you for a particular boat application. Large boat put in a good diesel. Vacation boat us Honda or a less expensive unit. Honda likes their name price wise.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 12:51   #37
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Gord, thanks , but in the real world there are thousands of Hondas on boats and of course they get filled while on the boat. Theres also thousands of outboards and gas filled Gerry cans.

Many cruisers are very capable people, if they weren't they could go around the world on a sailboat, very few if any blow themselves up with the Honda.

So let's not go there, how about we just stick to the question asked.
Wait a minute.

You may be the OP, but you have no right to dictate who can respond or how they may do so.

Though you asked the question, there may be many following that have wondered the same thing, may be following the answers, and will find them helpful, even if you don't personally wish to hear them.

This is what makes this a "public forum" rather than an e-mail.

I think Gord's post was invaluable and RIGHT ON!

BTW, you are correct, there are way too many people doing stupid stuff with gas aboard boats, and I've seen the fires to prove it.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 13:01   #38

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Dale,
The small Hondas are cheap, often easy to replace, have no complicated install needs and charge your batteries when solar can't. If they break, then replace it. If you want something more permanent then install a diesel genset below deck. If you pick a good one, they will outlast your life on the boat. They are far quieter and less likely to annoy your neighbors. They don't require petrol and yes they are safer. They lend themselves to a proper install.
Hi Paul, I've been using Hondas for 10 years.
I mainly live of solar, 500watts.

I'm not talking about a downstairs install, just curious about what creative minds have done regarding Honda placement.

I'm a motor mechanic by trade, I understand the problems. I cant justify a big genset , my needs dont require one.

The question is more curiosity than anything else.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 13:06   #39

Hi , I think it was a custom made, it wasn't for sale ,just on google images.

Google Hanse Honda generator and look at the images.

Sorry cant give you more info than that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh2002 View Post
Dale, can you post an actual link to that please? Is it just a cover? Or can the Honda be run inside that?
Old 20-12-2019, 13:07   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
Wait a minute.

You may be the OP, but you have no right to dictate who can respond or how they may do so.

Though you asked the question, there may be many following that have wondered the same thing, may be following the answers, and will find them helpful, even if you don't personally wish to hear them.

This is what makes this a "public forum" rather than an e-mail.

I think Gord's post was invaluable and RIGHT ON!

BTW, you are correct, there are way too many people doing stupid stuff with gas aboard boats, and I've seen the fires to prove it.
Go away, your annoying.
Old 20-12-2019, 13:41   #41
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

I think the mounting on the railing is even more annoying than running one on deck. It’s like finding ways to make it even louder for other boats in the anchorage. Save the money and effort and put it into more solar panels
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 13:56   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Some seem to be blind locked into thinking others are talking installing the Honda down below.
Quote:
Just curious, has anyone built one of these into their boat taking into consideration the petrol (gas) issues ,or just mounted one permanently in the cockpit area ? any pictures?
Guilty.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 14:06   #43

Ok, I'll try to be clearer.

I'm not asking if Hondas are dangerous or loud on a boat, but thanks for input.

To be more specific about built in, I'm not proposing put it downstairs to replace a regular genset, like under the front bunk etc

I was thinking more a long the lines of permanent mounting or building a box that was pleasing to the eye, or modifying a locker so that it wasnt part of inside or........

Just wondering if some creative minded fellow had done something like this ie the photo I originally attached as an example.
Old 20-12-2019, 14:22   #44
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Go away, your annoying.
For a simple 4 word sentence the average 10 year old should be able to craft correctly...

"," instead of ";"

"your" instead of "you're".

What are we to make of this?

Well, for one, that I'm not so inclined to oblige your impolite request.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 14:25   #45
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Go away, your annoying.
I liked it, but i feel you just fed it.

Tags
grass, honda