Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2019, 14:27   #46

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Honda 2000 built in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
For a simple 4 word sentence the average 10 year old should be able to craft correctly...

"," instead of ";"

"your" instead of "you're".

What are we to make of this?

Well, for one, that I'm not so inclined to oblige your impolite request.
Ok Rod, you win, please free to tell us we are all idiots and have no idea , dont forget to let us know that you're (hows that) a genius and school us in the way everything should be done, pretty much like you do in every thread you get involved in. Have you noticed most threads you venture into deteriorate rapidly?

I'm out of here, enjoy the thread.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 14:44   #47
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Some seem to be blind locked into thinking others are talking installing the Honda down below. But i think we are just talking ways to mount it above deck to make it quieter and protect it better at same time. Ive currently got mine strapped to top of a stern locker behind the cockpit. I wouldn't m d not having to remember to put the cover back on after it cools or with it being quieter.
Well, if we look at the original post...

The title does specify "built in".

Additionally, the first sentence refers to a comparable "diesel built in gen set", which, on all of the boats I've encountered them, are in fact "built in".

Then in the second sentence, we have...

"Just curious, has anyone built one of these into their boat...?"

To me, it sounds like we are talking about a "built in".

In that same sentence there is the contrast to...

"or just mounted one permanently in the cockpit area ?"

Yup, that clinches it for me, the question stating "built in" was in fact referring to "built in" as compared to "externally, permanently mounted".

So, I believe Gord May's post and the post of others was spot on.

I think any suggestion, referring to an "externally, permanently mounted" solution is wise, IF AND ONLY IF, there is provision to prevent carbon monoxide gas from entering the occupied spaces of the vessel, AND there is provision to remove the unit or it's fuel tank from the vessel for refuelling.

Just because some people do really, really dumb things, doesn't make it smart to follow suit.

A couple years ago, I had two dear friends side up to our boat in an inflatable, filled with 3 or 4 proper portable fuel containers, enroute to the fuel dock.

As the inflatable crew member was about to light a cigarette, I politely asked them to move several boat lengths away, before doing so. The inflatable owner/skipper, almost dirtied his shorts, when he noticed what I was referring to.

Sometimes people become very complacent with the highly dangerous things that surround them.

It pays to be vigilant, and it is wise and commendable for others to comment in public forums, when someone proposes something that could be very dangerous, not just for the OP, but for anyone who ever reads the responses.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 14:44   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
... we are all idiots and have no idea ...
Well, not all.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 14:53   #49
CLOD

Boat: none

Why do things go so off the rails sometimes (don't answer that).
Old 20-12-2019, 15:33   #50

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Years back when I bought my EU 2000 for hurricane backup, I added an external tank connector (Mercury Outboard) just above the shut off valve. Just disconnected the fuel line from the internal tank and connected it to the outboard fitting with a right angle adaptor.
Getting into that cowling was the biggest issue (before U tube). I did it to allow for a larger fuel supply. It also allowed me to run the carb dry (important when you only crank it up 3 or 4 times a year). Got a real workout October 2018 and made life tolerable (16 hrs a day for 8 days).

Being able to simply disconnect the fuel and run the carb dry would allow it to be safely stored below on a boat when making a passage, then return to the cockpit for hanging on the hook or wherever when you want to run her.

When we were out cruising, I was amazed at how many were standard equipment for the smaller craft cruising crowd. You got an outboard, use the same tank for the Honda. Just have to be ever mindfull of CO, that is serious stuff.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 16:25   #51

Boat: Fusion 40

If anyone is still reading this thread, all i need to do an install is a bulkhead exhaust fitting. The generator can be tucked away nicely in a ventilated compartment in the cockpit but I haven't yet worked out how to route the exhaust out the back.

Any suggestions?
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 17:33   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
THREAD DRIFT (Because I just learned this.)

They are called Jerry Cans (or jerrycans) and are named after the slang for Germans in WW2. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerrycan) Seems the Germans perfected the the design and was a much sought-after item by the Allies.

You really didn’t already know that?
The WWII Jerry can is the I believe current NATO standard small can, I don’t believe the Allies had an equal. The Jerry can being German has lots of neat accessories for it, not the least is the spout that has a nickname of a certain Mammals organ.

The US can was copied directly from the German can, but for some reason it was decided the US can had to have a screw on cap about like a 55 gl drum does, and the German hinged lid is much superior.

Modern US cans are plastic of course and not available to the public because they are not CARB compliant, they are made by Sceptre I believe.
If you have a chance to score some somehow jump on it, they will last many years longer than these pieces of junk that are CARB compliant.

Military fuel cans are black or used to be. Water cans way back were green, but since 1990 I believe they are desert tan. But I’m pretty certain the only difference is color, so brown cans would be great for Diesel.

I’m pretty sure the Military can is much sought after by the off road crowd, so they are hard or find and expensive if you do.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 17:48   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I stand corrected, they can be bought as water cans. I’ll get some myself after we get back, too late for this year
https://www.amazon.com/Scepter-Light...K1NR4A8F8ZF2VG
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 17:51   #54

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
You really didn’t already know that?
Hey some of us don't get a fancy edjumacation, then get to go play with million dollar helicopters

I really didn't know. I thought it was fascinating. Speaks to good design of the simplest things.

Back on topic, how much do the Honda's [sic for Rod] vibrate? You would think that all that motion on the rail would be detrimental in some way.
Old 20-12-2019, 17:53   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have a 3kw diesel generator . I will give away free to anyone who wants that come next to me and lift it out. I will even toss in the water lift and 2 exhaust mufflers. Might even throw in some spare parts.
What make and model?
Boatguy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 17:56   #56

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
If anyone is still reading this thread, all i need to do an install is a bulkhead exhaust fitting. The generator can be tucked away nicely in a ventilated compartment in the cockpit but I haven't yet worked out how to route the exhaust out the back.

Any suggestions?
Maybe one of those diesel heater thru hulls to get the exhaust through the transom?

These things vibrate quite a bit. You'll need flexible exhaust hose and to hang pipes off straps to keep things from rattling apart.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 18:27   #57
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
What make and model?
Lombardini lmg4000
Old 20-12-2019, 18:31   #58

It may sound silly But it has its place. I really like Smoothies especially when anchored in an idyllic tropical place with lots of juicy fruit. The smoothie machine needs Power But a Honda or built in makes noise . So go buy an extension cord that is Mast height plus ten feet ( 3m) start the Honda wrap a halyard around it and hoist it up the mast. Voila MAGIC electric power no noise, no fumes ,or smell, Your neighbours might hear it but not you.
Learned that San Blas Mexico Mike Pope
Michael Pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 18:52   #59

Boat: Riva 48

One idea I have had is to install one in the anchor locker. It will vary with the boat but in my case (Hunter 31) the anchor locker is totally air tight with an opening above and a drain below. A Honda 2000 will not fit but one of these 800W inverter-generators for $250 on Amazon at 17 x 9 x 14" and the weight is 21 lb will fit. Once you close the anchor lid it should be pretty quiet. I would then run the exhaust parallel to the water drain similar to a diesel heater exhaust. It is totally doable but I do not really need a generator yet.

I believe an 800W is sufficient because you can run most appliances, it matches the typical charger wattage for charging batteries and you can always use an inverter for bigger loads. It will even run a 6000 BTU AC if need be. However, I do agree that a bigger generator has its benefits, so you may consider making an opening in the anchor locker lid with a cap - it really depends on your boat set up.

The idea again is to use an already enclosed and air tight space on the boat which is the anchor locker on most boats. Another option is the propane locker if you have one. Then you need to convert to electric heat for cooking which net-net will probably be more efficient (electric heat is approx. 2-3x more efficient in heating pots than gas).

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2019, 19:19   #60

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

This is the box I made for Honda. I welded a elbow on muffler and routed exhaust out back of box and installed 3 flat fans to pull heat out of box. Box is insulated with 1 inch by one ft square panels foil lined. There is no bottom but a thick rubber mat is underneath. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0074.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	237.2 KB
ID:	205409
twig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass, honda