Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2020, 12:48   #1
cruiser

Honda 3000 eu wont run Feedom 20 Inverter

Inverter works great from dockpower but when the Honda 3000 eu is connected with same dock cord it will not work> I suspect the honda needs to be grounded to the boat s or Dock ground (which are the same). Could tis be true?
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 13:10   #2

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB
Re: Honda 3000 eu wont run Feedom 20 Inverter

If I understand what you are doing, mixing apples and oranges. Freedom series inverter chargers modified sine wave, Honda real sine wave. Like the Hatfield and McCoy's ain't never going to get along.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 13:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

What are you trying to do, charge your batteries? As in use the charger part?
Yes the floating ground could be an issue, but also it may be how the charger “hits”
My 125 amp charger part of my Magnum inverter / charger works fine on my Honda, but my little 60 amp Sterling surge is so great the Honda shuts down unless I have it off of eco mode.

There are many threads about the Honda floating ground, if that is an issue, one way is to buy a plug and connect the neutral and ground in the plug, don’t use this plug with shore power of course, just the Honda.

Note, I don’t know the 3000 has a floating ground, I’m sure my 2000 does as it says so right on the generator itself, does yours?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 17:08   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Inverter works great from dockpower but when the Honda 3000 eu is connected with same dock cord it will not work> I suspect the honda needs to be grounded to the boat s or Dock ground (which are the same). Could tis be true?

Try to start another load resistive load. Heat element or similar.

That will most likely start the charge. Combi units can be tricky to get going with small generators.
Oceansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 18:16   #5

When you are running the Honda, the Freedom 20 is in "charger" mode. Charge the batteries and then run the inverter. Or turn off the Honda and run the inverter.

I have a Freedom 15, but no generator. I can't think of a reason to run BOTH the I and the C of an I/C at the same time.

At least, try only one at a time.

I'll go read my Freedom manual to see if there's anything in there that says maybe not to, although I can understand if you're off at anchor, run the Honda to charge the house bank and want to run the I at the same time.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 19:46   #6

Is the freedom 230v 50hz? I have never seen a 50hz one before since they are made in USA. But maybe some are.

If it’s a 60hz product that will be why. It’s not going to accept power from an eu gen. What dock power are you plugging into?

If it’s a 50hz product turn the Power share down and see what happens. Though I would think a 3000 would run it at full.

I doubt it cares about a floating ground. Lots of freedoms are in rv’s. Likly running off Honda’s.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:02   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I have a similar problem. I have a Honda 2000i generator as a backup generator and a Heart Freedom 2500 Inverter charger. It is very convenient to be able to plug the 30amp twist lock connector directly to the generator. The bulk charge will start charging at 120 amps from the inverter which means the generator needs to produce at least 12 amps. This should not be a problem, however when I attempt this the generator trips out on overload. I had not considered the floating ground to be a problem. The reason to use the inverter and the generator at the same time is simply because when plugged into the shore power receptacle the charger part of the inverter is in play. I have the inverter turned off.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:56   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
I have a similar problem. I have a Honda 2000i generator as a backup generator and a Heart Freedom 2500 Inverter charger. It is very convenient to be able to plug the 30amp twist lock connector directly to the generator. The bulk charge will start charging at 120 amps from the inverter which means the generator needs to produce at least 12 amps. This should not be a problem, however when I attempt this the generator trips out on overload. I had not considered the floating ground to be a problem. The reason to use the inverter and the generator at the same time is simply because when plugged into the shore power receptacle the charger part of the inverter is in play. I have the inverter turned off.

That was my earlier point.

A combined I/C has EITHER the I part or the C part working.

Not BOTH at the same time.

Why?

'Cuz either "the box" is inverting or it is charging.

Can't do both at the same time.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:58   #9

Quote:

That was my earlier point.

A combined I/C has EITHER the I or the C working.

Not BOTH at the same time.

Why?

'Cuz either "the box" is inverting or it is charging.

Can't do both at the same time.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:44   #10
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

Stu
You are absolutely correct; the inverter/charger cannot invert and charge at the same time but most modern I/C can pass through mains power to feed AC loads while charging the batteries at the same time
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 20:21   #11

Quote:
A 120a Charger needs more then 12a. It’s probably closer to 20a. You need to turn the power share down if the heart has it. A 100a. Charger typical draws around 16a

A Honda 2000 will run a 60-80a charger.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
honda, inverter