Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2015, 16:34   #16

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: honda generator and air conditioning

Nope. No soft start
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 10:11   #17

Boat: Catalina C-375

I have been using my Honda 2000I invertor with my Marvair 16000 BTU A/C for some time but the margin of energy needed vs energy produced is close. My Marvair runs at 12.67 amps at 110V or 1394 watts continuous power (includes pump) which the Honda can handle even in ECO mode. The problem is the surge current when the A/C compressor kicks on can overload the Honda. To get around this I installed a Supco SPP7S Hard Start capacitor (about $18) on the A/C. I also moved the thermostat temperature probe out of the intake duct and placed it in the center of the cabin. This new placement kept the A/C from cycling on and off every 2 minutes down to every 8-10 minutes with a 2 degree built in differential on the thermostat.
When you first start your Honda turn off ECO mode to first start your A/C. Once the A/C starts to run switch your Honda back to ECO mode for less noise and fuel consumption. With the A/C compressor now running set your thermostat for the desired temp. The Supco capacitor is now being charged up. When the cabin cools down and the thermostat shuts off the compressor you will probably have a 3-7 minute pause before the cabin heats back up and the thermostat turns the compressor back on. The Supco has time to recharge during this pause. Since the Honda is now in ECO mode you will hear the Honda surge a little as it tries to restart the compressor through the Supco. You may hear this surge 4-5 times from the Honda before it finally catches and overcomes the surge load. The cycle then repeats itself. If the surge load is too great you may have to run the Honda without ECO mode and put up with the increased noise and fuel consumption but mine works fine in ECO mode as long as I do the initial startup without ECO mode.
Rod Tennyson
Catalina 375 "Lila Jean"
rodtennyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 12:25   #18

Boat: Beneteau 36cc - Pura Vida

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodtennyson View Post
I have been using my Honda 2000I invertor with my Marvair 16000 BTU A/C for some time but the margin of energy needed vs energy produced is close. My Marvair runs at 12.67 amps at 110V or 1394 watts continuous power (includes pump) which the Honda can handle even in ECO mode. The problem is the surge current when the A/C compressor kicks on can overload the Honda. To get around this I installed a Supco SPP7S Hard Start capacitor (about $18) on the A/C. I also moved the thermostat temperature probe out of the intake duct and placed it in the center of the cabin. This new placement kept the A/C from cycling on and off every 2 minutes down to every 8-10 minutes with a 2 degree built in differential on the thermostat.
When you first start your Honda turn off ECO mode to first start your A/C. Once the A/C starts to run switch your Honda back to ECO mode for less noise and fuel consumption. With the A/C compressor now running set your thermostat for the desired temp. The Supco capacitor is now being charged up. When the cabin cools down and the thermostat shuts off the compressor you will probably have a 3-7 minute pause before the cabin heats back up and the thermostat turns the compressor back on. The Supco has time to recharge during this pause. Since the Honda is now in ECO mode you will hear the Honda surge a little as it tries to restart the compressor through the Supco. You may hear this surge 4-5 times from the Honda before it finally catches and overcomes the surge load. The cycle then repeats itself. If the surge load is too great you may have to run the Honda without ECO mode and put up with the increased noise and fuel consumption but mine works fine in ECO mode as long as I do the initial startup without ECO mode.
Rod Tennyson
Catalina 375 "Lila Jean"

Do you replace the existing capacitor with the supco or do you have to add other parts? Basically is it that simple?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
galynd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:19   #19

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Honda Generator and Air Conditioning

The Supco capacitor is not "recharging" over 3-7 minutes. Most air conditioners cannot be restarted immediately after they switch off because of excess pressure inside the compressor. It usually takes 3-5 minutes before the pressure bleeds down enough that the compressor can be restarted. Most air conditioner compressor units have a built-in timer so they will not try to start immediately after turning off. Some have a relief valve that bleeds the pressure off quickly. It sounds like your unit does not have either of these features or it does not work.

The Supco system is explained a bit here http://www.supco.com/images/pdfs/AC%...%20Booklet.pdf

It is not just a capacitor. There is also a power relay involved. It may allow a Honda 2000 to run an air conditioner and it may not. It just depends on how close to the edge you are now.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioning, generator, honda