Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 12:35   #136

Boat: Hunter Legend 35.5
Re: Honda Portable Generator: Will This Work?

Hunter Legend 35.5
I am considering a transom arch and perhaps mounting a tray for the small predator 2000 on each side. I know noise may be an issue though this is only for running 110 appliances IE air fryers for mealtimes and of course with two there is power for AC at anchor... Thoughts??
embibb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 14:34   #137

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

From my perspective, this is a bad idea.

You are trying to get the conveniences of a house onto a sailboat, but your approach makes it less of a sailboat.

If you like sailing (and why else do you have a sailboat?) keep it a sailboat.

The arch adds weight aft, weight aloft, windage, and structrual problems. All of these detract from the boat's ability to sail and from your enjoyment underway.

If you need to have a house, get a house.

If you are a sailor, keep the boat a sailboat.

Don't do this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1460-Once Around Close Up.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	447.5 KB
ID:	232200  
Old 09-02-2021, 18:50   #138

I just took my Honda generator in for service. While there I asked about the Predator inverter generators. The experts tell me parts are not always available and reliability is nowhere near that of the Honda.
SV Toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:13   #139
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Welcome to the forum, embibb.

While basically agreeing with wingssail, I'd like to leave you a little room for the comforts of home while on board.

There are other solutions. One is a diesel generator mounted low and central on the boat, but that would involve quite a lot of modification. Another would be a Honda inverter generator that could be stored in a lazarette and brought out to plug into your shore cable when needed. Don't store it below - it contains gasoline.

We use a similar "pocket genset" to do 120 AC jobs when we do not want to be running the big one.

Yes, do not make your stern into a forest of stainless steel, but do work toward adding quality to your life aboard.
Old 10-02-2021, 06:51   #140

Quote:
Originally Posted by embibb View Post
Hunter Legend 35.5
I am considering a transom arch and perhaps mounting a tray for the small predator 2000 on each side. I know noise may be an issue though this is only for running 110 appliances IE air fryers for mealtimes and of course with two there is power for AC at anchor... Thoughts??
I'd probably lean towards Champion (Honda is nice but overpriced beyond any improvement in quality). Champions are widespread now, so parts should be more accessible. I would also probably lean toward a single 3000-3500w generator over 2 smaller generators. Less to maintain.

Ignore those who say you should live like you are tent camping. Nothing wrong with having comforts on the boat. If you are a racer, sure, you don't want anything that might compromise peak performance but for a typical cruiser it's not an issue to add an arch to mount stuff as long as it doesn't get so excessive.

Make sure it's a safe installation, so the exhaust doesn't wind up in the cabin via the station wagon effect (get a CO detector anyway).

We had a 2400w Yamaha on the back corner of our small 34ft catamaran and it was a great addition.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 06:57   #141
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by embibb View Post
Hunter Legend 35.5
They'll have a very short life with that kind of salt exposure.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:27   #142

The notes about safety (carbon monoxide) and service life due to exposure are really important as we all know. The 3000 to 3500 watt inverter generators are small, quiet, and provide enough power to charge batteries, microwave, pump water, power tools and lots of things withe convenient 30 amp shorepower cable, not wiring required. Check with your local small engine repair shop about parts availability and reliability. A low priced genset that is unavailable is not worth much.
SV Toucan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:52   #143
Marine Service Provider

Non USCG certified gasoline gensets on boats is EXTREMLY DANGEROUS !!! You risk a fire or explosion, BECAUSE - the exhaust system, air intake system, fuel system, electrical system is not designed for use on a boat. Also, if the worst does happen, your insurance Co will not pay, and you will be sued by the survivors [ or by their family members ] and you WILL lose in court. WHY would anyone risk people's lives by operating this unit on a boat? BOTTOM LINE - buying and installing a proper marine genset is cheaper than a funeral. Joe D
Key Wester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 07:54   #144
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Wester View Post
Non USCG certified gasoline gensets on boats is EXTREMLY DANGEROUS !!! Joe D
Please provide a link to a USCG certified genset.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:09   #145
Marine Service Provider

Next Generation Power Inc sells USCG certified marine diesel gensets for use on gasoline powered boats, as does Fischer Panda, Phasor, and I'm sure there are many others. Joe D
Old 10-02-2021, 08:11   #146
Marine Service Provider

Westerbeke, Onan, [ among others ] sells USCG certified marine gasoline gensets. Joe D
Old 10-02-2021, 08:42   #147

Quote:
Non USCG certified gasoline gensets on boats is EXTREMLY DANGEROUS !!! You risk a fire or explosion, BECAUSE - the exhaust system, air intake system, fuel system, electrical system is not designed for use on a boat. Also, if the worst does happen, your insurance Co will not pay, and you will be sued by the survivors [ or by their family members ] and you WILL lose in court. WHY would anyone risk people's lives by operating this unit on a boat? BOTTOM LINE - buying and installing a proper marine genset is cheaper than a funeral. Joe D
If you were installing the portable generator inside the hull, I would buy your argument (and I have heard of people doing this).

But similar to an outboard, these generators are designed for operation in open spaces away from the interior of the boat, so it's not applicable. Outboards generally don't meet the requirements for an inboard gasoline engine but are not a concern because any fuel leak fumes will wind up overboard and not down in the bilge. With an integrated fuel tank, there is no worse risk of explosion than with an outboard.
Old 10-02-2021, 08:50   #148
Marine Service Provider

I must disagree. Unless a gasoline genset is USCG approved, it is DANGEROUS to put on a boat, no matter the installation details! Joe D
Old 10-02-2021, 09:03   #149

Quote:
I must disagree. Unless a gasoline genset is USCG approved, it is DANGEROUS to put on a boat, no matter the installation details! Joe D
You are free to your opinion but unless you can provide the technical details of why...it's just that, your unsupported opinion.
Old 10-02-2021, 09:19   #150

Thanks for the input. I have decided to steer away from putting generators near the cockpit due to noise, fuel vapors and exhaust issues. I may consider putting a 3500 on the deck forward of the mast.
embibb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, work