Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2020, 08:37   #121

Re: Honda Portable Generator: Will This Work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul2884 View Post
Generally the sailing community are trying to reduce our carbon foot print....
Where is this written?

By default, it happens but certainly not a driving force for most cruisers we know.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 08:44   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The difference between a 2.5 kw generator and a 3.5 is insignificant, from a price perspective as well as size and weight.
Look at air conditioners for an example, about $1,500, but the 10, 12 and 16 KBTU are usually only about $100 apart.
My Nexgen 3.5 has a 6 KW generator head, my assumption is it’s like the airconditioner, not much difference in price to go smaller.

The Honda is so cheap I assume because they make them like popcorn, there are probably 100 Honda generators for every Marine genset made.
And the funny thing is the Honda is an expensive one. 15yrs ago they (along with yamaha) were the only game in town but lots of brands building them now with basically the same technology. Just saw a 3400w Champion for $650 on sale a couple weeks back.

While you can make a 2000w unit work, it works better to up it to around 3000w and portable or built in, the cost to upgrade is negligible.
Old 20-06-2020, 10:17   #123

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Built in typically doubles or triples the price and weight.
Apart from the built in gensets beeing diesel and as such more expensive and heavy as well.

In a way it makes no sense to compare the lightweight petrol driven and air cooled gensets with liquid cooled built in diesel gensets.
They are two different things and have different installations and usages.

You need a lot of power? You need the genset to run often over long periods? You have plenty of cash and weight is not important, go for an in-built marine diesel genset.

You want power of up to 2kW, a lightweight and cost effective solution to provide power occasionally and perhaps augment renewables, go for an on deck installation of an air cooled petrol driven genset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
And the funny thing is the Honda is an expensive one. 15yrs ago they (along with yamaha) were the only game in town but lots of brands building them now with basically the same technology. Just saw a 3400w Champion for $650 on sale a couple weeks back.

While you can make a 2000w unit work, it works better to up it to around 3000w and portable or built in, the cost to upgrade is negligible.
Old 20-06-2020, 11:05   #124

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ref the replacement caps, I’ve only had a couple, and neither was any good. To start with the gasket they had wasn’t fuel proof, so it would soften and swell and leak, any leak lets in air of course and the cap doesn’t work.
Then the threads weren’t “quite right” so what I ended up doing was removing the vent from the factory cap which you can do without breaking anything and tapping the hole and installing an outboard fitting, that way my dinghy fuel tank and line can be used for an extended run tank. Keep the vent because it can be reinstalled.
I threw the aluminum cap in the drink. If anyone knows of a good one that has accurate threads that won’t strip the Honda tank if tightened tight and has a fuel proof gasket I’d appreciate a link.

Google Honda Berg System. It's an extended run fuel system that I used to run two Honda's, an EU2000i and an EU2000ic when I had my travel trailer. I had taken a Tractor Supply truck tool box, put louvered vents in each end, put two Honda's in the box, with 1/2" foam insulation, exhausts pointed out the vents at either end. Had a 6" whisper fan installed blowing air INTO the box, plugged into one of the 110v outlets of one of the generators. The fan ran anytime the generator was running, compressing the air in the box and blowing the excess out the exhaust vents. 6 gallon fuel tank was positioned between the two gennys. I never had any problems with overtemp (temp in box ran about 5 to 8 degrees over ambient air temp) sound was muffled by box, CO was never a problem, and the Berg extended run tank system never leaked, and ran for quite a long time. The Berg caps never leaked, and the gaskets never deteriorated.

Note: I am NOT advocating this setup for on board a boat without modifications, but it CAN be done safely and efficiently.
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 11:27   #125

Location: Florida, Off the Caloosahatchee Canal for the Summer
Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

One other item, we don't currently have a boat, but are actively looking, but I would probably take one of the Honda's (we didn't sell with the travel trailer) with us as an emergency backup, properly stored, etc, but if I were in the market to buy a similar sized gasoline generator right now, I would purchase the Harbor Freight Predator 2000.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...tor-62523.html

Built similar to the Honda EU2000 design (they are being sued by Honda for patent infringement), it is rated almost identical to the Honda EU2000 by Consumer reports. Has an integral hour meter as well, which Honda doesn't have. We added simple, inexpensive inductive hour meters for maintenance purposes. Note: The Honda incorporates a fuel pump, so it can draw fuel from a fuel tank that is well below the height of the generator (4" to 5' below). Predator sells for $500.00 vs around $1,000.00 for the Honda . . .
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 12:24   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Built in typically doubles or triples the price and weight.
Apart from the built in gensets beeing diesel and as such more expensive and heavy as well.

In a way it makes no sense to compare the lightweight petrol driven and air cooled gensets with liquid cooled built in diesel gensets.
They are two different things and have different installations and usages.

You need a lot of power? You need the genset to run often over long periods? You have plenty of cash and weight is not important, go for an in-built marine diesel genset.

You want power of up to 2kW, a lightweight and cost effective solution to provide power occasionally and perhaps augment renewables, go for an on deck installation of an air cooled petrol driven genset.
I was referring to the different brands of portable inverter generators.

15yrs ago it was honda or yamaha, if you wanted to get away from the open frame construction generators.

Now there's a bunch of brands and it has really driven down the cost and the difference in noise level and quality is fast shrinking.
Old 20-06-2020, 13:51   #127

Ok. I understood that differently.
Yes prices came down, but the Honda's are still very much the gold standard, a bit like the Yamaha's when it comes to outboards.
Old 20-06-2020, 17:11   #128

Boat: MacGregor 25

Has anyone tried Zero Breeze. It appears to be a small AC unit that runs off of a battery.
The most cruising I do is three days. I have a small boat.
I wonder if a Zero Breeze would cool off the boat in Florida just before bed. https://www.zerobreeze.com
patrickfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 02:43   #129

Boat: Summer Twins 25

What ever the final set up is, you should get some temperature monitoring, either permanent or you can buy USB ones that charge up unplug them and drop them in and around the generator Box, then run the Generator for at least 4 hours fully loaded, ideally on a warm day.
and record and review the temperatures - if you don’t do this then you have no idea if your genset or boat is at risk.
Normally it’s better to have a set up where you can see the temp during the 4 hours so that you can abandon testing if it’s not working.
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 08:22   #130

Boat: 35' sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueH2Obound View Post
One other item, we don't currently have a boat, but are actively looking, but I would probably take one of the Honda's (we didn't sell with the travel trailer) with us as an emergency backup, properly stored, etc, but if I were in the market to buy a similar sized gasoline generator right now, I would purchase the Harbor Freight Predator 2000.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2000-w...tor-62523.html

Built similar to the Honda EU2000 design (they are being sued by Honda for patent infringement), it is rated almost identical to the Honda EU2000 by Consumer reports. Has an integral hour meter as well, which Honda doesn't have. We added simple, inexpensive inductive hour meters for maintenance purposes. Note: The Honda incorporates a fuel pump, so it can draw fuel from a fuel tank that is well below the height of the generator (4" to 5' below). Predator sells for $500.00 vs around $1,000.00 for the Honda . . .
I've read enough answers to form mine. First it seems you're endulging a fantasy. Just what are you going to be running on that gen-set? Keep it on all the time while sailing? Tricking out your boat for some kinda show on how much I can do?
You'll need the gen-set when on the hook or during a storm power outage.
You don't want anything that needs more maintainance than necessasary.
Now ... my Honda is amidship between traveler and coach roof hatch. It's secured between two starboard tabs and lashed down. Cable and lock deter theft. The only place it might go is for and aft, and if I'm in that much trouble I ain't worried about a generator anymore.
p.s. it runs all I need, a/c, coffee maker and tv if I can get it. Hardly notice that Honda just above me either. And ... it runs all night.
Tonali99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2020, 08:36   #131
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickfarley View Post
Has anyone tried Zero Breeze. It appears to be a small AC unit that runs off of a battery.
The most cruising I do is three days. I have a small boat.
I wonder if a Zero Breeze would cool off the boat in Florida just before bed. https://www.zerobreeze.com

It works, but can’t work very well as it’s limited to the power a tiny battery can provide, and you have to recharge the battery.
Secondly and likely more important, if you cool the boat down real well with say a full size AC, 30 min after shutting it off, it’s stuffy and hot in the boat, so you open up the boat and in 10 min, it’s exactly the same as if you never ran an AC.
I know, I’ve tried.
You only need or really want AC when there is no breeze, with a breeze it’s tolerable. A fan can make a breeze, and you have a good shot of being able to run fans off of your battery bank all night.

In six years I’ve only run the AC all night a couple of times and that was before we started cruising and were down in the Keys etc In July on our two week yearly vacation.

Now when it’s Africa hot in Fl, it’s also Hurricane season, and we take as sheltered a marina as we can find, and of course then have shorepower.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2020, 05:21   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Ok. I understood that differently.
Yes prices came down, but the Honda's are still very much the gold standard, a bit like the Yamaha's when it comes to outboards.
They do take a lot more gold to obtain compared to other brands.

I don't know about how much better they are. People talking about having them for 10-15yrs are talking about a comparison that the other brands can't match, not because of quality but because they weren't being built back then.
Old 22-06-2020, 06:35   #133

I just started a new thread on cooling in a more energy efficient way than an AC.
It won't be achieving the same results as an AC, but 4-5degree centigrade should be possible.

Look under "Evaporate cooling".
Old 22-06-2020, 10:57   #134

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Please tell me if this solution will work with a Honda Portable generator?

Please suggest improvements. primary concern is safety due to CO in exhaust. I will multiple CO detectors installed. If all hatches and companion are shut would you sleep with the generator running with generator installed as described below?

1. Place Generator in plastic storage(see link below).

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Plasti.../dp/B06X1853L6

2. Attached Fan at link below on inside of storage box where the large vents are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LFOCKWCW&psc=1

3. Secure storage box in lazerette locker

4. Cut hole and install vent at link below on outside of lazerette locker facing into cockpit.

https://www.boaterbits.ca/products/b...louvered-white

5. Run 8' exhaust extension(see link below) through top of hull abaft the port quarter(I think abaft the port or starboard quarter is better than astern because when at anchor with bow pointing into the wind there can be suction just astern that potentially can cause exhaust to come inboard).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GM28NC48&psc=1

6. Run cord from generator output to shore power input

7. Power Honda Portable generator using propane from 20 lb propane tank(the kind you can exchange rather refill), that is inside lazerette secured next to Honda Portable Generator.

7. Alternatives to #1 to #2 above: are (A) Install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4 OR, (B) skip using storage box per #1 and install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4. Which of the three alternatives do you think is better?
Been using my Honda 2200 for a few yrs now. Sits on deck aft of the cockpit and I'm usually on anchor, so no cross winds pushing exhaust back.. Never had a problem and its quiet. I store it in a on deck box. I get about 8 hrs of run time per gal, which is more than enough for me to charge and run AC if needed.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2020, 13:54   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augi View Post
Please tell me if this solution will work with a Honda Portable generator?

Please suggest improvements. primary concern is safety due to CO in exhaust. I will multiple CO detectors installed. If all hatches and companion are shut would you sleep with the generator running with generator installed as described below?

1. Place Generator in plastic storage(see link below).

https://www.amazon.com/Custom-Plasti.../dp/B06X1853L6

2. Attached Fan at link below on inside of storage box where the large vents are

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...LFOCKWCW&psc=1

3. Secure storage box in lazerette locker

4. Cut hole and install vent at link below on outside of lazerette locker facing into cockpit.

https://www.boaterbits.ca/products/b...louvered-white

5. Run 8' exhaust extension(see link below) through top of hull abaft the port quarter(I think abaft the port or starboard quarter is better than astern because when at anchor with bow pointing into the wind there can be suction just astern that potentially can cause exhaust to come inboard).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...GM28NC48&psc=1

6. Run cord from generator output to shore power input

7. Power Honda Portable generator using propane from 20 lb propane tank(the kind you can exchange rather refill), that is inside lazerette secured next to Honda Portable Generator.

7. Alternatives to #1 to #2 above: are (A) Install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4 OR, (B) skip using storage box per #1 and install fan on inside of lazerette where air vent to outside is located per #4. Which of the three alternatives do you think is better?
Price Ouote for Kubota powered Phasor Marine Generators per Alan at Southeastern Power, the manufacturer

4.5 KW $6950 Genset + $1350 Sound Shield 2 cylinder 1800 RPM

3.5 KW $5200 Genset + $1250 Sound Shield 1 cylinder 2800 RPM

A rough estimate for installation including the typical additional parts needed in South Florida is $5K.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, honda, work