Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2009, 13:21   #31

Grunzter, as you've likely figured out, this could have ended up much much worse. When you forced that plug in you were connecting a neutral/hot/ground to hot/hot/neutral. It's sort of Russian roulette. Hopefully, you can reset the inverter as sailingmonaca suggests.

Here's the adapter you need:

Locking Shore Power Adapter

But - even after you get the right adapter - do not use the outlet that has no ground contact! This is really dangerous. You should also tell the marina as someone could be killed by that thing.

Boat AC systems are very dangerous without a good ground. European boats are required to have a ground fault interrupter (RCBO) that provides some protection but US standards just assume the ground is connected. The adapter will connect the ground of your 30amp cord to the missing collar contact so you will have no ground.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2009, 17:25   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
I am always amazed by the expertise and helpfulness around here.

Another good lesson, taught to me by my father, is to never force anything. Engineers tend to be a relatively smart lot. The don't often design things that require hammers and swearing to put together.

Rain, dark, anticipation of getting powered up all conspired in this case. Slow down to hurry up.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:56   #33
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
As it appears that you are somewhat of a novice re: shore power and always trying to be the voice of caution; I would highly recommend that you have a qualified marine electrician check out your shore power system from the shore pedestal to your panel board. Take notes. Don't "talk to somebody on the dock." Pay for a couple of hours of professional troubleshooting and advice.

By the way; and not trying to be dramatic, but: 30 mA of 120 VAC will kill you DEAD.

It is fairly obvious that you applied 250 VAC to the incoming hot and neutral that, if your inverter/charger is wired as many are, this means that your inverter/charger saw 250 VAC instead of the 120 VAC it was designed for. The marine electrician can remove the inverter/charger and replace it with a terminal strip to get you up and running. Contact me via IM for a repair facility that may be able to resuscitate your inverter/charger.

Get safe.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 16:45   #34
Marine Service Provider

Charlie,

Finally had a pro come down today to take a quick look. Everything seems to be ok. Tomorrow he's coming back to open up the inverter, which he thinks is the root of the problem. Potentially toasted, but hopefully just a big old blown fuse.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 16:55   #35

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
walmart won't have a 50a 125/250v x 30a 125v adaptor. If you got it plugged in, you sent 220 to your inverter. 110 on the hot wire, 110 on the neutral wire, ground acting as neutral.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:01   #36

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Re: How F***ed Am I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Charlie,

Finally had a pro come down today to take a quick look. Everything seems to be ok. Tomorrow he's coming back to open up the inverter, which he thinks is the root of the problem. Potentially toasted, but hopefully just a big old blown fuse.
Hopefully there was no emotional scaring, and if there was, it's healed.
But I'm too curious not to ask, what was the final outcome? Was your inverter okay?

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:11   #37
Marine Service Provider

Long healed. Inverter was toast, though. Whoever did the install, wired shore power directly to the inverter, and then to the breaker. Not a good idea!
Old 27-02-2011, 20:12   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

You said it took you 15 minutes to jam your connectors together. If you have the correct adapters then nothing needs to be forced together. I suspect an incorrect adapter.

Marine grade shore power adapters are more corrosion resistant although not worth the additional price. Everything is either stainless, brass or chromed brass...no steel whatsoever.

Get some adapters at a really good hardware store and put a little silicone grease on the contacts to slow down the oxidation. Make sure the pattern and voltage/amp rating is exact to the dock outlet and your boats connector.

This reminds me, I have actually seen people try to jam 20 amp and 30 amp twist lock connectors together and almost accomplish it.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:14   #39
Marine Service Provider

Yes wrong adapter. This was over a year ago, though.
Old 27-02-2011, 20:17   #40

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Long healed. Inverter was toast, though. Whoever did the install, wired shore power directly to the inverter, and then to the breaker. Not a good idea!
Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote