Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2022, 07:20   #1

How is my AC install?

In this photo we see most of my recently purchased boat's AC systems. Came as is. I haven't used shore power or the inverter yet, I don't want to fry everything right away.

The DC 12v side works perfectly with 200w solar 2 banks of 2 batteries each and a mppt controller.

I poorly understand ac systems and know it's more safety critical. So looking for help.

Does this look normal? Anything missing? Can I just turn this on and use it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BA1BCB1-CB4E-44B0-8E20-306C5BBAAEA3.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	265206  
greenlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:13   #2

Re: How is my AC install?

LOTS not to like here.

I assume this is a 12V battery system. The wires carrying DC power to that 1000W inverter look to be GROSSLY undersized for carrying the 80+ Amps needed to generate 1000W of 220V power. Ironically, this 12V connection is likely the most immediately dangerous thing here. 12V electricity is less dangerous to your body, but because of the MUCH higher current flows is more likely to start fires.

The connections to the breaker should be in a box.

Connections like those in the DC feed to the inverter that are hidden inside electrical tape are highly suspect. I am betting there are not nice, clean, waterproof crimps under there...

Wires should be supported at least every 0.5 meters, and always near their termination points.

Chafe protection is needed where those wires run over the sharp bulkhead corner.

I don't know enough about European wiring codes to offer a definitive comment, but having a 220V plug act as a distribution box seems VERY dicey to me. I wouldn't ever do that.

As a general comment, I don't think that household plugs are really suitable for permanently connected equipment on a boat. Sometimes unavoidable, but humidity, moisture, vibration, movement, etc. make them unreliable.

This is likely NOT a complete list. It's impossible from a photo to determine that everything is just fine.

This is an amateur job by someone who didn't have a good idea about how to do things on a boat. If there are other modifications to the electrical system on this boat, it would be well worth having someone qualified have a detailed review of it.
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 08:33   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Those AC wires hanging in the breeze without any support, (orange wires,) appear to be just some sections of extension cord, not so good.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:48   #4

Good comments. I thought it looked dodgy. It's why I haven't used it and asking... So now I'm learning what exactly is problematic.

Yes 12 v
What would be better distribution box? What is a standard for cabling in this type of system?

Attaching wire support I can handle but the other stuff is over my head. I think I'll let some pro do it. I would like to understand what's going on here though... Any comments are welcome...
greenlantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:06   #5

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

All excellent points above. I would add, are the DC wires to the inverters correctly fused where they originate? Does the inverter on the left have a fused AC output, so the wires to the outlet that is out of sight, are protected?
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 09:06   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

The use of 220 V sockets like this and to plug in things like immersions and battery chargers is quite common.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:37   #7

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The use of 220 V sockets like this and to plug in things like immersions and battery chargers is quite common.
It's also common in the US and Canada, nothing inherently wrong with it.
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote