Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2012, 09:35   #16

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: How many 30 Amp inlets?

"Pedestal has two 220/125 V 50 amp outlets"

Sounds like a split phase 240v system like as in a standard house.
Voltage from hot to hot 240 or 220v AC
Voltage from hot to neutral is 120v or 125v
Hots are on separate phases, so if you graphed the sine waves they would overlap each other.

So the splitter takes each hot wire in the 50 amp circuit and sends it on, one to each 30 amp plug
the neutral is split in two and shared down to the 30 amp outlets.
Ground is just ground.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:08   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

$1000...Wow, I didn't realize they were requiring FAA-approved parts. (sigh)

Stu-
Offhand I agree with you about management, but it isn't always cheaper.
I knew a business where the water main for the plant came in through the loading bay wall up near the ceiling, for some arcane reason. The plant manager and regular driver knew to back the trucks in on the other side. So one day a new driver backs in neatly in the middle and shears off the water main. (Which among other things trips the sprinkler alarm and brings the firemen, who are not amused.)
What does the plant manager do? Calls a plumber, has the pipe fixed. I asked him, aren't you going to at least have some angle iron bolted up to guard that, so it won't happen again? "Oh, no, we don't need to do that, the driver should know better."
Yeah, well....When the resources allow it, I have to say I prefer systems that protect themselves from "pilot error".

$1000 for what is still basically a power cord...wow, and here I thought vacuum cleaners were overpriced.

Sailorman, the only caveats I would see on adding a dedicated line for the AC, are to make sure there are reverse polarity (netural/ground swap, etc.) indicators on BOTH AC lines, on the panel. Because sometimes, neutral and ground get swapped and odd things happen. And of course, you need to make sure both feeds are totally isolated, in case you wind up on two phases of the shore power, which apparently can result in 240VAC faults when the gremlins get loose. You'd have to ask the pros, but that might mean no common ground between the systems as well. I've seen some odd threads about potential glitches like that, and while your marina may be all new and shiny and up to code...Was it Edison or Tesla, that said AC electricity would just sneak out of the socket and electrocute people in the night?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:24   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
It's insane isnt' it!!

I just pulled some numbers from defender,

50A 125/250 adapter $190

50A 125 50' cord $558

50A 125 boat inlet $165

50A double pole breaker $31

25' 8/3 wire Guestimate of $250
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:57   #19

Boat: Corbin39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor

Stu-
Offhand I agree with you about management, but it isn't always cheaper.
I knew a business where the water main for the plant came in through the loading bay wall up near the ceiling, for some arcane reason. The plant manager and regular driver knew to back the trucks in on the other side. So one day a new driver backs in neatly in the middle and shears off the water main. (Which among other things trips the sprinkler alarm and brings the firemen, who are not amused.)
What does the plant manager do? Calls a plumber, has the pipe fixed. I asked him, aren't you going to at least have some angle iron bolted up to guard that, so it won't happen again? "Oh, no, we don't need to do that, the driver should know better."
Yeah, well....When the resources allow it, I have to say I prefer systems that protect themselves from "pilot error".

$1000 for what is still basically a power cord...wow, and here I thought vacuum cleaners were overpriced.

Sailorman, the only caveats I would see on adding a dedicated line for the AC, are to make sure there are reverse polarity (netural/ground swap, etc.) indicators on BOTH AC lines, on the panel. Because sometimes, neutral and ground get swapped and odd things happen. And of course, you need to make sure both feeds are totally isolated, in case you wind up on two phases of the shore power, which apparently can result in 240VAC faults when the gremlins get loose. You'd have to ask the pros, but that might mean no common ground between the systems as well. I've seen some odd threads about potential glitches like that, and while your marina may be all new and shiny and up to code...Was it Edison or Tesla, that said AC electricity would just sneak out of the socket and electrocute people in the night?
It was Edison, he was trying to promote hid DC over Tesla's AC . These cords are crazy priced, I've made my own but weather proofing can be an issue, I just use the management method, no worries
Agape39 is offline   Reply With Quote